Steve Whitmire's Ernie in recent years

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I recall a few major street scenes with Ernie during the 1998-1999 season, most notably in an episode where Irvine wanted to take a bath but oscar didn't want her to. Ernie came to oscars can to give Irvine a dirty bathtowel and a rubber yuckie (I forget what it looked like, but it made a disturbing noise when it was squeaked). Ernie also appeard on the street in the episode where Slimey finally landed on the moon, from the 1997-1998 season. I know bert was there too, but I can't remember if bert spoke.

It's possible that since Disney wants to do so much with the muppets now that Steve Whitmire is too busy performing Kermit and other muppet characters. I have read that Sesame Workshop recently held some auditions, and I think Sesame Workshop was looking for performers to play Ernie, Bert, and Grover.
Yeah, It would also would appear the Eric Jacobson would be also be pretty busy with Miss Piggy duties and all.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I thought it was always like that. But one thing I AM noticing lately is that it seems like Ernie's being used more and more, while poor ol' buddy Bert is basically slowly dying away.
I wouldn't say completely.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
When Disney bought the muppets, it never occured to me that SW would be loosing some of their key employees (like Steve Whitmire). If Steve went with Disney in order to do Kermit, does anyone know what (if any) other key roll players SW may have lost with this deal? Just wondering...... :concern:
As I mention in an eailry posted, Eric Jacobson.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Well, they haven't exactly "lost" Steve Whitmire. He still works for Sesame Street doing Ernie. We just don't see Ernie as much as we'd like. Steve Whitmire only joined Sesame Street to take over Jim's two key characters, Kermit and Ernie. His first priority is still with the Muppet Company.

I think Eric Jacobson was picked from Sesame Street to move over to Jim Henson Company/Muppet Holding Company. Since he took over Bert and Grover from Frank Oz, the Muppet folks thought he would be great doing Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, etc. over with Muppet projects too. So he is sort of juggling both.

Seems like Sesame gained back a little more Jerry Nelson since he retired from his other Muppet duties.

Carroll Spinney, Martin P. Robinson and Fran Brill only work on Sesame Street.

Kevin Clash is mainly on Sesame Street even though he performs Clifford sometimes on the Muppet projects.

David Rudman occassionally does Muppet projects because that is where he first started, but is mainly on Sesame Street.

Carmen Osbahr and Joey Mazzarino are regularly on Sesame.

Hope this helps out at all.
I herd that Kevin was having a little sceduling conflict with S.S. I'm not sure If this was true, but I could see this seeing as how he is a primary muppetear for the Jim Henson Company, and how most of his chacaters in muppet productions have been dubed in post production (most notibly, he has been doing sam the eagle fot the most part). It seems that he has been busier then ever on the street, sense he used to be the muppet coordinator and that he is the muppet captin, a positision givin to him by Jim Henson himself(Bill Brella the regular muppets one), and being the Exec Producer of Elmo's World, not to mention the airtime Elmo recives on the show on a daily bases. But I'm sure he he enjoys every minute of it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yeah and I don't really like Tartiliga at all performing Ernie on that show. Don't get me wrong, he is a great puppeteer and performer (Hey, a Tony Award!) but when I hear his voice as Ernie, it sounds all weird.
I've never herd him as Ernie before.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If Ernie needs a new performer, I think David Rudman could perform him. Rudman performed Peter Cratchet in The Muppet Christmas Carol, and I think peter sounded like Steve Whitmires kermit.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I made a post over a year ago about maybe David could make a good Kermit if Steve could no longer do him, before I found out that they're about the same age. Anyway, have you all seen the new PBS Kids Go spot where Ernie's doing a rap, while the papa lion from Between the Lions (I'm sorry I forgot his name, I hardly watch that show), Emily Elizabeth (Clifford), and Oscar were the judges.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Yeah, I made a post over a year ago about maybe David could make a good Kermit if Steve could no longer do him, before I found out that they're about the same age. Anyway, have you all seen the new PBS Kids Go spot where Ernie's doing a rap, while the papa lion from Between the Lions (I'm sorry I forgot his name, I hardly watch that show), Emily Elizabeth (Clifford), and Oscar were the judges.
I've gotta see this.:stick_out_tongue:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
If Ernie needs a new performer, I think David Rudman could perform him. Rudman performed Peter Cratchet in The Muppet Christmas Carol, and I think peter sounded like Steve Whitmires kermit.
That might be good, but what about John Tartiagiola? Considering he voiced Ernie on the second season of "Play With Me Sesame?" I think he could give "Sesame Street" Ernie a try. After all, doesn't he already voice other random SS Muppets?

Then again, I never heard John's Ernie, so I don't know how good he really is.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
That might be good, but what about John Tartiagiola? Considering he voiced Ernie on the second season of "Play With Me Sesame?" I think he could give "Sesame Street" Ernie a try. After all, doesn't he already voice other random SS Muppets?

Then again, I never heard John's Ernie, so I don't know how good he really is.
It sounds kinda out of place. And the way he performs the puppet is weird. When I see Ernie on Play With Me, he scares me a little. I am not even kidding.