The Muppets and Lady Gaga in new Christmas special November 28 on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I agree with you, beaker. The Disney Channel is the only resource for live action programming for a very lucrative target audience that other networks have forgotten. Everything else is reality programming, gameshows or cartoons. I enjoy hearing that they weave some very modern and inclusive themes into their sitcoms, yet they all play out like slap-stick Full House episodes to me. Eugh. I think they could step up their game, but there's no reason to meddle with what works. Attaching Muppets to that is a no-brainer. They went to where a very important audience is to introduce themselves. It's an unfortunate necessity so I'll turn a blind eye. What I would like to see is the Muppets invading the bumpers for ABC Family again.

beaker

Reaction score
I agree with you, beaker. The Disney Channel is the only resource for live action programming for a very lucrative target audience that other networks have forgotten. Everything else is reality programming, gameshows or cartoons. I enjoy hearing that they weave some very modern and inclusive themes into their sitcoms, yet they all play out like slap-stick Full House episodes to me. Eugh. I think they could step up their game, but there's no reason to meddle with what works. Attaching Muppets to that is a no-brainer. They went to where a very important audience is to introduce themselves. It's an unfortunate necessity so I'll turn a blind eye. What I would like to see is the Muppets invading the bumpers for ABC Family again.
I understand...but for me my criticism is simply at the Disney channel tween shows. For some reason I think the 90's versions of those *types* of shows were way better. Clarissa Explains It All, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, All That, Boy Meets World, My Cousin Skeeter. I could still watch those now and enjoy them.

And while I have fond memories of Full House/Family Matters/Perfect Strangers, one of the(if not THE) funniest shows Ive ever seen on television has to be Modern Family. There's something about that show that has me crying with laughter almost every episode. And I LOVVVE Gravity Falls. To me it hands down beats Adv Time and Regular Show, and for me falls more into the glory of Invader Zim or The Simpsons.
And of course the Tron cartoon. So tv wise, Disney does a lot of amazing contemporary stuff.

Muppet invasion of bumpers and idents would rock. Strangely I thought we'd be seeing way more internet and tv promos for MMW...as around the 4 months to go mark in 2011 we were being avalanched by ads.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I understand...but for me my criticism is simply at the Disney channel tween shows. For some reason I think the 90's versions of those *types* of shows were way better. Clarissa Explains It All, The Adventures of Pete and Pete, All That, Boy Meets World, My Cousin Skeeter. I could still watch those now and enjoy them.

And while I have fond memories of Full House/Family Matters/Perfect Strangers, one of the(if not THE) funniest shows Ive ever seen on television has to be Modern Family. There's something about that show that has me crying with laughter almost every episode. And I LOVVVE Gravity Falls. To me it hands down beats Adv Time and Regular Show, and for me falls more into the glory of Invader Zim or The Simpsons.
And of course the Tron cartoon. So tv wise, Disney does a lot of amazing contemporary stuff.

Muppet invasion of bumpers and idents would rock. Strangely I thought we'd be seeing way more internet and tv promos for MMW...as around the 4 months to go mark in 2011 we were being avalanched by ads.
I think the marketing so far is pitch perfect:

• 24 months before release, the film is announced
  • 10 months before release Entertainment Weekly interviews Kermit about the film and debuts an amazing promotional image
  • 6 ½ months before release we got a teaser
  • 4 ½ months before release we get a poster and a new website
  • 3 ¾ months before release and we'll get a Thanksgiving prime-time star-studded special featuring clips from the film

Any further advertisement before Thanksgiving would get lost in the mix. Disney is better at film promotion than anyone else. I wouldn't doubt their plan, especially after last time. You couldn't escape the Muppet mania I saw everywhere.

These days, the push usually begins three months in with a major blitz in the three weeks before release. Disney is pushing Frozen right now. I'm surprised there hasn't been more press for Mr. Banks. Both films will most definitely feature MMW trailers.

What will probably happen:
  • November 2013 Full trailer debut before Frozen
  • December 2013 Another trailer shown before Saving Mr. Banks
  • January 2013 Poster campaign in theaters
  • January 2014 Viral advertising campaign
  • January 2014 Products hit Disney Store shelves
  • January 2014 Billboards and bus ads
  • February 2014 Magazine interviews
  • February 2014 TV advertising campaign
  • March 2014 Limited products hit retail outlets
  • March 2014 Talk show appearances
  • March 2014 Soundtrack release
  • March 2014 Star-studded premiere
  • March 21, 2014 Release date
  • July 2014 Talk show appearances
  • July 2014 Home Video release

galagr

Reaction score
  • January 2014 Products hit Disney Store shelves

February 2014 The Muppet fan community is dissapointed once again after seeing complete and absolute lack of products in stores.

Lets face it. If any new merchandise was coming out for this movie (besides the Gonzo and Animal plushes we saw earlier), we would've known about it by now.

beaker

Reaction score
February 2014 The Muppet fan community is dissapointed once again after seeing complete and absolute lack of products in stores.

Lets face it. If any new merchandise was coming out for this movie (besides the Gonzo and Animal plushes we saw earlier), we would've known about it by now.
NAILED IT.

People like us will go, come March 2014 "Hey where's the merchandise?"
Then staunch Disney defenders will say stuff like "Hey we got a movie, aren't you happy?" or "What are you talking about? At a Walmart in Talahasse I heard there's muppet shaped rubber bands and an Animal baseball hat! It's a merchandise bonanza!"

Or "well, wait til the third Muppet film, if it's successful then we'll get a ton of merchandise".

