Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

Alvin

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered already...but what happened to the scene where they were in jail and piggy saw the guy from TMC, I heard there were gonna be alot of references to the older muppet movies...it would be good to tie them in somehow...to a newer one.

terrimonster

Reaction score
I'd like to see the Muppeteer Muppets make small cameos in the background.
That would be nice. I'd also like to see some Steve, Dave, Bill, Eric, Matt or David muppeteer Muppets. This movie was a great way to revitalize and acknowledge the past; now they have an opportunity to move forward with some great performers who deserve some more original characters. I think Muppets based on them would be a great nod to them.

So going with how Henson approached the first sequel in Great Mupept Caper maybe we need a gengre for the Muppets to come into (there they did a caper/heist film) so what would be an interesting genre for the Muppets to get into?
I seem to remember Dave Goelz saying he didn't like that aspect of GMC, but I thought it was pure genius. Start out the movie with Kermit saying, "In this movie, we're playing..." and you can go anywhere from there. But I agree with the sentiment that it shouldn't be a period piece. GMC was a nod to the caper movies of the past, but took place in the [then] present. There are lots of genres to be explored - disaster films, buddy/cop comedies, rom-coms, supernatural thrillers, etc. As long as they go for a style tribute and not a straight parody there are lots of ways for this to go.

I'd love to see them make an Electric Mayhem Mockumentary sometime -- even if its just a tv-special rather than a movie.
That would make for an awesome TV special. I can see them backstage running into a lost Spinal Tap.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there was to be yet another "classic retelling/period piece", count me out. I sat through MCC, MTI, Oz. A western? Maybe if its simply a scene of them filming a Western. Muppet films should always be set in the time they are being filmed.
I wouldn't mind a Muppet Western if done properly... the Muppets had a LONG history of Westerns, going all the way back to the Sam and Friends Powder Burn segment. But then again, the main thesis of this movie was that it wasn't a gimmick driven film... but then, we're seeing a lot of westerns these days. Of course, this is all a speculative theory of one member.

But other than that, let's say Jason and the rest didn't helm this movie, they went in house, and they did another classic retelling... I don't think anyone here would have been a quarter as excited about the film, if at all. MCC and MTI were at least well done, good looking films in their own right, and we have to thank Jerry Juhl's writing for making those as good as they were considering... but if we did get a retelling, we'd wind up with another WOZ-like film, featuring an overdone story that wouldn't be advisable, with the Muppets playing third and fourth to human roles. It would have a million times the ADHD that this film's poor choices in editing would have, it would do meh... and we'd wind up with another film just like it.

beaker

Reaction score
The Muppets work best juxtaposed to real people and/or the real world. The absurdity is where the funny is. Their reactions and commentaries are priceless. Charles Grodin is the perfect example of good casting to balance the Muppets' craziness. It would be fantastic if they hired him as the villain for the next film even though it isn't very likely.
I'm just so glad they brought him back as the main villain for the MWDW special. After decades of Henson consumption I still feel that special is one of the top 5 Muppet things I've seen. Bringing him back in some capacity would be perfect

beaker

Reaction score
It would have a million times the ADHD that this film's poor choices in editing would have, it would do meh... and we'd wind up with another film just like it.
Had THIS been what the new Muppet movie was, *or* more importantly what the next one could be...tell me you wouldn't be giddy as could be? :smile:

That is 100% what I envision a modern Muppet film to be, not ABC family movie sparkle and gloss.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Had THIS been what the new Muppet movie was, *or* more importantly what the next one could be...tell me you wouldn't be giddy as could be? :smile:

That is 100% what I envision a modern Muppet film to be, not ABC family movie sparkle and gloss.
I agree. It would have been great if more of the movie had been like that clip. I kind of look at "The Muppets" as the gang's reboot. It was their "Batman Begins" if you will. Lots had to be reestablished for a new generation while still respecting the history that came before. While the film was very good, the next one could be a real unexpected gem.

