The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Well, I don't think he ever planned for them to merge or anything, I think the character Dirk Gently was removed as the novel wasn't working and then he eventually decided to write another 'final' Hitchhikers. The title was kept as the books dust jackets had already been printed... unfortunately they also said "A Dirk Gently Novel" on them...

Beauregard

Reaction score
But Dirk was in the novel? He went to some place where a rhino had fallen into a swimming pool No?

Oh, btw, in The Salmon of Doubt, there is a muppet reerence!!!

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Well, in the published unfinished version that may well have happened (I haven't read it yet) but it should have eventually become another Hitchhiker book, had Douglas not sadly died before it's completion.

Oh, and what's the Muppet reference?

Beauregard

Reaction score
What!!! Another HHGTTG book...man! Ok, another thouight, who would mind if a different author wrote a further Hitchiker book?

The reference was to a glow-in-the-dark Kermit doll that was in a collection of thing on a rock where the man who could fly lived. not sure what connection it, or the man who could fly, had with anything else in the book since it was never finished.

G-MAN

Reaction score
Sweet, a glow in the dark Kermit doll

Beauregard

Reaction score
Er...yeah...a luminous one no less...not sure what it was doing there though. I may have to get the book out the library again.

G-MAN

Reaction score
Maybe it was there so it could help him not concetrate on falling enough so he could fly.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmmmm...maybe, lol.

Actually, this was in a (I think) Dirk Gently book which had slightly different rules to the Hiker's flying rules. I can't quite remeber. Will have to read it.

G-MAN

Reaction score
Update:
I have finished all 5 books, and I've got to say wow, am I the only person that actually liked Mostly Harmless? I loved the way they finished off the Agrajag subplot, plus it was funny to see Ford's and Arthur's reactions to the things the other has been through.