1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Thoughts on Kami

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by spiderman, Nov 7, 2002.

1. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Spiderman

I'm certainly not trying to be rude here, but who are you to really say that? First and foremost: this is a place where we are mindful of others and treat people with respect.

It appears that you are more interested in stirring things up here than really trying to participate. I hope I'm wrong about that. It's rather presumptuous of you to think that we are a boring place without your enlightenment. Everyone has an opinion here and it is best to be thoughtful of others when stating yours.

There was no tact in your opening post. Likening gay people to prostitutes, condemning a nation of people and those who have contracted AIDS is out of place here and will not be tolerated. On another thread you even belittled a member for being passionate about Sesame Street! Yo, it's a Muppet forum, dude! We are supposed to be passionate about the Muppets! LOL!

We welcome new members here, but it would be best to make connections and find out what this forum is all about before trying to get controversial or "shake things up". Muppet Central has been around for years (here and on Delphi) and there is no need to "fix" the forum because you happen to think it's boring. Hope to be hearing from you in other threads.
  2. spiderman New Member

i'm not trying to fix anything

yo yo i'm not trying to disrespect anybody or be mean. i don't think this board is boring or "needs" me to liven it up. i heard someone say that there was a gay muppet, so i was just wondering if it was true. i didn't know that it just had HIV or the whole story. yeah, i pushed some peoples buttons a little, but i really think i made some valid points as far as the reasoning behind them doing this and where they will take. i'd like to say more, but i don't want to be kicked off this site because i know there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained. as i said before, i design muppet merchandise, so i will be needing some help as far as what you diehard muppet fans like and do not like, what you think would be a good sell and what you think would suck. i'm open to listen to everybody's point, just let me give mine.

i'll tone it down a bit, but i'd appreciate if people listened to what i have too say instead of just jumping down my throat because i might have a problem with something the muppets did.

lets let bygones be bygones
  3. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Certainly. I get ya! It's a very hot-button issue and we have some passionate fans around here. Whew, believe me! LOL! The other thread on this subject had to be closed (it got really bad). Anyway, no prob. Miscommunication I guess.
  4. punkNpuppets New Member

what if they DID make a gay muppet on sesame street. nonono, a gay person joins the cast.

ELMO: Your a man and you marry a man? Elmo doesn't understand.
    GAY: Well, some men just feel the need to be with another man. Someone who would understand them more than a woman would.
    OSCAR: (pops out of can) Sooo, you must be that ***** i've been hearin bout!

sorry if i offended anyone. i just thought it sounded funny...

**Edited by moderator due to an offensive word**
  5. frogboy4 Inactive Member

punkNpuppets

That really is not funny and is the type of thing I was trying to avoid in this thread. I know you didn't mean to be hurtful, but such language and sentiment are not appropriate on this forum. Please be more mindful of others when you post.
  6. spiderman New Member

helloooo...bert and ernie?

i thought they already made 2..bert and ernie?

am i alone in this?

I'M JUST KIDDING PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENSE ANYBODY
  7. punkNpuppets New Member

sorry guys...i'm just a real open minded person...with ADD...
  8. punkNpuppets New Member

9. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I am not upset. I know you meant to be funny rather than insensitive. Lets just move on. :)
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Please Don't bring up Bert and Ernie again

FIrstly, it is a kid's show. The thought of Dating and such is down played (though it still exists. Luis and Maria married, and had a babie, and Oscar had a girlfriend named Grundgetta, they must've broken up. It's a grouch relationship I think)

Ernie and Bert just so happen to be roomates in New York, very common since there isn't much housing, and it is pretty expensive (from what I hear). That's like saying that Joey, Ross, and the other guy from F*R*I*E*N*D*S are gay ( I bet they played off theis in some episodes, I don't particularly like Friends). I mean,. Bert once even sang a love song to a woman on his guest appearance on The Muppet Show, and on Sesame, he sang a love song about his girlfriend who was falling apart (I want to hold your Ear).

That stupid independant film Ernest and Bertram DESERVED the law suit it got. Ernie and Bert rule!
  11. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Mercy.

Here I go AGAIN!

I wrote a letter about the time of the beginning of the E&B RUMORS to (then) Children's Television Workshop ATTN: Sesame Street Producers who assured me...

1) Ernie would NOT be retired because Henson died, and
    2) Ernie and Bert "have not ever, do not now, nor ever will portray a gay couple. They are simply two best friends who show that, no matter how different you are, you can still be friends."

One day I will find that letter and scan it in for proof. Maybe this needs to be a part of the MC FAQ??

I'm going to be SO glad when that rumor is dead.

