VCR ALERT: Gorch on NBC

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
This weekend, NBC is airing a 1975 SNL episode in its "NBC All Night" time slot. It's the one with Elliot Gould and Anne Murray, and it contains the sketch where Ploobis becomes suspicious that his wife is having an affair. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they keep this sketch in the show. :smirk:

If your NBC affiliate airs these classic episodes, then set your VCRs or TiVo and enjoy! :smile:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek:

THANK YOU!!!

Ever since I began watching SNL, I've been recording the episodes so I can watch what I missed. Now I'll finally get to see a full Gorch sketch (I hope!). Thanks!!

How did you find this out?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
They kept the sketch. Boy, it's one thing to read it, but when you actually see it...

Based on what they were saying, I kept forgetting they were Muppets! But I can see why they didn't work within the context of the show. Still, a pretty funny sketch. Thanks again!

beaker

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
They kept the sketch. Boy, it's one thing to read it, but when you actually see it...

Based on what they were saying, I kept forgetting they were Muppets! But I can see why they didn't work within the context of the show. Still, a pretty funny sketch. Thanks again!

heh, and you havent seen the super controversial Gorch sketches:smile:

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Neither have I!

I didn't bother taping this because I already got it when Prime here in Canada started airing classic SNL last August. They showed edited hour-long episodes, so I wasn't very optimistic at first. I expected they would probably show the episode where Scred and Lily Tomlin sing together, (since according to TP that one usually stays in the re-runs.) but none of the rest. I was very delighted to be wrong, though! They showed eight in total, and I got all of them. They were (in the order they were aired) :

1. Peuta's darts (George Carlin - debut episode)
2. Gorch on the brink of default (Paul Simon)
3. Scred and Lily Tomlin (host) sing "I Got You Babe"
4. Ploobis and Scred get drunk (Richard Pryor) the funniest, IMO
5. Peuta and Scred's affair (Buck Henry/Elliot Gould)
6. Scred dressed up as bee talking with Gilda Radner (Dudley Moore)
7. Gorch destroyed (Anthony Perkins)
8. Mighty Favog tells them to "pack it in" (Raquel Welch)

I was a bit disappointed they didn't air the "crater head" skit. (they aired the episode, but the skit was cut) I also would liked to have seen the one where Peuta and Scred....um....spice things up! :embarrassed: But I can understand why they decided not to air these two skits in particular. They aired at 5pm, and at that time it would have been too easy for young kids to see them. Of all the skits, I'd say these two are probably the most risque.

It would be nice if Henson made these available to the public on DVD, because these skits are so unique -- more adult than anything the Muppets have ever done before or since. Unfortunately for that very reason, I doubt they ever will. :frown:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
beaker said:
heh, and you havent seen the super controversial Gorch sketches:smile:
I read about them.. good grief! :eek: The sketch from the following week was just strange!

I read that that particular sketch (which, for family audiences, we should probably call "#10") upset Jane Henson.

Dantecat

Reaction score
What time is this episode going to start tonight Boober Gorg :confused:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
It would be nice if Henson made these available to the public on DVD, because these skits are so unique -- more adult than anything the Muppets have ever done before or since. Unfortunately for that very reason, I doubt they ever will. :frown:
It would be NBC-Universal who would make that call. Since they own SNL, the can release any skits (or collection of skits, or musical performances, ect.) from the show on DVD. The Jim Henson Company does not need to be apart of that decision, or even agree. It is all up to NBC to do so, just like the "Muppet Magic" Ed Sullivan DVD was done by SOFA (the company that owns Ed Sullivan Show). But I doubt NBC will, they're more focused on selling the Best of Jimmy Fallon, The Best Will Farrell, The Best of Adam Sandler, and The Best of Chris Farley on DVD to spend time creating a collection of anything with the rare lesser known classic material(...and I mean classic; back from season 1). Although it could happen; but that's not a Henson call.

Dantecat said:
What time is this episode going to start tonight Boober Gorg
You missed it, it was last Saturday (Jan 22); this weekend (Jan 29), the "Classic SNL" episode is from season 2 of the SNL (after the Muppets were gone), with host Candice Bergen, and musical guest Frank Zappa. (FYI- The regular episode this week is a repeat of the recent episode with host Colin Farrell and the music Scissor Sisters).

The regular (or new) episodes of SNL are on at 11:30PM on Saturday nights on NBC; the "Classic SNL" episodes are either directly afterwards (which would be at 1:00AM); or are after "Showtime at the Apollo" (which would follow SNL, and would put the "Classic SNL" on at 2:00AM); or your local NBC station may not carry "Classic SNL". You'd have to check you local listings to see what your NBC affiliate does in reguards to "Classic SNL"; but it is usally late on Saturday (or should I say early Sunday).

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
I saw the classic episode last night, and in the beginning, in the "Casablanca" parody, John Belushi (in a Bogart voice) tells Candice Bergen that "We'll always have the Muppets" :smile:
I had forgotten that this episode was from season two, because I saw it was both Christmas-themed AND hosted by Candy, and thought it was the episode with Ploobis' Christmas party. Was I dissapointed.
Unrelated P.S. Frank Zappa and Don Pardo: "I am the Slime"?????? I was scared to go to sleep! lol :crazy: