Varient Floyd

kmcphoto

Reaction score
Thank You Matleo! Finally someone got the message I was trying to say.

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by kmcphoto

So what were you trying to say? LOL j/k

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by kmcphoto
I did?!?!?! I could have sworn I was debating against your point? To be truthful, when I read your post this morning it really bugged me. I think you made a lot of attacks on people (including myself) about loving the Muppets for the wrong reason..... or at least that's what I got out of your message.

Maybe our definition of hardcore is different. I consder myself a hardcore fan. Like I said, the Muppets have been with me thorugh every stage of life. A lot of times I DO know who played a lot of obscure long forgotten characters, and CAN name what episode a certain sketch appeared in, and I like to look for the little 'in-gags' in the movies and what-not. But that's NOT why I consider myself a hardcore fan. It's because I LOVE the Muppets. I became a puppeteer because of the Muppets. I read as much as much as I can, and watch as much as I can because I find Jim Henson's body of work fascinating. but that's part of the thing....Jim's body of work...it's huge!!!! Every one has something different they feel passionate about. Some are huge SS fans, some are huge Muppet fans, some are into Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, and Storyteller, some are real Fraggle fanatics. Some know more about one subject than another. I mean I'm pretty well read but I KNOW that there are people here who know more than I do about some things, and I also know it's because they love the Muppets too. Phil started Muppet Central because he loves the Muppets! Warrick has one of the most extensive collections around because he loves the Muppets! Jamie and Luke have opinions on everything because they love the Muppets! Jackie, Emmy, Byron, Joggy, Chris, Gorry, Quinn (or rather Quinnnnnnnnn) Nate, Cory, Kevin, Annika, myself and everybody else here all come because we love the JHC. And I assume that's why you're here too. So I guess I have to agree with Jackie when she asked what your point was, because to be honest I'm not so sure of it myself. Anyway, I'm glad to know you agree with me. I'm weirded out by it a little but I'm glad to know you agree...kinda....sorta...I'm confused.

--Matt

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
I think you're seriously hardcore if you're willing to get a big honkin' tattoo on a very visible spot of your body of some subject (Muppets or otherwise) that you're very passionate about and don't care if it won't be relevant to anyone but you in 25 years. :wink:

Louis Kazagger (who isn't tattoeed, but knows a guy who got a huge Transformer tattoo in the mid eighties. Said guy is ecstatic that the Transformers are making a comeback now, because he felt very self conscious about it for years.)

kmcphoto

Reaction score
Well, I tried, but you did agree with me on the point that many people came to love the Muppets for different reasons. So I dont know what you are talking about to be quite honest, so when you try attacking my post, get your facts straight. Second, my views on hardcore fans are very much accurate, I say this because it really seemed to tick you off, so there must be some truth to it, because you must consider yourself "Hardcore." So I will now take my tiny knowledge of Muppets and ride off into the sunset. God Bless.

P.S.- Those figures really are great

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Louis Kazagger
Louis Kazagger (who isn't tattoeed, but knows a guy who got a huge Transformer tattoo in the mid eighties. Said guy is ecstatic that the Transformers are making a comeback now, because he felt very self conscious about it for years.)
LOL - good job he wasn't a fan of the Care Bears then eh ?

Seriously, i personally do NOT consider myself hardcore (though i do have opinions on everything). Maybe the 'average joe' would consider me hardcore, but i met Phil, Michael, Warrick and a whole heap of other and believe me, i ain't hardcore ! ;-)

MrTheFrog

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Here's my definition of a hardcore figure collector:
When I was in college Star Wars was releasing a line of figures called Shadows of the Empire. This is the period in my life that I refer to as "The Dark Times." Shadows was a line based on a book which took place between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. These figures were supposed to be released in April of 96. So beginning in April, every morning my roommate and I would drive to 3 local toysrus, and 3 walmarts looking for them. They kept getting delayed. But we never gave up. Every day for 5 months we went searching and every day, we'd come home empty handed and depressed. Finally in early August, reports started coming in that they were showing up in stores. We went nuts. We spent every night driving back and forth to the 3 Walmarts making multiple stops at each one because trucks were coming in all throughout the night. Every night from 9:00 PM until 4:00 AM. Every night. We were tired, and broken and sad. My roommate had a series of nervous breakdowns. One trip he actually began to cry from exhaustion. "I don't know how much longer I can do this..I feel like I'm going to die. My body is giving out." "Fear, anger, aggression, the Dark Side are they." After hundreds of hours of searching, and hundreds of dollars in gas, we found them in late September. We were thinner. Our grades had suffered. I almost lost my girlfriend. We were like zombies for a week after. But we found those figures. Are we dealers? No not at all. Just fans who got way out of control. Not a story I'm proud of. It was my one true experience with obsession. Never again have I done anything like that. And never again will I. It's not worth it. But it just shows you how a human's brain can become clouded by obsession. Nothing else seems to matter, no logic applies. That's my definition of hardcore.
-Artie

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by MrTheFrog
Hey guys,
Here's my definition of a hardcore figure collector:
When I was in college Star Wars was releasing a line of figures called Shadows of the Empire. This is the period in my life that I refer to as "The Dark Times." Shadows was a line based on a book which took place between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. These figures were supposed to be released in April of 96. So beginning in April, every morning my roommate and I would drive to 3 local toysrus, and 3 walmarts looking for them. They kept getting delayed. But we never gave up. Every day for 5 months we went searching and every day, we'd come home empty handed and depressed. Finally in early August, reports started coming in that they were showing up in stores. We went nuts. We spent every night driving back and forth to the 3 Walmarts making multiple stops at each one because trucks were coming in all throughout the night. Every night from 9:00 PM until 4:00 AM. Every night. We were tired, and broken and sad. My roommate had a series of nervous breakdowns. One trip he actually began to cry from exhaustion. "I don't know how much longer I can do this..I feel like I'm going to die. My body is giving out." "Fear, anger, aggression, the Dark Side are they." After hundreds of hours of searching, and hundreds of dollars in gas, we found them in late September. We were thinner. Our grades had suffered. I almost lost my girlfriend. We were like zombies for a week after. But we found those figures. Are we dealers? No not at all. Just fans who got way out of control. Not a story I'm proud of. It was my one true experience with obsession. Never again have I done anything like that. And never again will I. It's not worth it. But it just shows you how a human's brain can become clouded by obsession. Nothing else seems to matter, no logic applies. That's my definition of hardcore.
-Artie
Gee Artie, and here you seemed to be such a level-headed sort of guy. I guess that story proves that even the most sane individuals can take a walk off the deep end now and then.

*walks away an enlightened individual*

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
And the really strange part is that neither of them had ever even read the book?!?!? :wink:

Methinks you were one step away from a tattoo of Xizor. :wink:

One year I skipped university classes with a buddy of mine to go to Spring Training baseball games every day for about a month, seeking autographs from major leaguers. I just shake my head when I think about it now. Today, I wouldn't cross the street if the Queen of England (or Heidi Klum) was at my neighbor's house.