The Passion of the Christ

truth66

Reaction score
Thank you Scarylarrywolf for clarifying my post for Tomahawk. I had a feeling I wasn't being completely clear for those who don't fully understand the Word of God.

tomahawk

Reaction score
truth66 said:
Thank you Scarylarrywolf for clarifying my post for Tomahawk. I had a feeling I wasn't being completely clear for those who don't fully understand the Word of God.
I still don't get it. He didn't clarify anything. Same old,same old.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Very well put Phantom!!!

And tomahawk, it is obvious you don't get it. And that's fine. You are free to believe whatever you wish. I'm not here to convert you. But why is it necessary for you to tear down those that do get it and do believe? :attitude:

tomahawk

Reaction score
MuppetsRule said:
Very well put Phantom!!!

And tomahawk, it is obvious you don't get it. And that's fine. You are free to believe whatever you wish. I'm not here to convert you. But why is it necessary for you to tear down those that do get it and do believe? :attitude:
I'm not tearing anyone down. I'm doing exactly what Skeet said a little while back in this thread. Trying to "make" you think. If anything is tearing anything down it's the belief that if you don't do exactly what you told it's eternal damnation for you. That is tearing down. Saying things like, you can believe what you want, but be warned, Satan has a place for you in his fiery pit. That is tearing down.

beaker

Reaction score
truth66 said:
God will either say to you, "Well done good and faithful servant enter into the joy of your Lord" or He will say, "Depart from me you worker of iniquity, I never knew you".
What about "I'd say make yourself at home, but you're probbaly not used to clouds. Btw, Ive never seen so many "!" in a post before:wink:

I believe christianity is a good backbone for America...given it gives a strong sense of community. I look at the whole world however, and try to see positive or enlightening aspects of all faiths.

One thing that is curious...what would Jesus truly think in this modern day of how people follow his teachings or unite under him?

Phantom

Reaction score
tomahawk said:
Of course it was all written by christian authors. You could also do all the things that you mentioned above and not believe. Heck, you can be an Atheist and be a great person. But according to most christians, unless you take jesus for your one and only savior, you are doomed to eternal burning. I've got to go now. I'm off to buy my passion of the christ coffee mug. I'm gonna use it for my wine tasting class on tues.
Nice way to alter my post in your quote section...

Klonoa

Reaction score
Of course you know I’d have to talk about this movie sometime. You may be wondering why I haven’t talked about it sooner, especially those who know how important my religion is to me and just the fact that I work at a church! But I didn’t want to say anything about it until I actually saw the movie. Since I live smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt where whole churches bought out theaters when The Passion came out, it took me a while to actually get tickets! Plus I’m not very good at explaining my belief and arguing about it, so once I finally saw the movie I had to think about what I was going to say for a while first. I’m not a very good evangelist, I guess. But hey, I can make and print (400 actually) one nifty church bulletin so maybe that’s where my spiritual talents lie. Even so, I really, really wanted to talk about The Passion of the Christ, so here’s my little review.

First of all, I think that The Passion of the Christ really didn’t seem like a movie. I mean, I know I saw it in a theater on a big, big screen, but it just didn’t seem like something I could call a movie or compare it to other movies. Movies are supposed to be entertaining. The Passion of the Christ was not entertaining. But then, I don’t think it was meant to be entertainment. It’s just a way to tell a powerful message about the most important event in history. I’ve read a lot of articles and things about The Passion of the Christ, and since I really don’t compare it to a movie, when I read things about it having video games based on it or fast food tie-ins (joking or not), I don’t really like reading things like that so much. Of course I’ll still call it a movie in this review, just for the sake of laziness and confusion.

Another thing about The Passion of the Christ is that I don’t think it is a movie you should take kids to see. In fact, I don’t think that some adults should see this movie. It’s very very violent. It’s the most violent movie I’ve ever seen. And, contrary to popular belief, I’ve seen some pretty violent movies. I also don’t think that The Passion of the Christ is the end-all, beat-all Christian movie. I don’t think that it is a good movie to introduce newcomers to the faith to. The violence factor is one reason, but another reason is that if they are not familiar with the source material, you’ll have to do a lot of explaining to them. I already read the Book, so I knew what was going to happen in the movie, but it was still pretty hard to keep up with what was going on in certain areas. For instance, it was kind of hard to tell which disciple was who because they were all just guys with beards. However, I think that every Christian at some point should probably see this movie.

