The "You know what?" thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny thing about that.

I don't know how they got this shipment in, but years and years ago I was at some bargain outlet that sold Bugles...from some Middle Eastern country. Freaked me the heck out. It was the same exact packaging except the writing was different and the illustration of a woman on the back of the package was redrawn to wear more appropriate clothes. How the heck they got that specific package confused me. Now that I'm remembering it, they must've manufactured the Bugles and the foreign packaging here and they couldn't sell or ship them for some reason, so they had to dump them somewhere.

Also notices the Pocky they sell in American grocery stores (more common than you'd think) are Thai, not Japanese. Probably cheaper to import.

As for Toonami's recursive Japanese programming, the weird thing is Japan seems to disproportionally either dig or really hate when we ape their style. They apparently HATED Avatar: The Last Airbender for some political reason, dunno exactly about Teen Titans, but they loved Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi Show because it's their celebrities. TMNT, all 3 versions of the series had some screwed up popularity that left the last 2 series (even the current one) at 52 episodes, and the original series with at least 3 dubs that were on varying levels of incomplete. YET they were popular enough to have that weird OVA series. Time will tell on Steven Universe, but the Japanese produced Food Chain episode of Adventure Time premiered to a grand gallery opening.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In The Simpsons episode "Who Shot Mr Burns Part 2", Sideshow Mel determines that Smithers couldn't have shot Mr. Burns because he'd mentioned that he never misses the show "Pardon My Zinger" and he made a joke on the news that had been made in the opening monologue, and the show started at the time Mr. Burns got shot. But even though he didn't miss a show, he could have set up his VCR to record the show while he was out.

Or he could have missed the beginning this one time and heard about the joke from somebody who watched the show.

Or he could have missed it and actually watched Krusty the Klown (even though he's a kids clown) when he told that joke. Though I don't think it's said whether Krusty had done that joke on the air yet or if he was planning to. It's also odd that Krusty and Mel watched the show, as both were at the same meeting (well, Krusty showed up after getting back from a trip). All three were there, and at least two of them seemed to live close enough to get back home to watch (though Krusty or Mel could have taped it and showed it to the other).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Time for me to bring up Nintendo again!

There are rumors going around that their next console, codenamed NX, will be about as graphically powerful as the PS4 and Xbox One, and some say it will be even more so. I doubt the latter, but either way, it seems like the big N will go the opposite route of the original Wii and try to win back the hardcore market with this new system.

And I don't expect the NX to be released until 2017 at the earliest. Doesn't seem right for Nintendo to pull a Virtual Boy and dump the Wii U like a hot Bob-Omb at the end of next year, like many others are speculating.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/10/new-rumors-suggest-nintendo-nx-is-very-powerful/

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In The Weird Al Show episode "The Competition", the award for best children's show host ends up going to Fred Huggins, who is said to have been the only one who played fair. It's supposed to imply that that's why he won, but they never specifically say that that's why he won. The host says that the winner is "the only one who played fair, Fred Huggins!", as opposed to "Fred Huggins, because he's the only one who played fair!" Of course, it seems like everybody on the show disliked Fred Huggins (okay, so The Guy Boarded Up Into the Wall wanted to watch his show).

By the end of Back to the Future Part III, Marty decides that he no longer cares whether he's called a chicken, but when he avoids racing Needles, he does so by putting the car in reverse, making it look like it was an accident. He doesn't tell Needles that he doesn't care anymore, or anything like that. And putting the car in reverse very well could have gotten him into a different accident (luckily it didn't, though).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Cable really needs to stop going to Wikipedia for information; most episode guides incorrectly list episodes in order according to broadcast date, but episodes aren't always originally aired in chronological order - cable listins always incorrectly list SEINFELD and ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE episode numbers according to broadcast dates instead of chronological ordering (but then again, Nick for some reason ordered the episode RML episodes on DVD by airdate rather than chronologically, and I found that really odd).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, I'm the self-proclaimed sweater-wearin' weather expert, and I can say that this is not accurate: 60 degrees and above is too warm for sweaters, or long sleeves in general, but it goes to show you what wimps southerns are that they think otherwise.
Holy crap, yes. Remember, I'm from New England. We have violent shifts in temperature around here. You'd personally be ticked that the past week was above normal in our region (tied a couple records, too) only to "cool down" to the 50's, where we should be (not that I'm complaining about the heat). I always got annoyed how everyone got excited for sweater weather because I have a legendary hatred of the things. So hot and itchy. I even had to fight to be forced to wear a sweater with the Ninja Turtles on it when I was young. And those were some of my favorite guys.

