TV Tropes

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been a troper for maybe over a year now, but it seems like in the last several months or so, they've gotten increasingly rulesy about what you can and can't do, but I believe one of the moderators told me part of it is because they have to do constant battle with trolls and spammers... not sure what that has to do with how they've been generalizing their tropes as of late. Some cases seem to be they want tropes to be more to-the-point and less wordy, and admittedly, in the case of the aforementioned Durwood trope, "Accidental Misnaming" IS simpler and less wordy than "My Name is Not Durwood". Matter of fact, when I recently launched "The Law Firm of Pun, Pun and Wordplay", one of the things standing in the way of launching it from YKTTW was nobody could agree on a "better name": some people DID like the name as it was, but many others felt it was too long, too word, and even too specific (as it was exactly what it says on the tin, but some wanted to expand it into including other business with such punny names), but again, although many other people suggested many other names, nobody could decide or agree on which one was better, so I went ahead and launched it The Law Firm of Pun, Pun and Wordplay, because I felt it best described what the trope was about.

Oh yeah, and you can't use the word "trope" in a title anymore either: another YKKTW of mine I had titled "Trope at Six O'Clock" (for jokes when someone spots something in a position that relates to the face of a clock, while another character thinks they're talking about what time it is), but I had to change it, because "trope" can't be used as a placeholder in a name anymore.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's sad if TV Tropes really is wanting to avoid any tropes being named for programs. I can't imagine what kind of title Flanderization could be renamed to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hopefully, they'll come to their senses and name everything back, or at least keep the unchangeable examples. I guess too many idiots are trying to come up with extremely specific things that only apply to a couple shows, and the mods are overreacting to that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I know that Narm and The Scrappy are grandfathered, seeing as they came about before the unwritten rule on trope names was set into stone. Flanderization will most likely be safe, as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still, this seems like an anal retentive move that takes all the fun out of a fun site. If trolls and stupid kids are the problem, stop punishing everyone else and deal with them specifically. I don't see how killing off trope namers is going to have any effect on either of those.

I'm sure they'll be bombarded with complaints soon enough.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's another one that doesn't seem to be quite as effective:

They reiterated Well Done Son Guy to "Well Done, Son!" Guy, which somehow, to me, doesn't really work as well; based on what the trope itself covers, Well Done Son Guy sounds just like that: a father who doesn't really give a hoot about whatever it is his son does or accomplishes, or is just a bad father in general, and if the son did ANYTHING to try and earn his father's approval or appreciation, the father in turn is like, "Yeah, yeah, good job there person who's apparently my son". Changing the punctuation to "Well Done, Son!" Guy now makes it seem like the trope applies to fathers who are always extremely proud of whatever it is their sons do, no matter how grand, or even mediocre.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
(Bump) I need to change one thing on fosters they're missing the trope goofy print underwear :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
(Bump) I need to change one thing on fosters they're missing the trope goofy print underwear :stick_out_tongue:
"I'll have you know these are all the rage in Europe."

Bonus points for Darkwing Duck never wearing pants and somehow gaining underwear when his suit was pulled off.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Even though I still like TV tropes (in that I visit the site regularly, and still am a member, a lot of the criticism the site has gotten in recent times is absolutely legitimate. As a person on another forum has said, TV Tropes nowadays seems to run under the idea that being nice is more important than being right (those are that person's words; being "honest" would probably be a better wording). Negative reviews are always deleted (regardless of how legitimately argued they are), they got rid of Troper Tales (I don't care; that was one of my favorite parts of the site), heck, I'm surprised they kept the Dethroning Moment of Suck section (even though that one has a ridiculous number of rules, of course:rolleyes:). And they include this little gem on their homepage: "We are also not a wiki for bashing things. Once again, we're about celebrating fiction, not showing off how snide and sarcastic we can be." Really? I hate to break it to people, but appreciating fiction is about pointing out its bad aspects as much as it is about celebrating its good aspects. I'm so sick of this head-over-heels in love relationship people have with staying neutral and not offensive. Guess what? We're all adults (or close to it) on the Internet and in fandoms; we should be able to have our opinions challenged, and be allowed to challenge those others have.

Whew, I went into full-on Soapbox Sadie mode...:wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still don't see why "We Are Men" isn't under One Episode Wonder.