The Muppet Show on BBC1 in the 80's?

peterjmay

Reaction score
I knew ITV aired the muppets in the 70s but did the BBC show it aswell? Did they air all the episodes. Also was the muppets on Disney Channel UK ever?

SeanC

Reaction score
I knew ITV aired the muppets in the 70s but did the BBC show it aswell? Did they air all the episodes. Also was the muppets on Disney Channel UK ever?
Yes, it was shown on BBC during the mid to late 80s. I'm not sure if they showed all 5 seasons or not, but I certainly remember seeing the odd episode now and again when I was at my Gran's.
Possibly 1987 or thereabouts...

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
45 of the 120 edited (without UK skits) episodes were screened on BBC1 from 8 February 1986 to 7 October 1987. Original openings from season 1 were shown.

The Muppet Babies was shown the Disney Channel UK but odd "Classic" Muppet thing was shown (mainly "Letters to Santa" special).

Hope this info helps

James Denny

Reaction score
I also think they may have shown an episode as part of a tribute to Lew Grade, and possibly one during a tribute to John Cleese as well but im a bit sketchy on that

Jamie B

Reaction score
I also think they may have shown an episode as part of a tribute to Lew Grade, and possibly one during a tribute to John Cleese as well but im a bit sketchy on that
It was the John Cleese episode shown as part of a tribute to Lew Grade/ATV on BBC Two on a Saturday night, JD, just to clean up your sketchiness! - I'm pretty sure that was all we've had on terrestrial since '87...

Nickelodeon UK showed seemingly all 120 episodes around 94-95, then again late night in '99-ish, but only Sky customers got the extended hours for most of that time, and I know I was one of those who missed out...

The Disney Channel rarely shows anything older at all, so I'd be majorly surprised if we ever see anything from them...The DC logo'd episodes on Youtube originate from Austrailia, apparently...

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Yeah Disney Australia aired TMS, Faffner and Muppet Babies.

SeanC

Reaction score
Nickelodeon UK showed seemingly all 120 episodes around 94-95, then again late night in '99-ish, but only Sky customers got the extended hours for most of that time, and I know I was one of those who missed out...
Heh, speaking of 'Muppet Show' reruns, I remember around 2004 or thereabouts, Irish tv channel TG4 ( possibly available in the UK if you live in Northern Ireland or Wales ) showed a lot of episodes. Not sure if they showed the whole run or not, but I didn't watch them. This was mainly because as TG4 is a network designed to promote the Irish language, the episodes were DUBBED in Gaelic! Well, kind of dubbed. The Muppet characters were speaking Irish, but the human guest stars were left with their English vocals intact. Very strange... although I do recall noting that the dubbers were making a strong effort to mimic the original voices. I really should have recorded a few episodes for novelty value.

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
The first one they showed on BBC1 was the Elton John episode they aired on a Wednesday night.

I still have it on video somewhere.

They then showed muppets tonight.

Nickelodeon showed the Muppet Show from season 1 too in the late 90's

Muppet Babies was exclusive to BBC1 Fraggle Rock was on ITV as was Sesame Street which showed at 09:25 on a Saturday.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
45 of the 120 edited (without UK skits) episodes were screened on BBC1 from 8 February 1986 to 7 October 1987. Original openings from season 1 were shown.
As I recall they did use the openings for the various seaons. The only problem was they used to show episodes from different seasons all jumbled up. So one week it might be a Season 3 episode, then the next week say a Season 5 episode, then perhapsa Season 1 epsiode - Hence no fan watching could remember the theme song cause they kept broadcasting a different version in sucessive weeks,