The "Definitive" Storyteller Collection DVD

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Marky said:
Hey, I saw a clip on youtube - Jim Henson showing a skinless mechanical devil from the Death episode. Kinda neat.
yea that was sort of the piolet to the jim henson hour I told you about but it was called something else back then....innertube I think it was...

Voiceroy

Reaction score
Somehow I knew this collection would eventually get re-released in a single volume. But without any special features, I'm not wasting my money on it since I already own the previous two.

I wish Sony had made the effort to get that TV special from the "Jim Henson Hour" that included a LOT of behind-the-scenes footage and interviews from the "Storyteller" set and production (the one Marky is referring to). I'm glad I taped it, although I can't remember if the tape I have is from the original airing or when it re-aired on the Odyssey Channel. That's something I would very much like to see made available on a DVD release.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You talking about the episode The Secrets of the Muppets?
The intro with Jim showing of one of the devils from The Soldier and Death is from the intro to the Monster Maker hourlong special episode of JHH.
So... This new release will have the five stories from JHH, the ones from the spin-off TV series on HBO, and the four Greek myth stories? Might pick it up, if I remember to do so... Only have the five originals on the cassettes with the 12 JHH episodes. Only missing Innertube, the pilot to complete that section of my video library.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Count said:
This new release will have the five stories from JHH, the ones from the spin-off TV series on HBO, and the four Greek myth stories?
Uh, there was no spin-off series on HBO. In 1997, HBO showed reruns of both series, including the US debut of The Three Ravens (this episode was included in an episode of The Jim Henson Hour that was broadcast in england but not the united states).

I beleive that all nine episodes were produced around the same time, but then the show was broadcast occassionally on TV. The first two epsiodes were broadcast in 1987, the third and fourth episodes were broadcast in 1988, and the rest were included in The Jim Henson Hour. All of these (except for The Three Ravens) were originally broadcast on NBC in the US.

The Storyteller: Greek Myths was broadcast in 1990. I'm not sure if it was broadcast in america during this time or if it wasn't shown in america untill HBO ran the series.

howefitz

Reaction score
Quality

I would like to see the original John Hurt Storyteller re-released as a two-disc set on its own. It seems like the quality suffered because all the episodes had to fit on one disc. Lower resolution, perhaps? I will buy this edition and put it on the shelf next to the one I already own just to show the Jim Henson Co. that they should continue producing quality entertainment like this! No vote counts more than layin' your dollars down!

Mystic Master

Reaction score
I own the first DVD, so I'm not sure I need a second, if there were behind-the-scenes features or some of the other specials that aired, I would certainly pick it up though...

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
you have kids Krazed?

LOL, no, no kids yet. I am the oldest of 6 kids and Im a girl scout leader- so, thats what I ment. I want kids someday, and its better to collect this stuff now so my kids can someday enjoy it :smile:

Lazarus

Reaction score
^_^ I'm so happy! Finally a boxed set! The Storyteller deserves this! :big_grin:

quixotic

Reaction score
Who knows where I can go? and who I can ask? about this being released on region 2?

Here in England you can expect to pay upwards of £30 for just the storyteller collection on rare ebay lots, and they are Dutch usually with non removeable subtitles. I think thats $60 to most people here. That is excluding me even getting started about the Greek Myths collection.

So as you can see I wont pay that for a copy, especially if the money isn't going directly to the Henson people!

I remember watching them on tv in the 90's. They used to be on in the holidays, in the mornings on BBC2 if I'm not mistaken, along with the greek myths,

I'm such an idiot for not recording them!!

Can't hit myself in the head enough for not thinking about it at the time, even though I structured my holidays around watching them!, anyone want to have a go? :wink: I'm such a fool! :cry: I can't tell you how much hope I have set on this! It's like I have every toe, and every finger crossed.

So any clues on who to ask? Help would be appreciated!

quixotic

Reaction score
Anyone? Do people actually post on this forum, or is it full of lurkers? There always seems to be above 20 people looking through each section of the boards, but no one posting here, I find this confusing!

I don't mean to sound harsh, but what sort of forum is that?