Ted Sequel Announced, Wahlberg CoHosting 2013 Oscars with Seth Mcfarlane

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't dig the trend of these new super serious dark fairy tale projects. Once Upon a Time seems to be the only successful one. I have to admit, this is just as bad as the goofy parody fairy tale trend started by Shrek.

Wasn't Glee created to be the antithesis of the saccharine, Saved by the Bell-esque cartoony portrait of High Schoolers anyway? That's what it seems to me. A angsty swipe at HSM with outcasts and jocks being jerks instead of singing during basketball games. Still, I watched like 2 and it didn't hold my interest. I was pretty disappointed by the Rocky Horror episode. And I like Jane Lynch... just not so much on that show. I actually thought she was funnier on 2.5 Men. She certainly made that show funnier.

As for Nashville... I don't see the connection to Glee. It's all about inside industry stuff and backstabbing and eh... I'd liken it more to Dreamgirls, if anything. Smash seems like it came out of, if not inspired by, Burlesque. Glee and HSM at least have a "they take place in High School" link.

But going back to Family Guy... the show has vastly improved the last couple of seasons, but there's something special when it was one of those products of the 1999 primetime animation boom. Anyone remember that? We had all these weird adult cartoon shows and most of them went no where. I find Dilbert to be the sadly underrated treasure of the group. I never cared much for that comic until the cartoon. But Family Guy and Futurama were the only ones that walked out of that. And they weren't canceled as quickly either. I'm far more the Futurama fan than most of the prime time cartoons out there.

But Family Guy really was something special when it started out. There's so much stuff in the classic episodes I miss. Like the fact they were humane to Meg. Remember there was an episode where Lois wanted to get revenge on a bunch of Queen Bee girls because they picked on Meg? Or Peter being at least a little competent and not turning into a manchild? And my personal favorite, how the pop culture characters co-existed with them without cutaway scenes and they were drawn in FG style. And the one thing that bugs me... how come they keep merchandising evil Stewie shirts and hats when he hasn't been evil since like 5th season?
You hit the nail on the head. Glee's more of a reaction to the HSM cool kids than anything else. It's also sort of a better-written musical version of Ryan Murphy's Popular. I didn't care for that show, but there are definite roots to Glee. I'm still amazed this is the guy who also created American Horror Story. I guess Murphy likes pulp no matter what the genre.

One reason McFarlane's shows stay on the air because is due to their many lucrative merchandise opportunities and merch sells best when a property is active. McFarlane has expressed interest in ending Family Guy and making a movie. The Cleveland Show is probably on its last leg. American Dad will likely follow. I really think he wants to expand as an artist and he's at the pinnacle of his career. I predict he'll be trying a lot of new things. It will be interesting to see if he can transcend the Family Guy.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Could Everybody PLEASE STOP Talking About Sitcoms And Start Imaginating What The Sequel Will Be Like, And It's Just Really Annoying, Anyways, What I'm Trying To Say Is EVERYBODY GO BACK ON TOPIC

Drtooth

Reaction score
One reason McFarlane's shows stay on the air because is due to their many lucrative merchandise opportunities and merch sells best when a property is active. McFarlane has expressed interest in ending Family Guy and making a movie. The Cleveland Show is probably on its last leg. American Dad will likely follow. I really think he wants to expand as an artist and he's at the pinnacle of his career. I predict he'll be trying a lot of new things. It will be interesting to see if he can transcend the Family Guy.
FG's the only thing they merchandise. There was some AD stuff just before the show came out, a set of bendy figures, a couple shirts and buttons... that was about it. The show's been on 8 seasons, and getting a 9th, and there hasn't been so much as a plush Klaus or Roger. I'm actually amazed (but thrilled) they keep renewing it, since it's the red headed stepchild of the Seth McFarline shows

Fox really wants to give Cleveland the shaft. It's like it served its purpose in 2 seasons, and after hyping the heck out of it, they just don't care anymore. Then again, they had 7 primetime cartoons they had to breeze through in 2 seasons. Napoleon Dynamite was a good series, but way too late to be relevant and in the wrong venue. it would have worked on cable. Allen Gregory was a massive waste of effort and money, giving a show full of nasty, unlikable characters dealing with even nastier even less likable characters. And I'm glad Bob's Burgers stuck. I'm a big fan of the series, but it really has a cable feel to it.

