Thoughts on Kami

spiderman

Reaction score
i'm sure this topic has been done before, but i'm new here and i'm wondering what you guys think about that gay muppet over in europe (was it south africa maybe?)

i think its dumb.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

You mean Kami? I don't think she's gay. I think she was just born with an HIV infection.

spiderman

Reaction score
really?

oh, i thought it was gay or something. so it was just born with HIV?

poor kid. are they gonna show the muppet deteriorate into nothing with legions and diseases too?

how far are they going to take this?

is there a mother or father for this poor muppet?

are they either prostitutes or drug users?

i'm really interested to know how this happened?

where is this version of sesame street shot?

please help

spiderman

Reaction score
cool thanks

i really appreciate the info, as i am writing a college paper on it

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, come on Spidey. It's not nice to liken gay people to drug users and prostitutes. Just had to say that. We are sensitive to all people who visit the board. Know you were kidding though. :wink:

spiderman

Reaction score
IF THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT, THEY SHOULD DO IT RIGHT

i just think if they want to be realistic and show someone with HIV, then they should be realistic and take it all the way and show the downside of it and not just some really happy, helpful, muppet who will never face the real issues of HIV/AIDS.

you know what i mean?

i know its a show for kids, so they should just let kids be kids and not introduce issues to them when they have no comprehension of what HIV is.

whats next, a show where they introduce the taliban as misunderstood, really nice people who are just fighting for what they believe in? yeah this is extreme, but come on people, gimme a break

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

Like many Muppet monster chillun I doubt Kami's Mammy will be seen anywhere.

This character is suffering the disease like many people do: contracting it innocently. Sometimes blood transfusions, being born with it, etc, just happens to be a cause of infection. It doesn't have to come from drugs, prostitution, or other acts.

My suggestion is to check out other websites about HIV prior to writing about this character and learn of the different ways it can be contracted.

By the way, loved your movie, Spiderman. What do you think of my Rubber Chicken acts?

FOZ

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Spiderman

If you had read the article, you would note that the intention of the character is to teach tolerance and prevention of HIV in South Africa. There are no plans to bring the character to the United States.

Excerpt:
South Africa has the most HIV-infected people of any nation in the world: Since 1996, the number of cases has doubled to more than 4 million, or 1 in 10 people, according to estimates by international health agencies.

We already had a discussion on the issue that got really heated when someone proposed the character should joing America's cast, so you are not alone in your thoughts. But even extreme evangalist, Jerry Fallwell approves of the puppet for South Africa where the disease needs to be addressed on all levels.

spiderman

Reaction score
IN SOUTH AFRICA?

in south africa, the adults don't get it innocently. 1 in 9 has AIDS/HIV in africa. the only people that are getting the disease innocently are the children. but the adults are getting it from unsafe sex and drugs. i read a article in newsweek that said that africans believe that if they have AIDS and they have sex with a little virgin child, then the AIDS will magically disappear. they are pretty dumb. i'm just saying, i don't think that Kami's parents got it from birth. chances are, in the continent of africa, they are either prostitutes or drug users, or both. i've checked the facts, cause i'm writing a research paper on AIDS and society for college, and I want to get peoples opinions on a kids show that has characters with AIDS.

what do you think?