THAT'S how it ends?!?! REALLY?!?!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Waste of time's not the word. Waste of time I can handle. Most of the episodes this season were wastes of time of a Dragon Ball Z filler episode level (almost makes me want How I Met Your Mother Kai). They built something up to purposely tear it down. That's more trolling than wasting time.

Eh, but the creators are at least kind of apologetic to everyone that hated the ending. But they're TRYING to get How I Met Your Dad on TV. Now, either it's about the dead woman meeting Ted (so you know how it ends) or another bunch of expies in a mission pack sequel. While I do not think these guys are Satan for their ending, I just don't get why they'd want to just VR Troopers/Jabberjaw themselves and make a self imposed ripoff of themselves. How about another kind of TV series? No one's going to want to get involved in a similar series, especially if they're only going to look forward to a screw you ending.
HIMYD can't be the mother meeting ted, because the mother's dead. Either way it probably wouldn't make it through one season.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's real annoying how such popular TV shows end. I watched the HIMYM season finale waiting for them to show me the freaking mother, and guess what she lasted about a half-hour! I don't understand why a show called how i met your mother has the mother only in the very last part of the very last episode! And the show's all about robin apparently! Well it wasn't half as bad as the Seinfeld finale as muppet fan said "shudder".

The more I revisit the Seinfeld finale, the more I realize how apt and fitting it was.

I mean, it was a show about borderline sociopaths that rarely got comeuppance, for one. They finally had to deal with the repercussions of their actions, essentially. And they brought back almost every single past one shot character, too. They put a lot of care into that one, but I wish they kept the original ending. There, they would have met up at the diner a year later, and would have been all screwed up by their prison stay. Much better than the exact ending they had.

HIMYM was far worse. I could deal with a disappointing ending (Raising Hope had one), but not an ending that erases all the character development and heartwarming moments from the past several seasons. The Seinfeld ending may have been a disappointment or lousy or something, but at least they didn't take a flame thrower to their own show.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The more I revisit the Seinfeld finale, the more I realize how apt and fitting it was.

I mean, it was a show about borderline sociopaths that rarely got comeuppance, for one. They finally had to deal with the repercussions of their actions, essentially. And they brought back almost every single past one shot character, too. They put a lot of care into that one, but I wish they kept the original ending. There, they would have met up at the diner a year later, and would have been all screwed up by their prison stay. Much better than the exact ending they had.

HIMYM was far worse. I could deal with a disappointing ending (Raising Hope had one), but not an ending that erases all the character development and heartwarming moments from the past several seasons. The Seinfeld ending may have been a disappointment or lousy or something, but at least they didn't take a flame thrower to their own show.
I see your point, and I guess people are way too hard on the Seinfeld ending, but HIMYM wasn't all that terrible, even if they completely destroyed the wedding, and Barney became all wise and stuff, I mean I stopped watching s9 that Monday when VMX aired, but continued watching during around February, so I wasn't too disappointed. Can't wait for BBT finale, hope they don't kill off everyone when Howard creates an atomic bomb. At the end of the day, series finales will never be what you want.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Didn't like the HIMYM ending and in fact it has made it hard to watch the reruns in syndication. An ending I did like was Scrubs. I loved the ending to scrubs (even though they came back for another year). It was mostly about how endings don't measure up to our expectations...then the last 6 minutes hit you emotionally hard...and even give us a glimpse of the future characters but in a much more positive light than HIMYM. Besides they did a Sesame Street episode.
If the muppets ever have a TV show and it lasts long enough for a series finale, it'd be cool if it was about how all series finales suck.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think the one show today that has done the best with "finales" hasn't even gone off the air yet in Parks and Recreation. Leslie and Ben's wedding episode from season five could have made a perfect finale (and was originally scripted as one), and with a few tweaks here and there, this season's finale could have tied up the series excellently. Granted, they've had to do this because NBC continually drags their feet about deciding if they want to bring the series back every year, but they've proven they can tie storylines up in a natural manner.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I think the one show today that has done the best with "finales" hasn't even gone off the air yet in Parks and Recreation. Leslie and Ben's wedding episode from season five could have made a perfect finale (and was originally scripted as one), and with a few tweaks here and there, this season's finale could have tied up the series excellently. Granted, they've had to do this because NBC continually drags their feet about deciding if they want to bring the series back every year, but they've proven they can tie storylines up in a natural manner.