Same song and dance

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really don't get why they're just so reluctant to put so much as a t-shirt in stores. It's not going to derail any long term plans or anything. Personally, I'm ticked that they burned through the Wreck it Ralph merchandise before the thing hit home video. And everything but the obscure Sugar Rush characters were selling like hot cakes.

The Muppet plush toys back during the last movie sold solidly, and Rizzos and Pepes were never restocked making them rare collector's items. And yet, I see the same Cars 2 stuff that's been there for 2-3 years (except Kabuki Mater... figures, the one I actually would like to own).

jvcarroll

Reaction score

I never said this would be a big product push. I just pointed to when and where they are likely to come out.

I don't think there will be a lot of product in stores, but I definitely think there will be some. I suspect the Disney Stores will get a Muppets display, the usual mugs, thermoses, t-shirts, plushes and possibly a PVC set (the last one is probably wishful thinking). We'll probably get Kermit and the gang printed on an assortment of other housewares, electronics items and other gizmos at other retailers too.

Why is this? Because the toy market sucks. The truth is this- The modest profit made by all involved doesn't really justify the risk. There are ways around that, but it takes a company passionate enough to approach Disney with a solid plan. Sadly, there are no more Palisades out there. No one to shepherd a niche product and make it popular. Fans keep complaining about products, but there are some products. We just want more and, for the most part, we're talking figures. Fans want figures. PVC's, action figures, wind-up toys and all of that stuff. That's what's missing. I hope they fix that.

Make no mistake, there will be at least a modest Muppet push at Disney Stores and other products trickling out to other retailers in the first quarter of 2014.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The weird thing is, there is plenty of Muppet stuff... just not at the Disney Store for some reason. It's not a huge push, and I agree the Toy Market sucks because toys aren't crappy, easy to develop apps that freaking charge you for in game virtual farts. Why, at the Target Halloween clearance I picked up a Mummy Kermit and a Skeleton Fozzie Bear (both small plush), and kinda had to scour the aisles and found them under things. Not to mention the Funko Pop figures (which all sold out before I could get any...&^%$) and bobbleheads. Somehow, it seems there is a market, but Disney kinda doesn't follow up on it some times.

You can find Muppet T-shirts and hats and stuff if you look hard enough, but I don't see why none of that is in a Disney Store. I'm sure we'll get a small amount of other merchandise by the time the next movie comes out, but if they want to establish this as an everlasting brand that doesn't need to survive movie to movie, they need a slightly bigger general retail presence. Not so much toys, as crummy, disposable seasonal good or something like that.

Which is why their Planes push ticks me off. The movie barely made back its budget, and Disney called it a win (I mean, considering that Lone Ranger..well, I don't even have to finish that statement). Now they're going to shove a forgettable group of racial stereotype planes in everyone's faces because they so badly wanted a sub-brand of a cash cow to be a cash cow.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The weird thing is, there is plenty of Muppet stuff... just not at the Disney Store for some reason. It's not a huge push, and I agree the Toy Market sucks because toys aren't crappy, easy to develop apps that freaking charge you for in game virtual farts. Why, at the Target Halloween clearance I picked up a Mummy Kermit and a Skeleton Fozzie Bear (both small plush), and kinda had to scour the aisles and found them under things. Not to mention the Funko Pop figures (which all sold out before I could get any...&^%$) and bobbleheads. Somehow, it seems there is a market, but Disney kinda doesn't follow up on it some times.

You can find Muppet T-shirts and hats and stuff if you look hard enough, but I don't see why none of that is in a Disney Store. I'm sure we'll get a small amount of other merchandise by the time the next movie comes out, but if they want to establish this as an everlasting brand that doesn't need to survive movie to movie, they need a slightly bigger general retail presence. Not so much toys, as crummy, disposable seasonal good or something like that.

Which is why their Planes push ticks me off. The movie barely made back its budget, and Disney called it a win (I mean, considering that Lone Ranger..well, I don't even have to finish that statement). Now they're going to shove a forgettable group of racial stereotype planes in everyone's faces because they so badly wanted a sub-brand of a cash cow to be a cash cow.
Planes and Cars stuff sells well no matter what. I don't blame them for the cash grab. Companies are supposed to make money for their investors.

As someone who used to take an annual trip to Muppet Stuff NYC as a kid, the limited amount of merch is kind of maddening. If you ever entered that store, you'd be aware of every conceivable product that could be Muppetized in the 80's. It was amazing. We don't live in that time anymore (except for Japan). Goods are now virtual. I give it another 5 years before Blu-rays go the way of the Compact-Disc. That's not to say some stuff won't always be out there, but there's less of it and nobody's really taking any gambles on anything anymore.

This is a reasonable list of what I'd like to see. Only the last item is a longshot:
  • Fossil-type wristwatches (and clocks)
  • PVC figures (and keychains)
  • Puppets (it would be nice to revisit and update the vintage Fisher Price designs)
  • Craft projects (the Muppets used to have so many of them and they are sorely missed)
  • School supplies (Notebooks, pens and lunchboxes stocked at Target and Walgreens like they used to be in the 80's)
  • A full set of signature plushes (a continuation of the Disney Stores effort, but better made)
  • Calendars & Posters with all-new photographic images
  • The Muppet Show series & specials (If the DVD rights are too pricey, release them to a streaming service. That should create a loophole or at least we could pay per-episode.)
  • Collectible figures (even if it's a niche set-up containing only a few characters a year, they need to have a figure line)

Status
Not open for further replies.