1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The New Muppet Show

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by the_great_gonzo, Jul 15, 2002.

1. the_great_gonzo

the_great_gonzo New Member

Just wondering if anyone knows absolutely anything about the new muppet show that's going to be on fox? Plot,characters,anything. It would be awesome if someone could help.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Sorry! No word yet. They are still debating if they want to make this a tredny, edgy series, or if they want to revive the old format. Personally, I would like to see the show, a mixture of The Muppet Show, and the first half of the Jim Henson Hour (second half is out of the question, I think. They wouldn't give the Muppets a whole hour, unless Miss Piggy was an anorexic lawyer). I feel it should have all the characters, classic, Jim Henson Hour, and Muppets tonight. (Including Clifford, Digit, Sal and Johnny, Pepe, as well as Swedish Chef and Link Hogthrob).

But that's my two cents.
  3. doctort13

doctort13 Member

I agree

As another "doc" I have to agree with my associate above and say that I too would like to see all the Muppets on the new program. I am worried that FOX won't let it develop into a classic series. They tend to pull the plug on shows too quickly. Remember The Tick, Family Guy, Greg the Bunny, or 21 Jump Street?:p
  4. Stulz

Stulz Member

New Muppet Show on FOX

I think FOX WILL let it grow...

Family Guy.... perfect example ... HOW many times was that show pushed around, cancelled, brought back, cancelled agian, put in a WORST slot on the schedule before finnally being canned for real.

"Greg" and "The Tick" must have had terribly bad ratings for them to pull the plug so early.

Let's just hope The new Muppets get more of a "Family Guy" treatment then "Greg" and the "Tick".

Well let's hope it's really "Simpson's" treatment ... :D

Chris
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

>>>They are still debating if they want to make this a tredny, edgy series, or if they want to revive the old format<<<

is there even a question? even in the press release they said edgy. trendy and old school would be lame. i personally would like to see just straigh tup edgy and innovative, maybe even a bit 3am humor ala snl at 14:45 am ish;)

as for greg the bunny, people were like 'lets give greg a chance'...and i was thinking man, c'mon! there shouldnt have even been a pilto made, its garbage! hehe

just wondering if this is a march mid season replacement or fall 2003 thing?
  6. Luke

Luke Active Member

Actually it's got quite a way further than the format planning stages, i think even onto commisioning writers and things. Many reports have confirmed they have taken the 'edgy', 'dramatic new format' approach but i've also heard it will be set in something similar to a theater though that rumor was around when they were in the very early stages so things could have changed. I've heard reports that first impressions aren't that positive, but they have been very sketchy so we shall see.
  7. towels

towels New Member

I don't know. It depends on what is considered "edgy and trendy". The Muppets shouldn't be like South Park or Crank Yankers edgy.

When Fox announced their fall schedule, they also listed two or three midseason replacements, none of which included the Muppets. I think Fall '03 at the earliest.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Re: New Muppet Show on FOX

Really, I think it should have the Simpsons, Malcom treatment.

As long as the Simpsons, and rerun as often as Malcom.

Greg and Tick had disasterous ratings, because of lousy time slots (and for the tick, some people just didn't like it), Greg was opposite "West Wing" and Tick was opposite "Survivor, and Friends" (any show with that slot is DOOMED!! DOOMED!!

But Fox loves to cancel stuff and put in terrible mid seasnon replacements, especially in the summer (Look at an add for the Summer season!!!!)

Let's just hope it's on at a good time slot, and it gets tons of support, eh?
  9. uncleduke

uncleduke New Member

Re: Re: New Muppet Show on FOX

Hopefully it will go into the Sunday rotation, with Futurama and X-files gone, there's room for sure.
    I think Fox will give it a good chance, they lost so many of their shows this spring, they will need so shows to fill in the slots.
  10. ResidentLilly

ResidentLilly Active Member

Maybe I am an old school purist, but with everything old being new again...I would like to see just the same Muppet Show format re-done. Add in some new Muppets, maybe a few different running gags...but do the Muppet Show, pure and simple, the way it was meant to be done.

But that's just me...

In any case, I hope the new show is good and that it gets announced officially soon. Would love to go into Toy Fair 2003 with info to retailers that there will be TV support. THAT would really help the line.
  11. Luke

Luke Active Member

Hey Ken,

It HAS been announced officially - a long time ago. As far as i knew anyway. They certainly announced the show and who would be producing it.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2002/030702.shtml

I know this is a third party article but the quotes from Fox Entertainment & Henson were kind of the official announcement. The Henson Company doesn't always do things in press releases nowdays, and it's certainly not just been rumnored to happen, a deal was officially struck.

I guess you'd only have to speak to Henson for a confirmation.
  12. Luke

Luke Active Member

13. ScrapsFlippy

ScrapsFlippy Member

Oh my goodness! The above post got me to thinking.

Just imagine . . . if JHP tapped a couple of "The Simpsons" writers.

Talk about the show to end all shows!

(BTW, I'm new here. I just recently found this site, and it's the coolest! And I just had to throw my two cents in!)

-Scraps
  14. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

That was from March 2002! What the heck is happening with this thing? Is it even possible for the show to be out for the new fall season?
  15. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

I'd think it would do welll with a similar theme as the original show too, but with maybe some tweaks to differentiate it, since really, the old show did pretty much all that could be done....

it'd be a shame to waste the whole new theatre set from the Christmas movie though...
  16. turlem

turlem New Member

yuck, no the only format that's gonna work w/ a new show is the classic one. there far too many characters for a sitcom to work, and as much as we all hate to admit it, the muppets are wholesome. not as wholesome as everybody thinks, but still very wholresome. they knew this when they were doin MT, and if not for that shows major flaws it would still be on today, (one of those flaws was not format). Do you really wanting a kermit who curses, i wouldn't, that daily show interview was great, but he shouldn't be anywhere past that.. the new show should bring back old sketches, (vet's hospital, pigs in space) as well as new ones. Oh, and get S & W back in the booth and Rowlf backas a major player, you need those guys.

oh, and what was the first half of the henson hour like? i know the second half wwas story teller, but the first was what? and how many eps were there?

and why was the first show cancelled, that's always been a mystery to me
  17. Luke

Luke Active Member

It needs to be a mix of edgy and classic - i agree nowhere near past the daily show style stuff though. The plain 'old' format wouldn't work because long sketches and musical numbers don't work now. TV is more about short skits and quick laughs, as well as celebrity. I would argue that one of the problems with MT WAS format - it wasn't that bad, and promotion/scheduling and the use of too many new characters in main roles were the major problems but the format wasn't all that either.
  18. thefozz

thefozz New Member

So is this show in what the entertainment folk like to call "development ****"?

It was announced as a series in development over a year and a half ago now! If this was a movie, it might be understandable, but it's almost unheardof for a TV series to take this long.

Now that I am saying they should rush things. They need to make sure they get things right, and perfection takes time. But I am more concerned about the actual existence of the show. Does it even have a future? Things really don't seem very promising when there has been no news for such a long period of time.