The Clarence thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems that in running around a major company, Clarence not only winds up doing a lot of damage, but a yet to have been introduced character finally gets his first onscreen appearance...

Belson's father, the CEO of a major yet unnamed company.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Imagine the reaction to Belson once he finds out that not only is he financially ruined, but that Clarence was the one responsible!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The potential for the episode for all of that to go down is immense. There's always some level of continuity with these side events in this series, and that character's downfall is going to be epic. I also rather like the

Monsters Inc style takedown of Mr. Noles, complete with satirical twist of the old woman being an undercover front for an older woman

Also, the mother of the bratty child from Patience makes another appearance (with a different voice again). Least we know where she works, now.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It was great to see another episode focused on Sumo and his family with Clarence as a side character. I like how Sumo's dad is always defending him whenever his older brother picks on him even though the latter justifies it as "toughening him up".

snichols1973

Reaction score
Jeff is a very conflicting character. He's a goody-two-shoes, but at the same time wants to be accepted by his peers and doesn't want to seem like a killjoy.
Jeff can really turn into an egomaniacal control freak with the occasional ego trip, the most blatant examples so far taking place in "Breehn Ho" when he starts acting like Captain Bligh, and in "The Big Petey Pizza Problem", where his jealousy goes berserk when he attacks Gilben's party for being more appealing in contrast to his own tight-fisted birthday party's declining popularity.....

mr3urious

Reaction score
So the episode "Sneaky Peeky" was intended to air last week, but someone screwed up and aired "Freedom Cactus" instead, so they just premiered it online and aired two new episodes the following day to make up for that mistake. But it will air on TV tomorrow as planned.

It was pretty funny seeing the boys try to fix the hotly-anticipated trailer to the Transformers-esque frog movie using home video footage. You'd think Jeff, as knowledgeable about so many things as he is, would have some kind of knowledge about film projection and learn how to thread the film through the machine properly, but nope! Now he destroyed the trailer and one of his mom's heirlooms.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really like how the fans of the franchise that HATE the movie still wanted to see the trailer, and obviously have seen all the movies anyway.

Though I really think this is one of those artifact plotlines. I'm sure only the chance older audience gets the significance of having to see a crappy movie for a trailer for something when these days it's usually online before the film actually premieres. Sure the heck saw both Lego Batman trailers without having to buy a ticket, but saw it again anyway with the obvious Superman/Batman movie. I do like how they had to buy tickets for the Paul Blart expy, perfectly guessing what the third Blart movie would be about.

That said, got the fourth issue of the 4 part miniseries today cheap. Didn't read it yet, but thumbed through it. There's a perfectly written bit where they're playing hide and seek and Sumo was chiding Clarence for loudly eating a hamburger, giving away their hiding spot with Sumo adding "It's either that hamburger or me." and Clarence sadly tossing away the burger in a trash can saying something to the extent of "Sorry, hamburger. I guess this is your forever home now." Perfectly written to character as usual for Boom.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Loved seeing Sumo trying to seem cool around Chelsea by ditching Clarence and joining her & her friend to skate in an empty pool only for them to mostly do kiddy stuff like kickflips and simple jumps, given their age.
Also loved the reveal at the end that they were in Belson's pool, and he's just sitting in his room playing a skateboarding game instead.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was a very sweet episode and one that should be expected of Clarence, but feels like a delightful surprise. I like how the usual wacky antics were put on hold (no phone pun intended) to see Clarence starting a relationship with a kid he just met over the phone. And I like that Clarence didn't actually invite her to meet him, and even then it was only because the mothers set it up for them. That seems to be a good subtlety as o not promote random meet ups by kids who don't know each other. And Kudos for using a phone instead of a computer. Not so much for the technological obfuscation these shows usually have, but for the fact that he was able to directly talk to someone and confirm they're really a child. Anything else would have been unfortunate.

Even Greg Universe was somehow realizing contacting someone over the internet was a stupid idea.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Clarence sure is quite the mack daddy. How many girls has he befriended so far? :big_grin: