The Animal Show

davesdrums

Reaction score
I noticed The Animal Show season two was filmed in the UK on the timeline? Can anyone provide any information on this show?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Hiya,I hope this helps you.

Jim Henson's Animal Show premiered in 1994(to 1997,65 episodes in total). Jim Henson's Animal Show is an educational show primarily aimed at a preschool audience, but it also has something to offer older viewers. Because the show focuses on animals rather than basic concepts like the alphabet, non-preschool viewers can even learn some interesting things by watching it. It's kind of like a PBS nature show in which all the animals talk.Jake and Stinky are extremely engaging and warm hosts. Jake the polar bear (performed by Muppeteer Steve Whitmire) is a sensible father figure, laughing with Stinky and keeping the show moving. He's an incredibly beautiful puppet, with a very big, expressive face and huge black eyes that actually move and blink (thanks to the Henson remote-control technology). Stinky the skunk (Dave Goelz) is the comic member of the team. He gets excited about irrelevant things, asks silly questions, and tries to imitate other animals. The dynamic between the two hosts is a useful educating tool; Stinky will often get a funny wrong idea about something, which Jake will have to explain. :zany:

Klonoa

Reaction score
I loved The Animal Show. What JaniceFerSure posted about Stinky getting the wrong idea about something and Jake having to explain it is so true. I remember one time Stinky and Jake were watching an animal video and Stinky said, "Hey that one animal is giving the other a piggyback ride." and Jake said, "No, they're mating."

I have a question about The Animal Show. I always really liked the animal puppets they used on that show. Especially the Wildebeest puppet. One of my favorite Muppets is Joe the Armadillo from Kermit's Swamp Years (that's the only good part about Swamp Years, really). I couldn't imagine them making such a nice armadillo puppet just for Swamp Years, so I was wondering if there was an episode of The Animal Show where they talked about armadillos, and if Joe the Armadillo, or that same armadillo puppet under a different name, was on the show and they just reused it for the DVD documentary on Swamp Years? Anyone know? Anyone care?

--Klonoa
The Wildebeest puppet sounded like Joel from MST3K.

Xerus

Reaction score
Klonoa said:
I loved The Animal Show. What JaniceFerSure posted about Stinky getting the wrong idea about something and Jake having to explain it is so true. I remember one time Stinky and Jake were watching an animal video and Stinky said, "Hey that one animal is giving the other a piggyback ride." and Jake said, "No, they're mating."

I have a question about The Animal Show. I always really liked the animal puppets they used on that show. Especially the Wildebeest puppet. One of my favorite Muppets is Joe the Armadillo from Kermit's Swamp Years (that's the only good part about Swamp Years, really). I couldn't imagine them making such a nice armadillo puppet just for Swamp Years, so I was wondering if there was an episode of The Animal Show where they talked about armadillos, and if Joe the Armadillo, or that same armadillo puppet under a different name, was on the show and they just reused it for the DVD documentary on Swamp Years? Anyone know? Anyone care?

--Klonoa
The Wildebeest puppet sounded like Joel from MST3K.
Yes, I think the Animal Show is a very neat and creative series from the Henson company. It was fun watching the openning and wondering what kind of animals would be featured. But I kind of got dissapointed when they started bringing back animals they already interviewed. Like another Wart Hog and Baboon show when they alread did a Wart Hog and Walrus show and a Wolf and Baboon show. But it was still fun to watch.

And to answer your question. Yes, that same armadillo muppet was on the Animal Show. Only he was called Dooley and he had a voice that sounded like Arnold Horseshack. And he sang a song called, Armadillo Day, where a small town was having a festival to celebrate armadillos. That was neat.

Klonoa

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for answering my question. Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Joe. Aw.

--Klonoa
Have an armadilly day!

Xerus

Reaction score
Klonoa said:
Cool! Thanks for answering my question. Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Joe. Aw.

--Klonoa
Have an armadilly day!
Thanks Klonoa and your welcome. :smile: I too wonder if we'll ever see Joe again too.

I've also seen some of those Animal Show made animals appear on Muppets Tonight and on Sesame Street.

Happy Armadilly day to you too! :smile:

Xerus

Xerus

Reaction score
Klonoa said:
Xerus, have you seen this?

www.joethearmadillo.com

--Klonoa
Do you think the peacock on the 35th Sesame Street special was first on The Animal Show?
That Joe site looked pretty interesting, even though all the links were still under construction. But I'll probably check back in a few days though. :smile:

And I don't think they ever had a peacock on The Animal Show at all. There were quite a few animals they left out on that series I think they should've had. Like the panda, platypus, bush baby, ladybug, locust, and termite.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Xerus said:
That Joe site looked pretty interesting, even though all the links were still under construction. But I'll probably check back in a few days though. :smile:
Don't bother. It's always under construction. It' been that way since 2002.

Klonoa

Reaction score
It's supposed to be always under construction. That's just the way Joe is! He's awesome.

Did they ever do frogs on The Animal Show? I think there might have been a frog puppet around that they could've used for that. Maybe. :smile:

--Klonoa