Steve Whitmire's Ernie in recent years

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Have any of the rest of you noticed this? In the 2000, 2001, and 2002 Season, it seemed like they had brought Ernie back from being a Hermit after a 20 year stretch, and he was no longer only seen in his apartment. A lot of new stories focused on Ernie. Which was great to see a classic charachter from the show's beggining days back once again in a starring role. In 2003 he was only in one episode with his old Buddy Bert. This one rocked because they used the apartment as part of the main storyline. Something they had never done before, and I always wished they would have done years ago. Now we don't see Ernie in a starring role anymore. He's back to simply Journey to Ernie, and an off the street rerun Ernie skit that airs every day. What happened? things were going great for the guy and really turning around. Is Steve Whitmire too busy now to work on the set on a regular basis?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recall a few major street scenes with Ernie during the 1998-1999 season, most notably in an episode where Irvine wanted to take a bath but oscar didn't want her to. Ernie came to oscars can to give Irvine a dirty bathtowel and a rubber yuckie (I forget what it looked like, but it made a disturbing noise when it was squeaked). Ernie also appeard on the street in the episode where Slimey finally landed on the moon, from the 1997-1998 season. I know bert was there too, but I can't remember if bert spoke.

It's possible that since Disney wants to do so much with the muppets now that Steve Whitmire is too busy performing Kermit and other muppet characters. I have read that Sesame Workshop recently held some auditions, and I think Sesame Workshop was looking for performers to play Ernie, Bert, and Grover.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ernie is still in some new sketches once in a while. I know that he does the show and tell segments where he talks to kids.
Well...atleast Ernie is still starring in Play with Me Sesame.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought it was always like that. But one thing I AM noticing lately is that it seems like Ernie's being used more and more, while poor ol' buddy Bert is basically slowly dying away.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I never realized this before......

When Disney bought the muppets, it never occured to me that SW would be loosing some of their key employees (like Steve Whitmire). If Steve went with Disney in order to do Kermit, does anyone know what (if any) other key roll players SW may have lost with this deal? Just wondering...... :concern:

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
When Disney bought the muppets, it never occured to me that SW would be loosing some of their key employees (like Steve Whitmire). If Steve went with Disney in order to do Kermit, does anyone know what (if any) other key roll players SW may have lost with this deal? Just wondering...... :concern:

Well, they haven't exactly "lost" Steve Whitmire. He still works for Sesame Street doing Ernie. We just don't see Ernie as much as we'd like. Steve Whitmire only joined Sesame Street to take over Jim's two key characters, Kermit and Ernie. His first priority is still with the Muppet Company.

I think Eric Jacobson was picked from Sesame Street to move over to Jim Henson Company/Muppet Holding Company. Since he took over Bert and Grover from Frank Oz, the Muppet folks thought he would be great doing Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, etc. over with Muppet projects too. So he is sort of juggling both.

Seems like Sesame gained back a little more Jerry Nelson since he retired from his other Muppet duties.

Carroll Spinney, Martin P. Robinson and Fran Brill only work on Sesame Street.

Kevin Clash is mainly on Sesame Street even though he performs Clifford sometimes on the Muppet projects.

David Rudman occassionally does Muppet projects because that is where he first started, but is mainly on Sesame Street.

Carmen Osbahr and Joey Mazzarino are regularly on Sesame.

Hope this helps out at all.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Thanks , Bear!

BEAR said:
Well, they haven't exactly "lost" Steve Whitmire. He still works for Sesame Street doing Ernie. We just don't see Ernie as much as we'd like. Steve Whitmire only joined Sesame Street to take over Jim's two key characters, Kermit and Ernie. His first priority is still with the Muppet Company.

I think Eric Jacobson was picked from Sesame Street to move over to Jim Henson Company/Muppet Holding Company. Since he took over Bert and Grover from Frank Oz, the Muppet folks thought he would be great doing Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, etc. over with Muppet projects too. So he is sort of juggling both.

Seems like Sesame gained back a little more Jerry Nelson since he retired from his other Muppet duties.

Carroll Spinney, Martin P. Robinson and Fran Brill only work on Sesame Street.

Kevin Clash is mainly on Sesame Street even though he performs Clifford sometimes on the Muppet projects.

David Rudman occassionally does Muppet projects because that is where he first started, but is mainly on Sesame Street.

Carmen Osbahr and Joey Mazzarino are regularly on Sesame.

Hope this helps out at all.
Thanks for the info. I know most of these names, but there are some I was not aware of untill now.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I think Steve really is sticking more to Disney these days. He's Obviously back to only performing Ernie in inserted off the street clips, as you can tell in recent years. Also since 2003 he longer performs Ernie on Play with me Sesame Street. Some guy named John Tartiliga does. 2003 was also the same year he stopped performing Ernie in main SS storylines. With the exception of the Bert's Birthday episode.:stick_out_tongue:

BEAR

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I think Steve really is sticking more to Disney these days. He's Obviously back to only performing Ernie in inserted off the street clips, as you can tell in recent years. Also since 2003 he longer performs Ernie on Play with me Sesame Street. Some guy named John Tartiliga does. 2003 was also the same year he stopped performing Ernie in main SS storylines. With the exception of the Bert's Birthday episode.:stick_out_tongue:
Yeah and I don't really like Tartiliga at all performing Ernie on that show. Don't get me wrong, he is a great puppeteer and performer (Hey, a Tony Award!) but when I hear his voice as Ernie, it sounds all weird.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Have any of the rest of you noticed this? In the 2000, 2001, and 2002 Season, it seemed like they had brought Ernie back from being a Hermit after a 20 year stretch, and he was no longer only seen in his apartment. A lot of new stories focused on Ernie. Which was great to see a classic charachter from the show's beggining days back once again in a starring role. In 2003 he was only in one episode with his old Buddy Bert. This one rocked because they used the apartment as part of the main storyline. Something they had never done before, and I always wished they would have done years ago. Now we don't see Ernie in a starring role anymore. He's back to simply Journey to Ernie, and an off the street rerun Ernie skit that airs every day. What happened? things were going great for the guy and really turning around. Is Steve Whitmire too busy now to work on the set on a regular basis?
I think the filming season for the main story lines and the skits are different, and right now it would apear that Steve Whitmire would be very busy at the moment.