Seth seems almost desperate to get his Flintstones show out there. It's a fanboy dream project for him, and I really want to see how he can balance style and source. Fox is holding him back with FG, and there were special allowances that had to be made to even let him work on Ted (I forget what the conditions were). I'd love to see him move on from cartoons period and go for more theatrical projects. Same with Brad Bird, if his 19whatever film is a success. It's a shame Genndy never got his live action Astroboy, though.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
FG's the only thing they merchandise. There was some AD stuff just before the show came out, a set of bendy figures, a couple shirts and buttons... that was about it. The show's been on 8 seasons, and getting a 9th, and there hasn't been so much as a plush Klaus or Roger. I'm actually amazed (but thrilled) they keep renewing it, since it's the red headed stepchild of the Seth McFarline shows

Fox really wants to give Cleveland the shaft. It's like it served its purpose in 2 seasons, and after hyping the heck out of it, they just don't care anymore. Then again, they had 7 primetime cartoons they had to breeze through in 2 seasons. Napoleon Dynamite was a good series, but way too late to be relevant and in the wrong venue. it would have worked on cable. Allen Gregory was a massive waste of effort and money, giving a show full of nasty, unlikable characters dealing with even nastier even less likable characters. And I'm glad Bob's Burgers stuck. I'm a big fan of the series, but it really has a cable feel to it.

Seth seems almost desperate to get his Flintstones show out there. It's a fanboy dream project for him, and I really want to see how he can balance style and source. Fox is holding him back with FG, and there were special allowances that had to be made to even let him work on Ted (I forget what the conditions were). I'd love to see him move on from cartoons period and go for more theatrical projects. Same with Brad Bird, if his 19whatever film is a success. It's a shame Genndy never got his live action Astroboy, though.
I heard his Flintstones was either pushed back or canceled.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Could Everybody PLEASE STOP Talking About Sitcoms And Start Imaginating What The Sequel Will Be Like, And It's Just Really Annoying, Anyways, What I'm Trying To Say Is EVERYBODY GO BACK ON TOPIC
Actually, in a way, the chatter about Family Guy IS on topic considering that is the reason that Seth MacFarlane got famous enough to MAKE Ted. This thread would have actually died a long time ago without discussion of the show that made him famous and the subsequent discussion on the differences of Glee and other musical shows. The only reason this thread would have died is because nobody really knows ANYTHING about a sequel to the movie Ted. It's still up in the air on whether the cast actually wants to DO another movie, and whether even SETH wants to do it. This is all just speculation on what the movie studio wants to do and that could change at ANYTIME!
Sorry if I sound mean or angry at this statement, I am not trying to be. I'm just trying to say that this discussion on Seth and his shows have SOMETHING to do with the movie that he has created.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, re: Hosting the Oscars... there's gotta be some funny reaction on Seth's part as the Simpsons actually have an Oscar Nod for "The Longest Daycare." I guess being before Ice Age 4 made The Simpsons look Oscar worthy. But it was a great short. I'm glad I saw Ice Age 4 for that reason... and Sid's Grandmother.

I heard his Flintstones was either pushed back or canceled.

I'm hoping for pushed back and still happening. The Flintstones really needs a good reboot since... well... most attempts to bring it back have been... well... fuzzy. The Pebbles and Bamm Bamm teenager era kinda sucked (though they were the BEST Captain Caveman cartoons), The Flintstones Kids was alright I guess, but completely juvenile... and Cave Kids rightly got the boot for being saccharine. There were some pretty good TV specials, but nothing permanent. A Couple weird live action films and then nothing else. Kids probably only know The Flintstones through the breakfast cereal. Though, to be honest... the cartoon that really needs a more adult reboot closer to the original version of the series, it's The Jetsons. An adult friendly Jetsons kids can still watch without Orbity in the cast.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
About being On-Topic...

It's best to actually offer something that guides a conversation back to the topic rather than idle griping.
____​
Something like:
I wonder if they'll introduce another talking character or keep it strictly about Ted.
or
I wonder if the plot will be about Ted's acceptance of his best friend's new baby.
___​
But just coming in like Nurse Ratched and telling everybody to pipe-down isn't the best way to go about things. Just sayin'. Helpful Hint!

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're starting to release commercials for Seth's Oscar hosting duties....

In the style of Family Guy cutscenes, of course.