The Star Wars Holiday Special comming to DVD

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
so that you can say "Episode IV" or "A New Hope"- but honestly, no one in 1977 really referred to the movie as anything other than "Star Wars" from what I can tell.
Yeah I have friends who outright refuse to call it "A New Hope," lol. I kind of understand where they're coming from, hehe.

I usually just call it "the first one," lol. And it happens to be my favorite, hehe.

I guess bottom line for me, the first 3 movies aren't the ones that need enhancing. :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While reading this thread, I've started coming to the conclusion that Episode II sort of sits there between episodes I and III. Episode I is rather infamous, being the most disliked of the prequels by many (and I'm sure many would say it's the worst of the series), while Episode III is the best of the prequel trilogy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
While reading this thread, I've started coming to the conclusion that Episode II sort of sits there between episodes I and III. Episode I is rather infamous, being the most disliked of the prequels by many (and I'm sure many would say it's the worst of the series), while Episode III is the best of the prequel trilogy.
I agree that if I had to choose a favorite, it would be Episode III. But that's despite all the problems it still has.

I will say that Ian McDiarmid is always brilliant and a lot of fun as the Emperor. And Ewan McGregor, I really do believe he could be the same character that Sir Alex Guiness played, which is a great accomplishment.

But they just can't save what I felt was a very confused storyline. I could see the bare bones of the idea, but it hadn't been developed previously and they were really just asking us to go along with it.

I think what really messed up the prequels was starting with Anakin as a child. There was too much of a disconnect between Anakin the child and Anakin the young adult so whatever character development they wanted to get across was just lost.

In the original movies, Anakin became Darth Vadar because he was seduced by the idea of power. It's straight forward, it's classic, it worked. It addressing the dark side of our human nature. The prequels had too many motivations that never really gelled together. Instead of addressing Anakin's dark side, they try to make it seem like he's is just being manipulated by Palpatine. But it just ends up making him seem incredibly stupid. Plus even when Anakin is lusting for power he just comes across whiny and annoying. I never believed he could actually become Darth Vadar. And not because he's so nice and good, but because he's so incompetent! ; D

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think what really messed up the prequels was starting with Anakin as a child. There was too much of a disconnect between Anakin the child and Anakin the young adult so whatever character development they wanted to get across was just lost.

In the original movies, Anakin became Darth Vadar because he was seduced by the idea of power. It's straight forward, it's classic, it worked. The prequels had too many motivations that never really gelled together. Plus even when Anakin is lusting for power he just comes across whining and annoying. I never believed he could actually be Darth Vadar.
Yeah, I was expecting the prequels to take place closer to the start of the first one, since the original trilogy takes place close to each other (though I recall reading something that actually stated otherwise, can't remember what). I was expecting Anakin to become Darth Vader in episode I. Before episode I was was expecting episode III to end the way "A New Hope" began.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I was expecting the prequels to take place closer to the start of the first one, since the original trilogy takes place close to each other (though I recall reading something that actually stated otherwise, can't remember what). I was expecting Anakin to become Darth Vader in episode I. Before episode I was was expecting episode III to end the way "A New Hope" began.
Yeah I mean I guess they were trying to appeal to a low common denominator of children's entertainment. It certainly got them a lot of merchandise, but not a spectacular film.

To me, Darth Vadar's story in the originals is about being attracted to the darker side of human nature and then losing yourself. But in the prequels it just feels like Anakin is this idiot who is being manipulated by the Emperor. He's so worried about Padme dying that he ends up messing everything up. They were so busy trying to give him good intentions that they watered down the character. It's like they were afraid of making him too unsympathetic.

Lord of the Rings actually had the same problem for me. The writers talked about how they didn't want to have Frodo going too crazy over the ring, because the audience would start to hate him (nevermind it's in the books, which tons of people love!). They didn't want Frodo to seem like a crazed junkie, but the way they did it he just ends up looking like a weakling.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the thing, what YOU'RE saying sounds great. But when I watch the actual movie, it fails to live up to the promise for me. :wink:
Yeah... if it was all told in a better way, and there wasn't all this political intrigue being drawn out over the first 2 films, it could have worked better. As it stands 2 cartoons did a better job filling in the gaps between 2+3.

But me? I like a good supervillain origin story. And if things were done in a better way, it would have came along much stronger. I like what they were trying to do... but all and all, George really should have got some input from another director. Again, he didn't direct ESB, and everyone feels that's the strongest of all the films.

You know, as far as Droids goes, it has to take place inbetween episode 3 and episode 4... so technically, it was the original prequel.