The Passion of the Christ is all about the last 12 hours, in detail, of Jesus Christ’s life. This is when He gets caught, tried, and crucified. The settings and actors and things seemed pretty authentic. The only thing that I kind of wondered about was that in the movie, Jesus was beat up so much that I figured He would’ve died from loss of blood! Especially when considering that the real deal was probably even worse than what was portrayed here. But no, I like to think that He didn’t die after all that because Jesus was tough and He wasn’t no namby-pamby guy like what you see in all those Renaissance paintings. If that were me, I probably would’ve bit it after the first couple of clobberings, but not Jesus! No sir, He took it all and after all that, carried a big heavy cross all the way over somewhere else. It’s a good reminder on who Jesus really was, taking all that.

There were flashbacks to other times in Jesus’ life. Those were very well done because in just about every flashback was a lesson that Jesus taught in His life. And even in the non-flashback parts, Jesus never lashed out at anyone and even when He was on the cross He wasn’t concerned about Himself, He was concerned about the people around Him. That’s some good lessons about humility and love for others right there, magnified even more knowing that Jesus is God. So I think it’s safe to say that I like how they portrayed Jesus in that movie. Oh yeah! And in one flashback Jesus made a really cool table.

But yeah, most of the movie was dedicated to Jesus’ ‘punishment,’ and that was pretty tough to watch. But you know, that was also good because when I start complaining about the petty things in my life, I can just remember what Jesus went through and how it was portrayed in the movie and it puts things in perspective. And you know, I don’t think the movie was anti-semantic either. They only showed the Jewish leaders acting out against Jesus and even then it was clear in the movie that it was a political thing mostly. Really the movie made it pretty clear that the people who wanted Jesus killed were the ones who really didn’t know Him, whether it was Jews, Romans, beggars, etc. But you know, if you really want to blame someone for killing Jesus, you can blame me. Me, personally. It was my sins that put Him up on that cross and I sure am glad that God loves me so much that He sent Jesus to do all that for me, since nothing else would do.

And you know, after all that, believe it or not, that movie had a happy ending! I was kind of worried that they wouldn’t show Jesus being resurrected, but they did! I liked how they showed the rock opening up the entrance to the tomb, and there was nothing in the cloth, and Jesus was all good as new and He just walked out! It made me want to get up and stand on my movie seat and say, “Ah-HA! YEAH! You can beat Him until He’s a slab of meat, but you won’t break Him! Hooray for Jesus!” But of course, by that time in the movie I was so choked up that I really couldn’t do that. Actually I wish they would’ve shown more about His resurrection than what they did in the movie. Even though I know that His death was the most important part of His life, my favorite part is always when he is resurrected. I wish they would’ve shown Him talking with His disciples afterward or something. That’s pretty important. In fact, I’m working on a Sunday School lesson about that right now!

So all in all, I can’t say that The Passion of the Christ was a good movie, but it was a good message. Maybe since that movie is being talked about so much, we’ll get more movies about things that happened in the Bible! That would be cool! There’s so many stories in the Bible that could be made into great movies! Why do you think those VeggieTales videos are so cool? Maybe a new movie about more of Jesus’ life would be neat. In the Bible Jesus was as smart as a tack, and could put people in their place and teach them a good lesson at the same time by just saying a sentence or two! I know that it’s not explicitly in the Bible, but I also like to think that Jesus was charismatic and fun to be around. I bet kids enjoyed being with Him when He was alive and I always like to see pictures of Jesus being around kids. But then, The Passion was Mel Gibson’s movie, not mine, and he gets cool points from me for being brave enough to make that movie. And that’s why I am being brave right now by posting this.

