Varient Floyd

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Of course though, it sucks oranges for all the lazy fans and collectors who want everything delivered to their doorstep without any effort - whats the point of being 'hardcore' if ya aren't prepared to prove your commitment eh ?<<<

(In the language of post urban America...)
word! hehe, I think a lot of collectors had gotten complacent about actually trying to hunt for rare figures, hence being half the fun!

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
I realize this probably wont hold much weight, being from the "new guy" and all, but who's to criticize how people collect? What about the young crowd that wants to get into collecting these, but can't go "hunting" or "chasing" the figures, because mommy or daddy wont take them to town on a daily basis?

I live well over an hour from ANY store that carries Muppet figures, so how am I lazy because I don't want to drive two hours daily, to search for figures which I could buy just as easily online? Heck, I'd probably save money with delivery instead of hogging gas everyday. Was I supposed to travel to San Diego, or Chicago to get the convention exclusives?

Tell me Luke, did you personally go to these conventions to get the figures, or did you go through other means? If not, it sounds like a serious case of the pot calling the kettle black. Just because a fan can't go hunting for every single figure doesn't make them lazy, or any less "hardcore".

I only recently got into this hobby, but I have to say, if the entire hobby is filled with so many " hardcore" fans up on their high horses, then I don't expect this hobby to last very long.

kmcphoto

Reaction score
Very well said Wookie. I myself who started this thred fell pretty much the same. I mean what is this "Hardcore" all about. Please someone tell me. I beg you, come up with some sane way to define that for me. I do not consider myself "Hardcore" and without sounding like I'm patting myself on the back, probably have one of the most extensive Muppet collections around. I collect original artwok of the muppets mostly and this whole idea of "Hardcore" is stupid. Are you a better fan or bigger fan because you are "Hardcore?" Do you care about the state of the Muppets more? I would definately say not in the least. I would say that you have a "I'm better then you attitude." Which is also stupid. The simple fact is, these figures should be availible to anyone who really likes the Muppets, and to people who care because this was such a big part of there chilhood. All you "Hardcore Fans" who sit around quizzing each other to see who has more knowledge, and studying episodes to find a deeper meaning miss the point totally. I would rather have a conversation with a 4 year old who simply like the Muppets because they make him laugh.

P.S.- I hoped you liked my response

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Well said guys.

Yeah, remember when all the "hardcore" Star Wars fans got into fist fights and trampled children at Target stores nationwide a few years back? Target flubbed and printed a Star Wars exclusive in their weekly flyer and people crashed the doors and got into fights over the short supply of toys (I can't even remember what toy it was now, just to show you how ridiculous the situation was). Count me out of that scene thanks. I'm taking the "lazy" way out too and ordering a case to ensure that I get the repaint. :wink:

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Originally posted by kmcphoto
The simple fact is, these figures should be availible to anyone who really likes the Muppets, and to people who care because this was such a big part of there chilhood. I would rather have a conversation with a 4 year old who simply like the Muppets because they make him laugh.
I love the fact that my six year old knows or remembers things about the Muppet Show from episodes that we've watched together that I don't. :smile:

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
I "fondly" (ok not really) remember a scene from the Furby craze. It was opening morning at WalMart, and they come out and announce "We have five Furbies hidden throughout the store". I saw one person, either a hardcore fan of Furbies, or someone anxious to put one on Ebay, dive over a woman in a wheel chair, and shove a small child aside (subsequently causing him to trip and cut his head on a shelf). The guy got kicked out, but anyone going this nuts over a toy just ruins the hobby.

After these are released, Ill either get one on Ebay, or just buy a whole case. Being that there are two normal paint versions for every 1 variant, I dont think this is going to be the big prize a few people are playing it up to be. If they want it to be a true "chase" figure, pack it randomly one to every 10 or 15 cases. You don't buy a pack of cards expecting to be guaranteed a chase card do you?

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by BigDumbWookiee
Tell me Luke, did you personally go to these conventions to get the figures, or did you go through other means? If not, it sounds like a serious case of the pot calling the kettle black. Just because a fan can't go hunting for every single figure doesn't make them lazy, or any less "hardcore".
Hey, steady on ther John boy, I said it sucks oranges for some people but some collectors HAVE become very complacent - they even threatened to boycott the line. I do think if there are going to be 'exclusives' then there NEEDS to be some point in them actually being exclusive though. You can get this variant online - you just need to be lucky enough to have that color picked out for you. Other than that then the whole point of something being rare is that you can't just pick it up as easy as anything like the others - what purpose would that serve ? Other than making it easy to get as a regular fig and taking any promotional incentive out of it whatsoever for Palisades.

To be honest, Palisades have done a great job of making sure you don't have to go all the way to San Diego - they've given the chance to buy through the club and most companies wouldn't bother doing that. I think having to 'chase' a figure in your local mall is a small price to pay if you are dedicated to the line.

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke

Hey, steady on ther John boy, I said it sucks oranges for some people but some collectors HAVE become very complacent - they even threatened to boycott the line. I do think if there are going to be 'exclusives' then there NEEDS to be some point in them actually being exclusive though. You can get this variant online - you just need to be lucky enough to have that color picked out for you. Other than that then the whole point of something being rare is that you can't just pick it up as easy as anything like the others - what purpose would that serve ? Other than making it easy to get as a regular fig and taking any promotional incentive out of it whatsoever for Palisades.

To be honest, Palisades have done a great job of making sure you don't have to go all the way to San Diego - they've given the chance to buy through the club and most companies wouldn't bother doing that. I think having to 'chase' a figure in your local mall is a small price to pay if you are dedicated to the line.
Ok, I'll be the bigger person and not resort to childish namecalling.

Did you even READ my post? I wasn't attacking the validity of having something truly exclusive, I even agree with you that if they want to have an exclusive, or "rare" figure, then they shouldn't make it readily available to EVERYONE who wants it. THAT however, was not my point. I was trying to repute your insult that if a fan wants their products delivered, they are "lazy". And to quote you, since you more or less attempted to change what you said "it sucks oranges for all the lazy fans and collectors who want everything delivered to their doorstep without any effort". That is entirely different than "I said it sucks oranges for some people but some collectors HAVE become very complacent".

Perhaps you don't have a job, and your parents buy your figures for you, if so, my point is moot. I work six days a week, and I can't make time to drive two hours to look for a figure. That does not mean Im any less of a fan, or any less dedicated.

Next time you want to reply to my posts and call me childish names, climb down off your thrown so you can get a better view of what your reading. You're up their so high I'm suprised you can even see the computer screen.

Luke

Reaction score
Ok, I'll be the bigger person and not resort to childish namecalling.
Feel free - i think your tone says it all anyway but thats fine. i can throw a hissy fit too at the best of times.

I was trying to repute your insult that if a fan wants their products delivered, they are "lazy". And to quote you, since you more or less attempted to change what you said "it sucks oranges for all the lazy fans and collectors who want everything delivered to their doorstep without any effort". That is entirely different than "I said it sucks oranges for some people but some collectors HAVE become very complacent".
Well for a start i wasn't making more of a direct quote, just trying to expand on how i felt. By saying ALL the lazy fans and collectors i meant ALL the collectors who are lazy, not that ALL collectors ARE lazy. Basically i was hitting out at a small percentage of hardcore collectors who really throw a fit if they can't get something easily delivered to their door that is and always was meant to be hard. I don't mean specifically that it shouldn't be possible for you to get the thing delivered to your door, but in order for the line to succeed there has to be some effort (whether it is hunting down something online or in person) required to get a rare figure. We've had a number of hardcore figure collectors come in here and brag about how they are 'completists' in every single line, and then turn around and in a very bad attitude slag off the line and threaten to boycott it because there even IS a rare figure that they might have to work for - i'm sorry but i just don't get the point of wanting the title 'completist' if you haven't earnt it, but thats just MY opinion. Nobody HAS to buy the figures, it's their choice and Palisades ALSO have the right to choose where and when they choose to sell their figures - it doesn't mean every figure collector has an automatic god given right to it.

I work six days a week, and I can't make time to drive two hours to look for a figure. That does not mean Im any less of a fan, or any less dedicated.
I'm sure it doesn't. I did NOT mean that ALL collectors are like this - just a small percentage who more than make it clear to me they ARE like that and not for a good reason. To be honest it wouldn't suprise me if some of the ones like this might even be dealers who want to find a way to get the figures easier cos the Palisades guy posts on here and sell em for profit on Ebay.

Next time you want to reply to my posts and call me childish names, climb down off your thrown so you can get a better view of what your reading. You're up their so high I'm suprised you can even see the computer screen.
Sorry, i quite honestly didn't mean to offend you there, i was just joking in a friendly way, but your last sentences certainly proved that you ALSO know how to post with a childish attitude so i'm sure it didn't affect you that deeply. This is NOT an action figure collectors forum, it's a MUPPET FAN forum and i'm sure that quite a few of us here are new to figures and don't quite undertand how things are viewed by or work with the hardcore collectors. Thats how I personally see it from a Muppet fans point of view, if i was a hardcore figure collector i may well see it differently and you are more than entitled to your opinion and view things differently to me !

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
Alright, in the interest of being constructive about this matter, I will admit that my tone didn't provide for a constructive response to what you said. Instead of tossing insults or getting preachy, I'll just lay my cards on the table so to speak and be up front about this.

The first statement about lazy collectors game me the impression that you thought collectors are lazy if they order stuff. Obviously it wasn't fully intended to mean that, but, perhaps because I'm new to this board and haven't frequently communicated with you, I was unaware of your intentions with the statement.

Likewise, the John Boy statement, while perhaps innocent in intentions, was mildly offensive. I took that statement the same way you may take it if I called you a "limey" (which Im not, please don't take it that way).

I'll also admit that I was being pretty hypocritical in saying I'd take the bigger way out and acting nearly the opposite.

I apologize if I sound sarcastic in saying this, but I was under the impression that because this new forum was created for the Muppet figure line, that it was indeed an action figure forum, and not solely a Muppet fan forum. That would be the main reasoning which fueled my more "action figure oriented" point of view, versus that of a muppet fan point of view.

So to sum things up, I apologize for creating a personal attack out of this situation, but I did it only because I personally felt attacked.