Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I had heard that RDjr's contract expired with #3, but I thought Avengers 2 was already in development, and I can't imagine them doing it without RDjr. As far as solo films, Iron Man now has his trilogy, and everything was wrapped up nicely in #3, so a 4th film seems unnecessary. Plus, given Iron Man never had a great rogues gallery to begin with, I'm not sure who the villain would be for #4. Still, I'm hoping RDjr returns for Avengers 2. Thanos is one of my all-time fav villains, and a legitimately bigger threat than Loki, so I can't wait to see the Avengers take him on. Anyone who wants a crash course on Thanos should check out the original Infinity Gauntlet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure Disney will do whatever it takes to get Robert back. While I agree one actor shouldn't be the end all be all, recasting him for the film will stick out like a sore thumb, and that's going to make Disney look bad... and internet being the internet, they'll blame whoever were to replace him for replacing him.

I really think they can just do with Robert for 2 more Avengers movies and maybe some sort of cameo in one of the Disney owned MCU films. As for a fourth movie, I really don't think we need one. Iron Man 3 pushed it. It made one of the rare good third movies based on a super hero/comic book property. 4 is usually where things really fall apart. I mean, Batman Forever was flawed, but enjoyable... no one likes Batman and Robin.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Untrue; people LOVE Batman and Robin, but for all the wrong reasons. It's such a trainwreck of a film that it's really fun to watch. Still have to get the Rifftrax for it.

Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness 2 days in a row. *Spoiler* Khan *Spoiler* Way better than the first one, and every major character has plenty of great lines and moments, except Chekov, because he's just the worst. Simon Pegg is hilarious as Scotty, who has way more to do in this film than in the first. The action was great, and we finally get to see the new look of the Klingons.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness 2 days in a row. *Spoiler* Khan *Spoiler* Way better than the first one, and every major character has plenty of great lines and moments, except Chekov, because he's just the worst. Simon Pegg is hilarious as Scotty, who has way more to do in this film than in the first. The action was great, and we finally get to see the new look of the Klingons.
Just saw it as well. I do enjoy the characters a lot more this time around. Last time I thought Spock was totally wrong, but he's improved a lot. It helps that he's finally able to bounce off Kirk.

Still, I don't think the actors were serviced well by the script. Story wise, there was very little there. Clearly most of the effort went to the special effects, rather than the writing. And frankly, as a Trekkie I found the villain downright insulting and disrespectful, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Because it's a film discussion thread, I'm sure everyone heard how they redesigned Merida to fit into the Disney Princess line up of toys, an how people aren't happy about it.

My question is... this is an issue NOW?!?!? Every Disney "Princess" since Ariel has been independent and could hold her own. And yet, they've all been thrust into the "girls must wear princessy dresses, no excuses" gender ghetto. The only difference is, while Disney owns Pixar, Pixar created the character and thus shouldn't count. Also, Merida isn't a... well... she isn't a Disney Princess that drank a lot of milk and developed faster. And some of the princesses aren't even princesses anyway. I call B.S. on Mulan. Not only isn't she a princess, she was doing essentially what Merida did,... toss off gender stereotypes to show she was as good, or better, than the boys. And here she is in ballroom gowns drinking tea.

Yeah...

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I saw Iron Man 3 and liked it overall. I just wish they'd come up with a different storyline rather than having the bad guys trying to steal the Iron Suit. C'mon, Marvel! The plot is getting stale.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Because it's a film discussion thread, I'm sure everyone heard how they redesigned Merida to fit into the Disney Princess line up of toys, an how people aren't happy about it.

My question is... this is an issue NOW?!?!? Every Disney "Princess" since Ariel has been independent and could hold her own. And yet, they've all been thrust into the "girls must wear princessy dresses, no excuses" gender ghetto.
Well they wouldn't be doing it if people weren't buying. That's the name of the game. And frankly I'm just as tired of the cliche independent girl who "wants more." Lol. The original Disney princesses (Snow White, Cinderella) were strong because they remained good person in the face of abuse. Not because they kicked some cliche butt, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just have that problem with the brand overall. They make these heroines "cliches" because the Princess looking for her man cliche is worse and rife with unfortunate implications. They manage to pair these girls up with the hero of the movie in a subtle way, and I applaud that. But making the Princesses sit around wearing dresses and drinking tea... that's like marketing Homer Simpson on low calorie vegan frozen dinners. Merchandising should be true to the character(s).

Drtooth

Reaction score
More hilarious Hollywood bookkeeping.

Apparently, Star Trek 2's a disappointment because it got 5 million dollars less than the opening of the last one, despite dethroning Marvel money Maker Iron Man 3, which slumped down to 35 mil or so over the weekened.

Seriously... I love how these movie studios think that films absolutely poo out billion dollar bills and are failures when, while they reach number 1, they fail to reach number 1 by more points. It's all about the scale, isn't it? Had this been released in March and got less than 40 mil when headed into the top, they'd sign it to 3 more movies at the spot... but just short of expectations during the beginning of summer is a flop. :rolleyes:

robodog

Reaction score
The summer movie season hasn't even really kicked into high gear yet. How greedy are these executives when a movie making just 5 million less than it's predecessor is considered a dissapointment?