1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Muppet Man BioPic

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Kiki, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

While looking up gigs my friend and I came across this in the Heralde Sun in the "extra" (a weekly part of the paper about film and music) section...

A young Australian filmmaker has become the tal of Hollywood after topping The Black List, an influencial ranking of the hottest unproduced screenplays in the movie business.
    Christopher Weekes, 29, penned 'Muppet Man', a script about the life of the late Muppets creator Jim Henson, in only 19 days last year. 'Muppet Man' took out the no.1 slot ahead of 'The Social Network', a Facebook docudrama written by Aaron Sorkin (TV's 'The West Wing'). Debate is raging as to whether 'The Muppet Man' will ever be made.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong catagory- if it is I don't mind if it's moved. What do you guys make of this?
  2. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I think I'd like to see a documentary about Jim Henson's life before seeing a "biopic" type movie. I'm not always a huge fan of those. (And I still don't know how to pronounce that word- is it bi-opic or bio-pic?):confused:
  3. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm the same. I'm keen to see an actual doco of his life before viewing a biopic (yeah, I think you're right there ;)) type of film. Although I must admit, it might have something to do with the fact that I've had iffy experiences when it comes to those, I always have to nitpick something about them, that's just the way I am! (Fer r'instance, the guy who plays John Lennon in Nowhere Boy looks nothing like him when he was young IMO, and same goes for the other Beatles. I know, the'yre young, but I've seen a pic of Lennon when he was *five* and you can still say, "yep, that's John all right!")
  4. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

What exactly is a biopic? Is it one of those things where someone would play Jim Henson and it would be like an actual movie?

'cause, yeah, I don't really care for those. Something about someone playing a real person... I just always thought that was kind of iffy.

I'd much rather see an actual documentary.
  5. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Agreed. I reckon biopics are extremely hard to pull off... and then you have those films where they recreate a certain moment, and some of them are great, while others are quite inaccurate (creative licsense, I suppose), ORRR on more embarrassing occasions, you'll barely see the "main characters". I remember watching the fictional I Wanna Hold Your Hand, about a couple of girls visiting the hotel which The Beatles were staying at, hoping to bump into them. The Beatles are in it, only their faces are never shown! It was rather embarrassing to watch, honestly...
  6. TheHairyMonster

TheHairyMonster New Member

I have no doubt that I'd watch the movie... but I don't know how well it would turn out.

I read something about Jim Carrey showing interest? I thought that would be interesting, if only for the fact that Jim Carrey is one of my idols.... so it would be one of my idols playing another. :insatiable:

As for biopics... I never thought they would be my thing, but the two I can remember watching, Man on the Moon and Ed Wood, I really enjoyed. Milk was good as well.
  7. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Ah yes, Milk was very good, actually. Also, another biopic film that I just remembered, Factory Girl, about Edie Sedgwick's encounter with Andy Warhol. I heard it recieved some criticism, for apparently being historically incorrect, which I suppose you have to watch out for. But overall it was a really good film, to me it seemed that they really did a good job on portraying the underground NY scene of the 60s.

Jim Carey? Man that would be cool, that guys' great. If anything comes of the screenplay I'd definately see it, it's really fastinating that Carey showed intrest. I reckon he could play a kooky muppeteer (*Richard Hunt keeps coming to mind*). :batty:
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

At least if they release this one day, we can ask our friends, "Have you seen the Muppet Man?"

"The Muppet man?"

"The Muppet Man!"

"Yes!" they'll reply, "I've seen the Muppet Man. He lives on drury lane?"
  9. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Roffle. xD You're so wise, Beau. =3
  10. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

that would be cool to see as a documentary. hopefully we'll see it someday.
  11. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Just don't see this (particular) film being made. I'm sure Henson bought it mainly to keep it out of other studios' hands. They may eventually embark on a Henson bio but it would be another script (the "Henson" script from a year ago or a whole other one entirely). Despite the attention it's garnered, The Muppet Man would be a disservice to Jim's memory and legacy as it was written by someone who neither really knew him, did the level of research that would earn him anywhere from a "C-" to an "F" if it were graded by an instructor, and simply failed to "get" Jim Henson and what he was about. There's a great movie waiting to be made about Jim but "The Muppet Man" isn't it.
  12. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

Yeah, I definately see where you're coming from, dwmckim.
  13. Luke

Luke Active Member

Muppet Man Jim Henson Bio-Pic Possibly Going Ahead - Now With Disney Involvement

From Vulture :-

Two source links -

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/03/jim_henson_biopic.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a207434/henson-muppet-man-biopic-moving-forward.html
  14. Luke

Luke Active Member

This is excellent news. Various scripts have been in limbo for ages and you can't really make a movie about Henson's life without having an agreement to use the Muppets so this is big news if both Disney and Jim Henson Company are talking about working together on something.

It really needs big backing and promotion to do it justice though. Hopefully Disney will get properly involved and not just allow a few minutes of token Muppet appearances.
  15. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

16. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

17. Luke

Luke Active Member

yes same project! I really never thought Diz would get involved given all the corporate stuff but it seems the relationship between them and JHC is pretty good - they seem to have decided there is a need to allow the Muppets to still be involved with projects that celebrate Jim's legacy such as this and the Fantastic World's exhibit - i think a lot of people were worried about that after seeing Kermit cut out of Emmet Otter etc.

Its just talk for now though, and i'm not too sure what that director has that makes him their pick, but its a very good source so we'll see what happens.
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I have to admit to not being particularly happy with the initial pitch of this picture, but with both Disney and Henson involved there will definitely be massive revisions. I'm sure that Disney is just as concerned about Jim's portrayal as the JHC. We'll see what happens. He definitely deserves a biopic.
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The words "Not at all accurate" scare the crap out of me. It's no big secret that I HATE a good number of biopics (there are some good ones out there, but I'm not a huge fan) or any movies based on real events. But "not at all accurate" could mean so many things. At best, I get the impression we're gonna see Jim creating Between the Lions in 1967... at worst... I don't even wanna think about it.
  20. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Okay, it said they got the rights to use the Muppet Show Muppets. But what about Sesame Street or Fraggle Rock, are they not a BIG part of his life and legacy? :confused: