The Muppet Man BioPic

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love the comments on that one... all tantamount to "OH NOES! They're stomping creativity."

I'm sorry... but creativity? The script was full of depressing Oscar bait and bleak Muppet Moments that look like BAD Robot Chicken sketches played at a dramatic angle. And they just skimmed wikipedia (not even MUPPET Wikipedia?) to loosely create a plot? Sure, it would have been a fabulous movie for people who want to see depressing garbage because it's "Heavy" and they equate that with a well done film. To put such sadness in the life of someone who gave the world such joy... other than the obvious "I'm an artist and I think juxtaposing 2 extremes is the high of artistness," there's nothing that says "This is an homage."

Slackbot

Reaction score
I wish the link weren't dead. I'd like to read this script. From the other comments it sounds like it wasn't very accurate in either detail or spirit, but I'd have liked to judge for myself.

And, heh, I love a good train wreck.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Somehow, I don't feel the writer's comments of "He was my personal Walt Disney" is that authentic if his movie about him comes off with a "He was a TERRIBLE failure, even when he was successful" aesthetic bout the whole thing. Mark my words, I don't want some sugar coated lie, but I don't want some sullen "Life is HORRIBLE" Oscar bait either. But even the "humorous" cutscenes were devoid of joy and fun, with mirthless and depressing depictions of the Muppets being failures too. And it overly exaggerated things that were suggested too.

I love their excuse of playing it up as a "Being John Malkovich" type film. No. The guy who wrote this wanted a weepy depressionfest because we should only feel depressed and miserable because art has to purposely not be pretty to be art. Now, I can appreciate dark humor, but the thing about Dark humor is that it still has to be humorous. There were cutscenes with an obese diabetic Fozzie (He's a bear... ever see a THIN bear? Anyone who has can't possibly come back alive), and Kermit living in a flophouse apartment sullen because Piggy left him... or something like that, I forget. Again, it feels like a BAD Family Guy cutscene that goes on too long and doesn't have a joke.

Now, if the writer was getting at Jim SHOULD have been a bigger celebrity than he was, and a lot of his non-Muppet work was under-appreciated, he didn't. It seemed like everything's a failure, especially a success.

I'd love to call it a train wreck, but it was more like a mother gorilla cuddling her dead baby. Not even enjoyable on a dark level.