The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As pointed out on TV Tropes, the opening scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit is very detailed for an '80s cartoon, while the Toontown sequence is animated more like a regular cartoon. I've realized that that could be because the beginning scene is actually on a movie set, with props and stuff, while Toontown is more a true cartoon place. Toontown probably has different reality perspectives than on a cartoon set in the live-action world.

Actually, after watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit recently, there's quite a few things I'd like to say in the "what's the deal?" thread... Is there a Who Framed Roger Rabbit thread on this forum?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
On Rugrats, Reptar was an obvious parody of Godzilla, but I wonder if maybe it was also in response to the popularity of Barney. It's probably more of a coincidence, as Barney and Friends premiered the same year as Rugrats (even though a few Barney video tapes had been released), but it is rather interesting that the stars of Rugrats were big fans of a dinosaur, while at the same time a (much more friendlier) dinosaur character got his own show and became wildly popular with little children.

And on Rugrats, was Reptar supposed to appeal to little kids (despite all his violence), or was it a case of little kids liking violent things? I've read that there was an episode of All Grown Up where it's revealed that the characters stopped being fans of Reptar, only remembering him from when they were really little. This makes me wonder if they outgrew him (or felt they did), if Reptar actually lost popularity in general, or if for whatever reason (loss of popularity, a controversey of some sort) they just stopped making new Reptar things just before the babies matured.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I never bothered checking out 2 BROKE GIRLS, for obvious reasons, but after I ended up catching a glimpse of it last night as I was going through the cable listings, I have to say . . . wow . . . talk about bad acting. Like Miley Cyrus-level bad. Like, "I know there's cameras and people watching me, so I'll ham it up rather than try to be subtle and natural"-level bad.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the majority of the most iconic Looney Tunes shorts directed by Chuck Jones? Cartoons like What's Opera, Doc?, The Rabbit of Seville, Duck Amuck, Duck Dogers, One Froggy Evening, and the hunters trilogy all seem to be among the best-known Looney Tunes shorts, ones known by almost everyone. And while other cartoons from other directors are well-known, they don't seem to be as well-known as the Chuck Jones ones (and on a similar note, I feel Bob Clampett might have the most iconic cartoons from the pre-1948 era).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Friz Freling's "Rhapsody Rabbit" should've won 1946's Best Animated Short Oscar, but lost to Tom and Jerry's "Cat Concerto". Same music, based on Franz Liszt's " Hungarian Rhapsody". It's a shame the only Bugs short to win an Oscar, "Knighty Knight Bugs", was hardly on a par with any of Jones' creations.

Jones did deserve his distinction for having three shorts (" Duck Amuck", "What's Opera Doc" and "One Froggy Evening") in the Library of Congress. That takes some doing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Friz Freling's "Rhapsody Rabbit" should've won 1946's Best Animated Short Oscar, but lost to Tom and Jerry's "Cat Concerto". Same music, based on Franz Liszt's " Hungarian Rhapsody". It's a shame the only Bugs short to win an Oscar, "Knighty Knight Bugs", was hardly on a par with any of Jones' creations.
I don't think Rhapsody Rabbit is a very good cartoon. Of course I haven't watched it in years, and recently I have been watching and gaining a little appreciation for some WB shorts that I hadn't really been a big fan of before, maybe I'll like it better if I were to watch it now.

Most of the Oscar-winning Looney Tunes shorts don't seem Oscar-worthy, especially when some of the greatest shorts ever (like the Chuck Jones ones I mentioned in my previous post, as well as Friz Freling's Show Biz Bugs) weren't even nominated. I feel "Tweetie Pie" is "so okay it's average" (would I feel that way if it was the only team-up between Sylvester and Tweety?), ditto for the documentary short "So Much for So Little". "For Scent-Imental Reasons" is one of the best Pepe le Pew cartoons, one of the few that I really like, but I don't know if it was really Oscar-worthy. "Speedy Gonzales" is one of my favorites of the Oscar-winners, mostly because I like Speedy Gonzales so much, but there's also quite a few Speedy cartoons that I like a lot better (additionally, if there's a special Looney Tunes marathon or video release not tied to one character, those are often the only Pepe le Pew and Speedy Gonzales cartoons included). "Birds Anonymous" is probably the only one that I feel really deserved it's Oscar (and it's probably the most "iconic" of the Oscar-winners, though I do get a feeling it's less popular than the Chuck Jones cartoons). And I don't get why "Knighty Knight Bugs" is the only Bugs Bunny cartoon to win an Oscar. Not only are there a lot of better ones that should have been nominated, but I feel like "Knighty Knight Bugs" wasn't broadcast on TV often (I wouldn't be surprised if it was frequently shown as part of The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, my local ABC station usually showed local news in place of Saturday morning cartoons so I only got to see the show a few times, but even then, I don't remember seeing it on Cartoon Network often), video releases used to be scarce (outside of it's pretty-much-complete inclusion in The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie and Bugs Bunny's Easter Funnies, both of which were released on video, it only had one VHS release, and it took four volumes of the Golden Collection to get a DVD release, but since then it has had a fair amount of video releases).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh.

An episode of The Simpsons did an Archie gag/cameo on an episode that featured the voice of Archie from the "Weird Mysteries" cartoon. Just not as Archie but rather himself, because he's the other guy from Book of Mormon. That's...odd...

And also technically a 4Kids stock voice actor just got a guest shot on a Simpsons episode.