Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
The G.I. Joe movie was an unexpected hit at over 50 million since the early Thursday releasew, and it's gaining a lot of money overseas as well. So to no one's surprise, they're considering a third.

Wow. What a difference a sequel makes. The last one was bombarded by critics, it opening in August and disappeared quickly as a result. They actually did the right thing for this film by reshooting scenes and waiting until March and everyone forgetting Battleship (which was a stupid idea anyway). I mean, too bad a TV show had to suffer, but even I want to check this out now.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I thought Cabin in the Woods had been the last nail in the coffin of such pictures, but the Evil Dead reboot was good. Moan and groan all you want about reboots and lack of originality in Hollywood. Evil Dead 2 was kind of a reboot of the first picture anyway and this new version has the blessing of the original team. Raimi and Campbell are even listed as producers.

While the original film played a lot of the sequences for laughs, this one more direct and allows the audience to react to the absurdity in their own way. Modern audiences are cynical and aware of the many overused manipulative tricks, so this was the right way to go. I can't remember the last time I laughed and screamed so much in a theater. Bring on the sequels! Evil Dead::eek::eek::eek:1/2 (out of 5).

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the thing about Reboots/remakes. The bad ones tend to outnumber the good ones, and paint the good ones as bad. I'd see that in time, after I saw the originals. The closest I've gone to seeing the original was that episode of Reboot.

Wonder if this film goes by the name Captain Supermarket in Japan, too.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Saw the 11:45am showing of Evil Dead. It was very good.

*MAJOR SPOILERS*

It's a sequel, not a remake. There's a 1-second after-credits sequence featuring Ash (Bruce Campbell) saying "Groovy," implying it takes place after the original trilogy. I liked the plot; it's not just five ***** college kids going to a summer cabin to screw around, they're there to help Mia (Jane Levy) kick her heroin addiction through an intervention of sorts. So when Mia starts saying and doing crazy stuff, they all think it's just withdrawal. By the time they realize she's actually possessed, it's WAY too late.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I saw JP: 3D Imax yesterday. The 3D was OKAY, which is the case with any movie not originally filmed with a 3D camera, but seeing it on a bigger screen was cool. JP is one of my all-time fav films, but I still picked up on things I never noticed before. I was 7 when it came out, so this was my 1st time seeing it in theaters. Richard Attenborough is by far the best actor in the film, nailing the role of childish billionaire Hammond, who is willing to sacrifice any amount of money (and human lives) to see his dream realized. Hammond comes off as a kind and well-meaning, yet naive and arrogant old man in the film, but I always thought he was a sinister character. The whole thing is basically his fault, and others pay with their lives for his mistakes. I would highly recommend any fan of the film check out the original novel; there's enough differences to make it interesting even if you can quote the movie front to back (for example, A LOT of characters who die in the film live in the book and vice versa).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I suspect that no movie is ever like the book because they made a deal with the educational system to screw kids who don't read for their book reports and use the movie instead.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Sometimes, I'm actually glad they change some stuff for the movies. I don't like seeing a carbon copy of the book on-screen. I'd like to see how they change it around and adapt it for film or movies. I don't like when the script is exactly like it is in the book.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I suspect that no movie is ever like the book because they made a deal with the educational system to screw kids who don't read for their book reports and use the movie instead.
Interesting theory:smile:. I agree with Muppetfan123 that it's best when the movie and the book are fairly different. As I said, many characters who live in the JP movie die in the novel and vice versa (e.g. Robert Muldoon lives in the book). Muldoon was my favorite character from the book, so I am a little upset they chose to kill him off in the movie. At least he died a noble death, sacrificing himself while protecting Dr. Sattler.