There was a new Christian movie that came out last year in limited release called “The Gospel of John.” But I missed it! So I tried to buy it at the Christian bookstore at the mall, but they said you can only buy it online! And it’s $45 bucks! Yikes! Oh well, after that I just picked up my Easter Carol VeggieTales DVD (for 50 percent off, whoo! ), and went on my way. Luckily The Passion isn’t overmarketed with merchandise. I only saw a few posters and things at the bookstore.

Oh boy, after reading what I just wrote I sure sound preachy and my thoughts are all jumbled. Sorry. That’s just what the movie does to me I guess. You know what? I think that the best part of the movie isn’t the movie itself, it’s the fact that it is getting people to talk more about Jesus. And you know, in a world where ‘entertainment’ of the half-time variety where guys are wearing the American flag and grabbing their crotch and ladies are doing things we’re all too well aware about because of the media, I think that more talk about Jesus is a good thing!

--Klonoa

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
tomahawk said:
So basically, all the homeless people I see mumbling on and on to themselves are being "inspired" by god and somewhere they are hiding a new book. Of course, no one has seen it because it has been kept in a secret, holy place. It has been rumored that they, who would like to be known as the 12 dumpster divers, have hidden it amongst the ruins of rusted out carcasses of shopping carts. No one ever dares to enter the holy alley due to the pungent mix of urine and whiskey. It's enough to make even the strongest non-believer run for his very life.
OK, your "homeless person analogy" speaks nothing but irrelivancy to me. The only point that I could possibly make out of this is that you are attempting to portray the 12 disciples as drunks, which is an argument easily subdued by the fact that drunk people rarely agree with anyone (as the disciples who wrote down parts of the New Testament clearly did), much less write legibly about theology.

Other than that I have to idea what you meant by that.

So in light of your recent analogy, and your purchasing your "Passion" mug, I suggest you take it easy on the wine tasting... :wink: (just a friendly jab there)

Beebers

Reaction score
I'm the granddaughter of an Episcopal minister who had his own church. My mother, (his daughter) was deeply religious due to her upbringing; my father was agnostic due to his very harsh, religion-based upbringing. My mother had us in church every Sunday of our growing-up. My father, an environmen-
talist, took us to the natural world and said here is your evidence of God, should such a thing exist.
I consequently grew up with warring parental factions, a resultant open mind, and it so happens that I choose not to spend time in church. I personally have no need of any organized entity to reinforce or buttress my faith or beliefs, which happen to run quite deep.
I fully understand and respect the things that places of worship offer to many, and I have no trouble with that. I am however deeply troubled by anyone of any faith who does not offer the same in return to those unlike themselves, and those who predict dire spiritual consequences for those who differ from themselves.
I do not and never have held that any faith or set of beliefs is to be imposed by anyone upon anyone. Intelligence, education and exploration of faith and faiths will lead anyone, on their own initiative, to what is correct for them; and I believe it is incumbent upon human beings to do so, rather than to blindly accept ANYTHING.
I do not accept that Christianity, whose base and roots dwell in Judaeism, is imprimatur or permission for non-acceptance of each other. In fact, I drew precisely the opposite conclusion. Harshness, cruelty, violence, human superiority, judgementalism and intolerance should never be allowed to hide behind the voluminous and all-too-handy skirts of any faith. Yet it still goes on daily, throughout the world, despite the dangerous folly that history has long taught us it is.

tomahawk

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
OK, your "homeless person analogy" speaks nothing but irrelivancy to me. The only point that I could possibly make out of this is that you are attempting to portray the 12 disciples as drunks, which is an argument easily subdued by the fact that drunk people rarely agree with anyone (as the disciples who wrote down parts of the New Testament clearly did), much less write legibly about theology.

Other than that I have to idea what you meant by that.

So in light of your recent analogy, and your purchasing your "Passion" mug, I suggest you take it easy on the wine tasting... :wink: (just a friendly jab there)
That's alright, I don't understand either. I was reeeaaaalllyy drunk when I wrote it. Wait, did I even write that. Hmmmm, anyways, back to the wine.