Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Does anyone plan on seeing Oblivion on here, ANYONE, I'm not trying to force you guys to see the movie, I'm just wondering if some of you are going to see the movie

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Does anyone plan on seeing Oblivion on here, ANYONE, I'm not trying to force you guys to see the movie, I'm just wondering if some of you are going to see the movie
Well, I hate Tom Cruise, and the whole post-Apocalypse theme has been done to death, so unless it gets truly glowing reviews, I won't be seeing it. I'll have to wait and see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate being the nostalgic guy since I rail on it so much... whatever happened to good parody movies? The First Scary Movie actually was pretty good considering. Then they ha to go and change the directors with the third one, and then the really bad ones started crapping out.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Lack of subtly? The problem with Scary Movie and ____ Movie is that it crosses the line between parody and plagiarism. The first Scream movie was meant to be a parody but that was lost on people (to be honest, I didn't realize it was a parody at first either :embarrassed:) so I guess somewhere along the lines someone decided that if it wasn't smacking you in the face that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously no one would get it.

But the problem with the ____ Movies are just pretty much stealing scenes from movies, stringing them together, and making some crude joke with them. Here's a nice video about Epic Movie and why it sucked so badly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lack of subtly? The problem with Scary Movie and ____ Movie is that it crosses the line between parody and plagiarism. The first Scream movie was meant to be a parody but that was lost on people (to be honest, I didn't realize it was a parody at first either :embarrassed:) so I guess somewhere along the lines someone decided that if it wasn't smacking you in the face that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously no one would get it.
The problem was that they were parodying Scream. And Scream was supposed to be a satire in the first place.

The Freidberg/Selzer movies are just as many references they can fit into a single film. They don't even bother watching them, and steal them based on the previews. They even accidentally stole the Wolverine giving the finger with his claws thing that was in the actual X-Men movie. That shows how little care they put into them. But for some reason they make money. They really are better adept at making a terrible sketch comedy series than films.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Another problem with most of these spoof movies is that the plot constantly gets sidetracked by gags and references. I admit to kinda liking Superhero Movie (not produced by Seltzerburger, BTW) because at least there it attempts to tell an actual story while spoofing the superhero genre at the same time.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Another problem with most of these spoof movies is that the plot constantly gets sidetracked by gags and references. I admit to kinda liking Superhero Movie (not produced by Seltzerburger, BTW) because at least there it attempts to tell an actual story while spoofing the superhero genre at the same time.
Yes, Superhero Movie was OK compared with the other __ Movies, if only because of the superb Christopher Macdonald as the villain.