I have my list of improvements that could have been made in "The Muppets," but it's one of those rare films that kind of accomplished the impossible task of pleasing nearly everybody. I'm glad none of our fan hands tinkered with this magical formula. The flip side of it is that some elements become watered-down. Some people are turned-off when strong creative choices are made, but I hope they make more of them in the next film. A clearer vision.

One question is whatever happened to the network pitch pilot that reunited all the characters in a similar way? Remember, the one that included Sam as an airport screener? That would make a great home video extra somewhere down the line.

Borples

Reaction score
That would be nice. I'd also like to see some Steve, Dave, Bill, Eric, Matt or David muppeteer Muppets. This movie was a great way to revitalize and acknowledge the past; now they have an opportunity to move forward with some great performers who deserve some more original characters. I think Muppets based on them would be a great nod to them.
Heh heh. I just had a mental image of a camera panning down the street, and passing by a group of these six Muppets singing on a corner or something. I suppose they'd never build the puppets just for that, and no one would even get it other than hardcore fans. But it would be beautiful. :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
I agree. It would have been great if more of the movie had been like that clip. I kind of look at "The Muppets" as the gang's reboot. It was their "Batman Begins" if you will. Lots had to be reestablished for a new generation while still respecting the history that came before. While the film was very good, the next one could be a real unexpected gem.

I have my list of improvements that could have been made in "The Muppets," but it's one of those rare films that kind of accomplished the impossible task of pleasing nearly everybody. I'm glad none of our fan hands tinkered with this magical formula. The flip side of it is that some elements become watered-down. Some people are turned-off when strong creative choices are made, but I hope they make more of them in the next film. A clearer vision.

One question is whatever happened to the network pitch pilot that reunited all the characters in a similar way? Remember, the one that included Sam as an airport screener? That would make a great home video extra somewhere down the line.
Well it brought the gang to the absolute forefront of the public mind, even if not every college/adult person who remembers the muppets turned out. And it got a pretty much perfect rating with all professional critics which is weird.

It's funny you brought up Batman Begins, as I find it a little dull. But Dark Knight I've probably seen nearly a dozen times. I just strongly feel that there is a brilliant magic when the muppets are treated like people in the real world. The world of "The Muppets 2011" is very much fantasy. Even with GMC where they're acknowledged actors within the film playing out a heist movie, its still very much rooted in reality. When Animal blows up big at the end of the first muppet movie, it doesnt feel jarring or out of place to me because the whole film is played so naturalistic and straight. I don't think TMM or TMTM would have worked if every few minutes they were breaking forth wall and doing surreal fantastical stuff with a wink and a nod.

What's this about a pitch pilot with Sam as an airport screener? I never heard of that! Sounds intriguing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well it brought the gang to the absolute forefront of the public mind, even if not every college/adult person who remembers the muppets turned out. And it got a pretty much perfect rating with all professional critics which is weird.

It's funny you brought up Batman Begins, as I find it a little dull. But Dark Knight I've probably seen nearly a dozen times. I just strongly feel that there is a brilliant magic when the muppets are treated like people in the real world. The world of "The Muppets 2011" is very much fantasy. Even with GMC where they're acknowledged actors within the film playing out a heist movie, its still very much rooted in reality. When Animal blows up big at the end of the first muppet movie, it doesnt feel jarring or out of place to me because the whole film is played so naturalistic and straight. I don't think TMM or TMTM would have worked if every few minutes they were breaking forth wall and doing surreal fantastical stuff with a wink and a nod.

What's this about a pitch pilot with Sam as an airport screener? I never heard of that! Sounds intriguing.
That was something discussed 6 years ago or so...during my hiatus at MC.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem Labyrinth might have had. Who is the audience?
That's what I was thinking when I watched the movie, (which I didn't enjoy at all)
Who is Labyrinth supposed to be aiming at? It's too scary for little kids and too comically ridiculous for adults, plus there's songs in it, which makes it more ridiculous because I thought it was supposed to be a scary/exciting movie.