Last Thursday's episode felt like a "series" finale. I wonder what direction they'll be taking now.
In terms of comedy finales, Community is also doing a great job (for the fans at least), and not knowing if the show will be renewed next season, they always have to write it as if it were a series finale.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, the series fauxnalie. NBC really doesn't know what its doing, but you have to give them credit for keeping Community and Parks and Rec around this season due to their cult status alone. They're the only comedies NBC considers successful (man, am I disappointed about Michel J Fox, but glad Sean saves the World died off quick). I'm sure both may get renewed (what else do they have?)... I wish they'd just rerun both over the summer instead of crappy reality replacement shows. I missed most of the Communities. Loved the G.I. Joe one.

I'm pretty depressed over The Neighbors. They had to go the series Fauxnalie finale route because ABC didn't want to renew anything until the last minute. At least they were well aware that their fate was both undecided and in jeopardy. Seriously, that HORRIBLE Tim Allen show was an atrocious lead in.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Ah, the series fauxnalie. NBC really doesn't know what its doing, but you have to give them credit for keeping Community and Parks and Rec around this season due to their cult status alone. They're the only comedies NBC considers successful (man, am I disappointed about Michel J Fox, but glad Sean saves the World died off quick). I'm sure both may get renewed (what else do they have?)... I wish they'd just rerun both over the summer instead of crappy reality replacement shows. I missed most of the Communities. Loved the G.I. Joe one.
Parks has officially been renewed for next year (which is likely to be its final season no matter what NBC wants), and Community is still on the bubble, though I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a half-season order to take the place of whichever new sitcom of theirs inevitably fails. They have such a bad track record with sitcoms it's embarrassing (Whitney Cummings, Sean Hayes, the show with Vanessa from The Cosby Show, the show with Mike O'Malley, not to mention Dane Cook's show that was so bad they COULDN'T AIR IT).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
They're the only comedies NBC considers successful (man, am I disappointed about Michel J Fox, but glad Sean saves the World died off quick).

I didn't realize The Michael J. Fox Show was (or was getting) canceled. I only watched it two or three times (so it's my fault?), but thought that would be a success, and thought it'd be cool for Michael J. Fox to be among the few to star in three successful sitcoms (okay, so he was really a supporting character on Family Ties...).

I wonder if The Crazy Ones has been canceled as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Parks has officially been renewed for next year (which is likely to be its final season no matter what NBC wants), and Community is still on the bubble, though I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a half-season order to take the place of whichever new sitcom of theirs inevitably fails. They have such a bad track record with sitcoms it's embarrassing (Whitney Cummings, Sean Hayes, the show with Vanessa from The Cosby Show, the show with Mike O'Malley, not to mention Dane Cook's show that was so bad they COULDN'T AIR IT).
Dane Cook shouldn't even have a career. 90% of my hated of Planes comes from the fact he starred in it. Not even the fact Disney shoves it in your face, even though it's not nearly as successful as Cars was. Just his unfunny terrible presence ruins the film. The fact they even gave him a sitcom... really?!

Then again, NBC had some good stuff they screwed with. I really liked Outsourced, but it got shoved in a terrible 10 PM time slot no thanks to Leno's crappy 10 PM show. I fail to see why Two and a Half Men did better than Michael J Fox. It's unwatchable now. Even from someone who liked it before.

Meanwhile, I also hate that Fox just junked Raising Hope so Dads could get a prime sweet spot on Tuesdays just so they could cancel Dads anyway, because no one actually liked it. Can't say I can't blame them. it was just bland. Every joke fell flat.

I wonder if The Crazy Ones has been canceled as well.
They better not. I blame CBS shuffling its uncancellable darling with the sagging ratings to the earlier spot, giving Crazy Ones a terrible lead in. It had a nice spot after The Millers (which is awesome) and they ruined it to save a show that should have been cancelled like 4 or 5 years ago.