The Mouse is Wooing Miss Piggy

Thog

Reaction score
Anyone remember when they had the USA Cartoon Express on USA? They would show Pac Man and others like Captin Cave Man.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I remember that, they had all the toons riding the train with some polar bear driving it, gosh how i miss that Pac Man show!

The magic in Saturdays is gone now, i don't know if it's because i'm growing up or if the show are junk...The shows are junk!!

I remember watching Pee-Wee Playhouse,Camp Candy,Garfield & Friends,Heathcliff,The Raccoons,The Super Mario Brothers super show, and Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles and knowing TV could be better, and then it took a turn for the worse.

Zack)Rowlf the, Anyone remember "The Littlest Hobo"?taped in the 80's. this is not a cartoon show but it was about a stray dog then travled around and found new humans friends in each ep, so the dog had a diffrent name because who ever found him named him. Then at the end of the show he would leave the person and set out in the world again. I know it aired in Canada, I'm just so close in New York i got the TV station.Dog.

"There's a voice that keeps on calling me, down the road that's where i'll always be. Every stop I make, I make a new freind,but just stop and turn around and I'm gone again."

towels

Reaction score
I always thought the Garfield and Friends show was fairly clever. To me the symbol of the Saturday AM downfall was the Must need Morphine to 'Preciate Rangers. That pushed the Animaniacs out, although they were part of a strong WB lineup for a while (Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim)
That and NBC's decision to use Saved by the Bell clones as "educational" filler.

Thog

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
I know it aired in Canada, I'm just so close in New York i got the TV station.
I also grew up in upstate NY on the border of Canada and watched the Racoons, Mr. Dress Up, The Poka Dot Door, The Edison Twins and all that stuff. It was great. CBC also showed lots of Muppet stuff back then.

Dan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head of that coffin - when Power Rangers etc take the place of something as cleverly written as Animaniacs.

The educational programs you are refering to are ordered by the government (I believe) to have more educational programming on for kids. That's a bunch of bunk in my opinion, but whatever. We still have Spongebob for the time being and he gets the highest ratings on cable tv! Eventhough he's on like 20 times a day. I do like Invader Zim too.

towels

Reaction score
Well, the educational requirement has been around for a long time or at least there used to be a requirement that stations had to offer some sort of public service other than just entertainment. Somehow NBC figured out how to classify those insipid shows as good for the community.
*shrug*
The FCC is so toothless now that it scarcely matters. Community doesn't enter into it since they've basically promoted the multi-market monoliths.
Ah, for the chance to become a millionaire and run my own TV station...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those shows really do bite. I could understand if they were clever, but they're not IMHO. No one I knew when I was a kid would have watched those programs. They have the impact and charm of a public service announcement.:eek:

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
As long as we're slightly off-topic:

30th post -- Yay. I'm a Member.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

danielromens

Reaction score
I've been to busy to post lately but the thought of Brendan Frasier in that movie makes me want to gut myself with a make shift shiv. Personally I think it would be a much better idea if the characters were just fending for themselves rather than supporting the antics of some fading star. Bugs and friends should be the real focus not just the help.

Similarly thats where I think Treasure Island failed. In the old days the Muppets were the stars of the films. Instead it was the same deal. We have some jagball kid with a poor falsetto. Oh well they teamed with the Diz and that's what they came up with. I still liked aspects of the movies, but Jack was just another Anakin Skywalker to me. I with Kevin Smith could have re-edited that one too. Snoogins.