TV Tropes

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
"We are also not a wiki for bashing things. Once again, we're about celebrating fiction, not showing off how snide and sarcastic we can be." Really? I hate to break it to people, but appreciating fiction is about pointing out its bad aspects as much as it is about celebrating its good aspects. I'm so sick of this head-over-heels in love relationship people have with staying neutral and not offensive. Guess what? We're all adults (or close to it) on the Internet and in fandoms; we should be able to have our opinions challenged, and be allowed to challenge those others have.
This is a typical phenomenon where people mistake positive thinking for never being critically minded. Another thing, I read a study once that said people have a tendency to allow their opinions to get wrapped up into their own image of themselves. So if someone challenges your opinions, it feels like they're challenging you as a person.

Drtooth

Reaction score
After reading some of the rules posted in certain pages, it seems that getting rid of negative thinking is an unfortunate way to deal with flame wars, hate spam, and trolling. Some butt always ruins it for everyone else, and I can tell the Mods just got so sick of it, they had to essentially preemptively punish everyone else to deal with the worst offenders.

Is it fair? of course not. Absolutely not... but thing is, Negative reviews can be one of three things...

The insightful critical handling of a product that isn't all that great that's met with angry flames from fans of said project...

Matter of taste turning into huge flame wars

or worst of all, Trolls saying something amazing sucks just for the lulz and reactions.

Remember. This is the internet. The free exchange of ideas has been corrupted in so many ways, I don't want to bother listing them off.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
After reading some of the rules posted in certain pages, it seems that getting rid of negative thinking is an unfortunate way to deal with flame wars, hate spam, and trolling. Some butt always ruins it for everyone else, and I can tell the Mods just got so sick of it, they had to essentially preemptively punish everyone else to deal with the worst offenders.
That's a very good point. It's the classic "This is why we can't have nice things." Because some Internet bullies with deep seated psychological issues ruin it for the half way normal people.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's a very good point. It's the classic "This is why we can't have nice things." Because some Internet bullies with deep seated psychological issues ruin it for the half way normal people.
Not to mention the fact that reviews can also be products of Complaining about Shows You Don't Watch and Hype Backlash (considering they have pages that essentially talk about them, as I used the titles). And even in those cases, there's (more pages) Accentuating the Negative and Snark Bait. Which is why I HATE internet reviews. Everyone watches MST3k and thinks they have the talent to snark everything there is in a movie. If you snark everything in every movie or overexaggerate the negative aspects, then technically, every movie ever made is awful. And that gets reactions.

I once read a terrible and biased review of a TMNT classic series season box set (guy had a vendetta cuz his mommy didn't buy him any Turtle figures- and that was actually in the review, no joke). It was one of the poorest written pieces of garbage I've ever read, and even calling it a review was an insult. It was more of a "I hate this show and I want to seem as hip as possible in being a complete jerkwad and salvaging because I'm in a bad mood." And this was a review for the Toonzone site. To say it got very heated reactions (on multiple sites, especially a TMNT one) is an understatement. It's hard to tell who's worse, a terrible reviewer or an angry reaction. And frankly, the YMMV section of TVTropes is far more reliable and even handed than a review. Not to mention a boat load more fun.

Has that show been canceled already?
Oh yeah. Very very Yeah. It ran 2 of it's four episodes (2 episodes are included in One Episode Wonder) before getting unceremoniously pulled and replaced by Big Bang Theory reruns. I actually saw both episodes, and at the same time there was potential yet showing signs of easy exhaustion of the premise. The men came off like slightly vindictive idiots, and the women came off as extremely vindictive sociopaths. The only woman in the show that wasn't a casual bimbo or a shrill, evil harpy was Tony Shaloub's character's daughter, and they barely did anything with her. Obviously setting that up for a story arc that never happened. Even though the characters ranged from unsympathetic to just pathetic, it really wasn't that terrible. not great, not terrible... seems like yet another show that would have worked better as a movie (we got sooooo many of these this season). But over all, the concept was there, the execution could have been better. Yet, hardly the worst thing this season, and hardly in the league of awful as last year's "Partners."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't watch We Are Men and had no desire to watch it. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised it was canceled. I saw the first two episodes of the new show Mom and saw promos referring to it as the #1 new comedy of the season.... If that's #1 then I'd hate to see the other new comedies (though I did see an episode of The Crazy Ones and thought that was good).

charlietheowl

Reaction score
\But over all, the concept was there, the execution could have been better. Yet, hardly the worst thing this season, and hardly in the league of awful as last year's "Partners."
Out of curiosity, what do you think was/is the worst new show this fall season?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I said Baseball show enough times that it should have stuck. Unless that was supposed to be a joke. But it's just the lamest tropes based on lame underdog sports hero movies, thrown together with Single Working Mom who can't get her life together and stuck living with crazy parents Tropes. Everything has been done better, and How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life and Family Tools already did the same exact things not even a full season ago. As for the Sports stuff, if I want to see a quirky team of losers against a team with a Jerk as the star, I'm already watching Bolts and Blip. The 2 episodes I tried to watch of Back in the Game had a character exactly like Tyger Jackson.

My two favorites (as far as sitcoms go) are The Millers and Crazy Ones (biased because of Robin Williams). Super Fun Night would work better as a movie, and Mom is meh. I hear Dads is awful, but I'm too busy with Agents of SHEILD to actually watch it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I said Baseball show enough times that it should have stuck. Unless that was supposed to be a joke. But it's just the lamest tropes based on lame underdog sports hero movies, thrown together with Single Working Mom who can't get her life together and stuck living with crazy parents Tropes. Everything has been done better, and How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life and Family Tools already did the same exact things not even a full season ago. As for the Sports stuff, if I want to see a quirky team of losers against a team with a Jerk as the star, I'm already watching Bolts and Blip. The 2 episodes I tried to watch of Back in the Game had a character exactly like Tyger Jackson.
Oh yeah, you did mention your dislike for that show before and I had forgotten about it until now. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been yanked off the air yet, but I guess ABC likes to let shows get a handful of episodes before they move to the TV graveyard.