The Star Wars Holiday Special comming to DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For the first time ever, the one Star Wars project that George Lucas himself is ashamed of, The Star Wars Holiday Special, is finally coming to DVD this November.

Like with the various rereleases of the Star Wars movies, this release will have alteratiosn adn improvements, including subtitles for the wookie scenes and all-new narraration by Jar Jar Binks.

This two-disc set will include audio commentary by Chewbacca and R2D2, a 13-minute-long apology from George Lucas, deleted scenes, The Nostalgia Critic's review of the special, a deleted seqeunce from the Star Wars documentary found in the Star Wars trilogy DVD, concerning this special, and a bonus episode of Star Wars: Clone Wars, as well as the oen collectors item all Star Wars fans have been begging for: Carrie Fisher's personal contact information!

APRIL FOOLS!

Yorick

Reaction score
Good one! :smile:

I have to say, though there's a lot of filler, it's still fun as a time capsule, and should be released on DVD. Lucas would get so much money from the Star Wars completists, and if there were extras, that'd help.

Yes, it is pretty bad in parts, too, but not even 25% as bad as the predictable over the top bashing of it that most people do (whether in print, or in audio and/or video). Now that, is tiresome. The Holiday Special itself is great by comparison (and it's NOT great, so you can tell how annoying the comments on it usually are - they try too hard, for starters). The only thing in the film I really can't take is to see the stormtroopers start trashing the house and making Chewie's son upset. That was terrible :frown:

Everything else is either "so bad it's funny" or okay, or pretty good fun! If I left out a description feel free to add it. And if anyone hates it, that's cool, but if you can be more creative in your disdain that'd be nice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously... if the person that came up with the prequels is embarrassed by this, it MUST be bad. (I actually liked them... the second 2 at least... loved episode 3)

No April Fools joke... he's THREATENING to re-release the first one in 3-D... well, at least it will make the Pod race interesting.

And he's heckbent on doing Star Wars 7 in 3-D too...

Oddly enough, there IS a piece of Holiday Special merchandise, a color variant of Boba Fett that was released as a Funko bobble head a while back.

I just want the Christmas CD re-released. I heard it ONCE at a comic store, and saw it for sale... didn't get it. Never saw it again.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd still rather watch The Star Wars Holiday Special than the Star Wars prequels any day! :wink:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
No April Fools joke... he's THREATENING to re-release the first one in 3-D... well, at least it will make the Pod race interesting.
I heard the news a month ago. I've heard he's actually releasing all six in 3D, one per year, starting with episode I (I wonder if those new to the franchise who see episode I first will stay away from the others because of how that one is).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd still rather watch The Star Wars Holiday Special than the Star Wars prequels any day! :wink:
I'm the middleman on the prequels. I certainly don't think they're the franchise killing garbage everyone says they are, nor do I think they're great (except the 3rd one was very close to greatness)... the first one was very slow, and I think the Simpsons nailed it... they spent too much time on political intrigue and not enough time building characters. And the Pod races goes on TOOOOO long. And honestly, I think he needed to do what made Empire Strikes Back great... get a pinch director.

Plus, I don't think the Clone Wars series (though I haven't seen all that much outside of the movie) deserves half the crap it gets... it's better than anything Lucas has recently done. Plus, I liked Jabba having a weird, effeminate cousin. Though I prefer the Clone Wars series Genndy Tartikofsky did.

However, considering other movie studios and properties... I'd rather see something ruined by the hands of the creator than have a bunch of studio heads take the rights and do whatever they please. I keep saying Star Wars episode 1 was bad, yes... but it could have easily been a remake with Frankie Muniz as Luke and Hillary Duff as Leia, and C3-PO would be a hip hop talking robot voiced by Sinbad... shudder...

As for the special, I hear the cartoon's the only saving grace... it's not that good, but it's better than Bea Arthur randomly being there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd rather see something ruined by the hands of the creator than have a bunch of studio heads take the rights and do whatever they please.
Yeah but to me that feels even worse. To know that even the creators are capable of this kind of stuff, namely concentrating so much on special effects that the story is complete nonesense. If they don't protect these movies, who will?

The South Park guys did a commentary for their movie and talked about how part of them did wish they could go back and redo some things. But on the other hand, they also remembered how annoyed they were by Lucas and Spielberg doing it, lol.

As for the special, I hear the cartoon's the only saving grace... it's not that good, but it's better than Bea Arthur randomly being there.
Hey I liked Bea Arthur randomly being there and so did Nostalgia Critic! lol

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd like to see the special. I know it's (probably) on YouTube, but the only footage I've seen is what's in The Nostalgia Critic's review. I'm a fan of the franchise, but not too hardcore. I haven't seen the Droids or Ewoks cartoon series, I've hardly seen any of the more recent animated series, I've only seen bits and pieces of one of the ewoks movies, I haven't seen the animated Clone Wars, I'm not sure if I'll see the 3D rereleases... Mainly I've just seen the six movies.

Somehow I have a feeling this special would appeal more to people who aren't hardcore Star Wars fans. More to variety show fans. When most people think of Star Wars, they don't think celebrity guests or musical numbers.

Man, there is a bonus feature idea I wish I'd thought of when I posted this joke. I wish I'd thought to list a featurette called "Bye Bye Bootlegs".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah but to me that feels even worse.
Thinking strictly in the mind frame of someone who once felt he was going to be creative... I'd much rather take something dellusionally and tick the fans off myself, being completely oblivious because I at least know it's all in my hands. If let's say I made this cartoon series and I added a character that nobody likes but me and take it into a weird direction, sure... I might either be oblivious, or I might find it a mistake... *If I hear enough complaining I could very well change it back or ignore it.

Now... you have to think of this in the sense that you created something yourself... imagine if the studio has complete and utter control over something you created. Without your permission, they can take your characters and do whatever they want with them. And really...WHATEVER they want should sound sinister enough without my explanation... but they can force me to change the direction of the show, force me to add characters I don't want, force the characters to sell things I don't want to sell, sequel things that don't need to be sequeled... and just basically destroy anything I created... oh... and they can even fire me and take my created by credits out, claim it as their own, and deny me whatever money I deserve for coming up with it in the first place:

Several examples:

Dragon Ball GT- made entirely by Toei without the permission or supervision of Akira Toryama.

Ren and Stimpy- John K was fired for various reasons (mostly going overbudget and ticking off old lady watchdogs), but the show was such a money maker, it continued with terrible stories, animation, and disturbing tangents.

Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain- The studio wanted a change for the characters... the writers didn't... even the theme song moaned "It's what the Network Wants, why bother to complain!" They even wrote an episode of the series before it was canceled called "You'll never eat food pellets in this Town Again."

Toy Story 3- When Pixar was about to leave Disney, Disney threatened to make a terrible cheapquel with their own inhouse studio. They also had the rights to EVERY character in every movie Pixar made for Disney... thankfully things changed for the better and Pixar is owned by Disney so that's the one happy ending here...

The Real Ghostbusters- a certain writer kept getting forced out by ABC. Granted, he's not a creator... but just read up about it. Long story short, we got those terrible Slimer shorts.

And I also heard one of the guys who created Mega Man left Capcom, and now every Mega Man based project is either canceled or about to be canceled...

I have more, but I can't think of them at the top of my head. Oh yeah, the Flemish guy that created the Moomins hated how TMS's anime portrayed them... but he was able to stop them. Oddly, that's the series Japan adored the most.

As a fan, sure you hate when anyone changes anything....but as a creator you NEVER want to see anything happen to your stuff.