The New Muppet Show

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Ken,

It HAS been announced officially - a long time ago. As far as i knew anyway. They certainly announced the show and who would be producing it.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2002/030702.shtml

I know this is a third party article but the quotes from Fox Entertainment & Henson were kind of the official announcement. The Henson Company doesn't always do things in press releases nowdays, and it's certainly not just been rumnored to happen, a deal was officially struck.

I guess you'd only have to speak to Henson for a confirmation.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Stulz said:
I think FOX WILL let it grow...

Well let's hope it's really "Simpson's" treatment ... :big_grin:

Chris
Oh my goodness! The above post got me to thinking.

Just imagine . . . if JHP tapped a couple of "The Simpsons" writers.

Talk about the show to end all shows!

(BTW, I'm new here. I just recently found this site, and it's the coolest! And I just had to throw my two cents in!)

-Scraps

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I'd think it would do welll with a similar theme as the original show too, but with maybe some tweaks to differentiate it, since really, the old show did pretty much all that could be done....

it'd be a shame to waste the whole new theatre set from the Christmas movie though...

turlem

Reaction score
beaker said:
>>>They are still debating if they want to make this a tredny, edgy series, or if they want to revive the old format<<<

is there even a question? even in the press release they said edgy. trendy and old school would be lame. i personally would like to see just straigh tup edgy and innovative, maybe even a bit 3am humor ala snl at 14:45 am ish:wink:

as for greg the bunny, people were like 'lets give greg a chance'...and i was thinking man, c'mon! there shouldnt have even been a pilto made, its garbage! hehe

just wondering if this is a march mid season replacement or fall 2003 thing?

yuck, no the only format that's gonna work w/ a new show is the classic one. there far too many characters for a sitcom to work, and as much as we all hate to admit it, the muppets are wholesome. not as wholesome as everybody thinks, but still very wholresome. they knew this when they were doin MT, and if not for that shows major flaws it would still be on today, (one of those flaws was not format). Do you really wanting a kermit who curses, i wouldn't, that daily show interview was great, but he shouldn't be anywhere past that.. the new show should bring back old sketches, (vet's hospital, pigs in space) as well as new ones. Oh, and get S & W back in the booth and Rowlf backas a major player, you need those guys.

oh, and what was the first half of the henson hour like? i know the second half wwas story teller, but the first was what? and how many eps were there?

and why was the first show cancelled, that's always been a mystery to me

Luke

Reaction score
turlem said:
yuck, no the only format that's gonna work w/ a new show is the classic one. there far too many characters for a sitcom to work, and as much as we all hate to admit it, the muppets are wholesome. not as wholesome as everybody thinks, but still very wholresome. they knew this when they were doin MT, and if not for that shows major flaws it would still be on today, (one of those flaws was not format). Do you really wanting a kermit who curses, i wouldn't, that daily show interview was great, but he shouldn't be anywhere past that.. the new show should bring back old sketches, (vet's hospital, pigs in space) as well as new ones. Oh, and get S & W back in the booth and Rowlf backas a major player, you need those guys.
It needs to be a mix of edgy and classic - i agree nowhere near past the daily show style stuff though. The plain 'old' format wouldn't work because long sketches and musical numbers don't work now. TV is more about short skits and quick laughs, as well as celebrity. I would argue that one of the problems with MT WAS format - it wasn't that bad, and promotion/scheduling and the use of too many new characters in main roles were the major problems but the format wasn't all that either.

thefozz

Reaction score
So is this show in what the entertainment folk like to call "development ****"?

It was announced as a series in development over a year and a half ago now! If this was a movie, it might be understandable, but it's almost unheardof for a TV series to take this long.

Now that I am saying they should rush things. They need to make sure they get things right, and perfection takes time. But I am more concerned about the actual existence of the show. Does it even have a future? Things really don't seem very promising when there has been no news for such a long period of time.