As for 60 degree. That's nothing. I still wear shorts as low as upper fifties sometimes. It's anything lower I even bother wearing long pants, to say nothing of needing a jacket until a low fifties.

Time for me to bring up Nintendo again!

There are rumors going around that their next console, codenamed NX, will be about as graphically powerful as the PS4 and Xbox One, and some say it will be even more so. I doubt the latter, but either way, it seems like the big N will go the opposite route of the original Wii and try to win back the hardcore market with this new system.

And I don't expect the NX to be released until 2017 at the earliest. Doesn't seem right for Nintendo to pull a Virtual Boy and dump the Wii U like a hot Bob-Omb at the end of next year, like many others are speculating.
I really don't get the console wars this go around. Nintendo has gone a different route than Playstation and X-Box and somehow it bit them on the butt by the so called hardcore gamers that just want a specific type of game. They should have made the WiiU more powerful, sure, but other than that, these are the same gamers who wear retro Mario shirts, but wouldn't be caught dead playing a Mario game.

Then of course there's the real problem. Nintendo is the only major system that runs on their exclusive brands. We have these characters people claim to love, but complain about how repetitive the brands are, and when they get innovative, they complain about how not repetitive the games are. I thought the new Wario Ware game was very innovative in its design and gameplay, making good use of the second screen. Probably better than any other WiiU title. But it was a flop because reasons. And so it became a laughing stock for the simple reason of not churning out the same FPS games over and over. Which is apparently what all "hard core" gamers want.

But I think Nintendo's real problem is the reluctance of outside media, especially ones produced in the US. Sure, some of the Zelda manga got published in the US by Viz. But why no Super Mario-Kun? Why not let someone get a Super Mario comic book license (just not Archie. I HATE those guys)? Let an American Produced Mario cartoon happen. We do continuity and deep stuff now, so no wandering around parody worlds. Let someone make an animated movie (though, not Sony). It's not the 1980's "kids will watch because it has the brand, even though we older writers don't get video games at all" era anymore. The old writers have grown up playing Mario, it's a great time to put them to work.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Cable really needs to stop going to Wikipedia for information; most episode guides incorrectly list episodes in order according to broadcast date, but episodes aren't always originally aired in chronological order - cable listins always incorrectly list SEINFELD and ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE episode numbers according to broadcast dates instead of chronological ordering (but then again, Nick for some reason ordered the episode RML episodes on DVD by airdate rather than chronologically, and I found that really odd).
So presenting episodes in broadcast order is a bad thing? I prefer broadcast order. That's the order Muppet Wiki uses for most of its episode guides (though Henson seems to use production order, though for the most part the Fraggle Rock DVDs are in broadcast order). There are some cases where production order is preferable. Then again, when I watch a show on a season set or online, I usually watch whatever episode I feel like watching, as opposed to watching them all straight in one order.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So presenting episodes in broadcast order is a bad thing?
No, I said that they're identifying the episode numbers in their cable listings according to broadcast order rather than chronological order.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've seen a number of websites point out that in Back to the Future Part II, in the alternate 1985, it's mentioned that Uncle Joey is still in jail like in the original timeline. However, it's never mentioned in the other alternate 1985 (the one that came after Marty time traveled), nor in 2015, whether Joey was still in jail. Considering Marty's whole family improves and Biff is no longer mean then, it's not a stretch that Joey might have never been arrested in that reality. Too bad they never address whether Joey was in jail (maybe have the parents mention Joey as if he'd never been in jail, or have him show up at the McFly household at the end).

Though I recently found a copy of an early draft of the Back to the Future Part II script, and in that draft, it's mentioned that Joey was in jail in 2015.