The Passion of the Christ

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Yes, Tom, men wrote it -- but God inspired men to write it. The Bible testifies about this itself: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God". Yes it has been translated many times, and some expressions used in it lose their entire meaning because they were unique to the culture the men God inspired to write it came from (we have our own expressions today that other cultures find difficult to translate, such as "the apple of my eye"). But the Bible's principles are repeated over and over again, many times by different human "authors", many of whom knew Jesus Christ while He was on Earth, and knew each other. Why would they write contradictory works of each other in the first place, let alone writing in accordance with God's inspiration?

I sincerely doubt that the Creator of the Universe Who inspired men to write down His Words is stupid enough to let those words lose their basic meaning. People are not flipant and irrational when it comes to translating -- why should we be given to the pessimistic assumption that people have screwed up God's infallible Word by translating it?! The original basic message is as clear as it was in English today as it was 2000 years ago. God is "the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow", and He would not deceive mankind by letting His Testimony be changed.

leliebel

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
Yes, Tom, men wrote it -- but God inspired men to write it. The Bible testifies about this itself: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God". Yes it has been translated many times, and some expressions used in it lose their entire meaning because they were unique to the culture the men God inspired to write it came from (we have our own expressions today that other cultures find difficult to translate, such as "the apple of my eye"). But the Bible's principles are repeated over and over again, many times by different human "authors", many of whom knew Jesus Christ while He was on Earth, and knew each other. Why would they write contradictory works of each other in the first place, let alone writing in accordance with God's inspiration?

I sincerely doubt that the Creator of the Universe Who inspired men to write down His Words is stupid enough to let those words lose their basic meaning. People are not flipant and irrational when it comes to translating -- why should we be given to the pessimistic assumption that people have screwed up God's infallible Word by translating it?! The original basic message is as clear as it was in English today as it was 2000 years ago. God is "the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow", and He would not deceive mankind by letting His Testimony be changed.
this reminds me of a story that I heard at my art history class. Apperantly the words for light and horns are quite alike in in aremeic (no idea how to spell that in english, sorry) Apparently, it said something like, and Moses came down the mountain and his head was surrounded by light. It was translated by, and his head was surrounded by horns. It doesn't really matter, it doesn't affect the basic message like you said, but I thought it was quite funny. Older statues of moses do have tiny little horns :smile:

I promised myself not to reply anymore, but I cna with harmless trivia. :big_grin: I don't know if it's true, because I don't speak aremeic (is it a dead language? I think so), but the statues thing is.

tomahawk

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:

So basically, all the homeless people I see mumbling on and on to themselves are being "inspired" by god and somewhere they are hiding a new book. Of course, no one has seen it because it has been kept in a secret, holy place. It has been rumored that they, who would like to be known as the 12 dumpster divers, have hidden it amongst the ruins of rusted out carcasses of shopping carts. No one ever dares to enter the holy alley due to the pungent mix of urine and whiskey. It's enough to make even the strongest non-believer run for his very life.

Skeet

Reaction score
This is what i think is amazing about the bible. People in the old testament that wrote it didn't know Jesus or what was even going to happen. Somehow they knew what was going to happen about the Messiah coming to the earth. They predicted alot of things that were going to happen in the old testament and in the new they came to true. The other thing is most of the people that wrote the bible didn't know each other and yet they still talked about the same exact thing. Through old to new. The only people that really knew each other was the Apostles when they wrote the 4 gosopels. Their might be other ones but i'm not exactly sure as to of who they would be. So if your saying the Bible is written by man then how did they know all of the stuff that was going to happen later on in the futur?

Phantom

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I felt compelled to post my $0.02.

Did Jesus exist? Yes. Without referencing the Bible, Jesus is mentioned in writings by historians from all three religions that originated in the region. The Jews think He was a "gluttonous winebibber" and a lunatic. The Muslims think He was a prophet. The Christians think He is the Son of God. Jesus is mentioned in Roman texts as well.

