The Clarence thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really love seeing that these episodes don't all have to revolve around Clarence. Sumo would be the kind of kid to take care of a wild animal, especially ones that were that young. He really bonded with Hot Sauce, even though it wasn't mutual.

Also, I forgot to mention "The Interrogation." There's a nice little aside there where Percy picks up a meatball. He has some obsession with play balls, but that's subtext unless you caught the short cartoon about it. Loved seeing how Belson took all the blame just because Mr. Reese doesn't like him. Especially liked how it all turned out to be Jeff frantically trying to clean the car off and Mrs. Shoop actually writing it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like that they made Miss baker and especially Mr. Reese very creatively nurturing to Clarence. Especially since Mr. Reese was Freedom Cactus's biggest fan (leading to a hilarious gag at the end of him being driven to tears). That's the thing I like about the characterization of Baker. They could have made her a sour, Mrs. Hoover from the Simpsons style character that's a constant antagonist to Clarence, but she's upbeat and trying very hard to have the kids like her. And Clarence holds no animosity towards her in turn. He's just hyperactive.

But I really love how Mr. Reese really believed in the strip and even felt like he was betraying Clarence when he reluctantly censored the strip. And all the sudden took it back with that terrible disguise. Between this and "The Interrogation" it seems that Reese is coming around to Clarence. Mrs. Shoop, however, has been given an antagonistic role in 3 episodes, this one especially. She's clearly offended by the fat she's highly flatulent herself. Reminds me about the Simpsons episode where Lisa and Marge find a farting novelty toy that gets loose in an IBS support group.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Never before has a plot about a flatulent cactus comic been so hilarious. I especially loved how Clarence drew that ersatz Garfield strip and a highly detailed Dick Tracy-esque comic when trying to come up with his idea.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I enjoyed how Chad was the focus of this episode yet again, and how Clarence stuck by him throughout during his fear of flight-induced panic attacks. I also loved how Clarence used his barf bag as a puppet to cheer up the crying baby behind him, and how the same baby was delighted to hear his voice over the intercom later on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Clarence says he's going to his grandmother's funeral.

Hmmmmm....

does that mean Phylis died?

And in the next episode, Clarence goes back to the original concept of the series and makes a live video game to cheer up Jeff. Loved hearing Mega Man sound effects pop up. And nice little gag about the princess of the game having a bad male voice.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I really loved the background music they used for "The Lost Playground".

mr3urious

Reaction score
I love the running theme of Clarence being unable to differentiate fantasy from reality and helping out the White Knight at the Renaissance Faire, while his friends go along with it just for fun. It's also nice to see Josh finally get thrown a bone at the very end after being tormented by Clarence for so long.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chad getting food poisoning was a nice little side gag. Of course Clarence would take everything as real. Having the black and white knights mutter things to themselves was a nice touch.

Adding that happy little ending for Josh was a nice touch that kept the episode from ending too dark.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Adding that happy little ending for Josh was a nice touch that kept the episode from ending too dark.
Also helps that Clarence didn't unintentionally hurt Josh as much as he did in past episodes. He got, like, some minor irritation in his remaining eye, and that's about it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While it's not that I didn't have a lot of faith in this episode, I didn't expect this one to make me laugh half as hard as I did. Sure, Clarence thinking he could control time was a pretty funny premise, but breaking the watch and running into the gentrified part of the city thinking it's the future made this episode so much more than it could have been.

I loved how Clarence thought that everyone in the retirement community was his friends in the future, especially the completely different race guy with a rhombus shaped head was Jeff.