Finally, I still haven't heard a response to my request from the last post:
    "I mean, if you think it should be delved into deeper, you should discuss how it could be done on a level that children could understand that would not be offensive to their parents and be educational."

Laters,
    FOZ
  12. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Here's a good idea for a new Muppet monster...

Teret's syndrome.
  13. radionate New Member

I think we'd have no problem finding performers for it around here. But since you have Muley, I get first dibs then.:D
  14. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Muley would make a great new visitor to SS. He's got a fun personality, a little crazy, overly-outgoing, but keeps himself planted firmly on the ground.

He's always a hit at the RMH and Rock 103 Functions.

But, okay, you get the teret's syndrome muppet. I'll take the Muppet with Split Personalities! LOL!! No, you won't, I will. No, I will. You THINK you will...

*suddenly comes to blows with himself...*
  15. Luke Active Member

I actually have some opinions on Bert & Ernie - first of all the ONLY people who ever know what went into the inception of those characters and what they are/aren't is Henson/Oz. People can make guesses though and i agree that they do not portray a gay couple and are a just a couple of friends living together - BUT it is very clear that a lot of camp and black humour is behind the two characters and how they are portrayed, and they do have some stereotypically 'camp' or 'gay' aspects (i'm not saying that all gay people act the same way) in their personalities.

If you look at TV/Comedy at the time, and especially the kind of media people Henson and Oz were hanging around with (i mean Brillstein and William Morris clients) there were a lot of artists who got a cheap laugh out of emphasising 'camp' aspects of their character and it wasn't always gay people who did it. Many a straight comic has tried to act 'gay' (Just look at Niles - David Hyde Pierce in Frasier) - it's just a way to get a cheap laugh and a lot of people find it funny. There are still actors and artists out there today who do it. I think the way some Bert and Ernie sketches have been written have purposely played on this kind of thing and tried to get a laugh from the parents as well as the kids.

Something else to mention too - Henson are STILL doing this, even more so, and totally on purpose. Most of you guys are yet to meet 'The Hoobs' but 'Iver & Groove' are very much characters on a 'Bert & Ernie' level. The character of Iver has a lot of those 'camp' kinda things about him and is very similar in the way he acts to Niles from Frasier. Groove is very much the strong male character. One script even say Iver trying to be a giant and trying on Tula (the females) high heels - as he walked off screen he made a quip that "i wonder if i've got a handbag to match". It's all fairly innocent - just a little camp innuendo that would pass over the kids heads and get a laugh out of the parents but it's definitely a form of comedy that writers seem to like to use.

I don't believe Bert & Ernie are gay, but i also don't believe someone like Frank Oz would say that straight out - you aren't alone wondering if the characters are gay because those hints have been put there completely on purpose for the comedy value to make people question it while they are watching and pick up on those aspects of the characters and find them sweet or funny. It's supposed to be one of those things where the puppeteers have a coy smile and say 'Hmmm - i dunno - what do you think ?' which is what Frank Oz has done 99% of times.
  16. Hays New Member

Um, you might want to check this statement

He's a HUGE supporter of GLAAD, tho like most people, I don't think he "acts" gay in real life.
  17. Fozzie Bear Moderator

But I KNOW they aren't.

They told me so.

Bert likes Prairie Dawn...or was that Betty Lou? Then, that woman on TMS. Ernie likes...uh, wait.

Did Ernie ever show interest in a female of any type at all? I don't remember.

FOZMODEE
  18. Luke Active Member

When i mentioned Hyde Pierce i was linking him (very clumsily) to my comment that lots of actors emphasise 'gay' characteristics on screen to get a cheap and easy laugh. I hadn't particularly known whether he is gay in real life or not - my comment is solely about how he portrays the character of hetrosexual Niles. If you want to look at another example there's Mathew in Newsradio. Both actors do exactly the same thing - they aren't gay characters but they emphasise quirks in the personality (that some people would associate with gay people) to be funny.
  19. Daffyfan2003 Active Member

It's interesting how we have three pages of this so fast. I feel I should put in my two cents. Spiderman, I know you're not being rude or trying to offend anybody. You're entitled to your opinion. I guess they wanted to add Kami to South Africa's Sesame Street to show what life was like. About Bert and Ernie, yeah, I've heard rumors about them being gay and people do make jokes about it, but I guess judging from what was previously said here: (Ex: Bert's interest in Connie Stevens, 'I want to hold your ear' song) then they aren't gay. It sort of makes me wonder why Bert would buy Ernie a pink soap dish though. :confused:
  20. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Re: Reply

They were out of nifty blue ones...