Did Jesus die by crucifixion? Yes. Again, without referencing the Bible, Jesus’ crucifixion is documented in a report written by Pontius Pilate that was filed with Caesar Tiberius. It mentions not only the crucifixion but an earthquake and darkness during daytime. Also, Jewish historians document the same events. An interesting point is that after the Renaissance and Galileo’s discoveries about our solar system, Jewish scholars determined the darkness came as the result a solar eclipse, which would make it an amazing coincidence. However, history tells us that Jesus was crucified during Passover, which occurs during a full moon. Scientifically, a solar eclipse could not have occurred. Because of Passover and the Sabbath, we know that Friday was the day that Jesus was crucified.

Did Jesus’ body "go missing? Yes. Once again, Roman and Jewish historians have documented the same information found in the Bible. This led to accusations that the disciples took the body or that Jesus was not dead to begin with. First, "body snatching", if the disciples did steal the body of Jesus, then 10 men were able to defraud millions of people and were willing to die for it. Most of the remaining disciples died horrible, unnatural deaths defending a "lie". Who do you know that would support a known lie in face of execution? It seems far-fetched. Second, Jesus wasn’t dead. The Romans knew how to kill people and would know if Jesus were dead or not. Crucifixion was not a pleasant death, especially after a scourging. Therefore, Jesus would in a weakened condition arose, let himself out of the tomb and over powered two guards. Pretty good for a broken man. Jesus was said to appear to as many as 500 after His body was discovered missing. The point is the body was gone. Documented.

Is Jesus the Son of God, who did all of this as atonement for sin? That’s up to each of us to decide. And it is your choice. Now, I for one believe, and I alone know why, but for funzies, let’s say that I am wrong. Then I have spent my life trying to be a better person, trying to be compassionate toward others without regards for "differences", trying to explain my hope so that others may have hope…trying to love everyone I meet, but I can not force anyone else to believe. I can only share what I believe and why. I can see where that is so horrible. I can see why Christians victims of such vitriol.

Now, what if I’m right?

This information came from numerous books that, yes, were written by Christian authors. However, many started out as books to discredit Jesus. "Testimony of the Evangelist" by Simon Greenleaf is one example. I can also get in to prophecy in the Bible, but I digress.

Beebers

Reaction score
leliebel said:
Older statues of moses do have tiny little horns
ROFL

I believe I saw some of those in the Disney Merch. aisle at Toys R Us the other day. They were selling like the devil.

Couldn't help myself, it was time for a joke anyway. Leliebel, I love your posts, not just in this thread lol.

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

leliebel

Reaction score
Beebers said:
ROFL

I believe I saw some of those in the Disney Merch. aisle at Toys R Us the other day. They were selling like the devil.

Couldn't help myself, it was time for a joke anyway. Leliebel, I love your posts, not just in this thread lol.

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:
*takes a bow*

tomahawk

Reaction score
Phantom said:

Is Jesus the Son of God, who did all of this as atonement for sin? That’s up to each of us to decide. And it is your choice. Now, I for one believe, and I alone know why, but for funzies, let’s say that I am wrong. Then I have spent my life trying to be a better person, trying to be compassionate toward others without regards for "differences", trying to explain my hope so that others may have hope…trying to love everyone I meet, but I can not force anyone else to believe. I can only share what I believe and why. I can see where that is so horrible. I can see why Christians victims of such vitriol.

Now, what if I’m right? Right or wrong, it doesn't matter. You can do all of these things and not be christian. Heck, you can even be an Atheist and be a great person. What gets me is the fact that no matter how you lived your life, if you don't take jesus as your one and only savior your doomed to eternal burning. This is the belief of many christians and has been stated on ths thread.

This information came from numerous books that, yes, were written by Christian authors. However, many started out as books to discredit Jesus. "Testimony of the Evangelist" by Simon Greenleaf is one example. I can also get in to prophecy in the Bible, but I digress.

Of course it was all written by christian authors. You could also do all the things that you mentioned above and not believe. Heck, you can be an Atheist and be a great person. But according to most christians, unless you take jesus for your one and only savior, you are doomed to eternal burning. I've got to go now. I'm off to buy my passion of the christ coffee mug. I'm gonna use it for my wine tasting class on tues.