1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by bknatchbull, Mar 1, 2012.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

This needs to have a new director. NOT be a sequel. Have a more low key aesthetic style(ie: not so ABC/Disney family movie gloss look) like the original or an indie film,
    and be done right. Are they truly going to make this in time for holiday 2013?
    Where's the pre production? Wheres the movement on this? Somehow I doubt it.

My dream would be to have a new Muppet film in 2015 to coincide with the new Star Wars and Avengers...TRIPLE DISNEY WHAMMY!
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

This was never meant to be a sequel, and we all know it. The crew always wanted the second movie to be a free floating film. Disney probably has to make it a sequel title for brand reasons.

As for directing... name one director that hasn't blown his crap, and we'll talk. Bobin's the only reason we had Uncle Deadly in the film, and the movie's look can be forgiven since this was someone's first time not directing a TV show. The last director who did that didn't know what the heck he was doing and didn't care about the brand. Bobin does. He'll have a much better go the second time out. Getting Brian Henson is out and so isn't Frank Oz. Disney would probably go with a Kiddy director, and those are the WORST film directors out there. I'd rather Bobin than Tim Hill or whoever directed the Night at the Museum movies (the latter is clearly going to do the Sesame Street movie).
    Duke Remington likes this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I basically always just brushed this sequel talk off like a grain of salt...it's pretty obvious that it isn't going to really be a sequel, if anything Disney is announcing it that way just because they feel like the two movies are too close together for the public to actually believe in and go to to separate movies.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Unless Muppets 2 is the working title. I really hope it stays a working title. There has never been a Muppets 2 or anything. Bobin and Stoller know that. But if it's for brand recognition, it's brand recognition and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'd rather see a title that says something to the extent of "The Muppets:[whatever the movie is about]"

But this was never going to be a direct sequel. They clearly want a film similar to GMC, though whatever the extent is, that's to be revealed.
  5. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Something just dawned on me: I always call this past movie "the new movie" just for the sake of no recognizable name...what am I gonna do as this movie enters production? :p
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

The newer movie?
  7. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I'm still saying we won't see this released in 2013. I'm thinking February 2014 at the earliest. Probably right around Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend.
  8. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I hope its released on a national holiday, so I don't have to take a day off from school to see it on opening day. :)
    Muppet fan 123 and Hubert like this.
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I like it...
  10. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Looks like it WILL be out in late 2013. Filming begins in January
    http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2012/11/news-update-november-1-2012.html

I just hope it returns to a more realistic format. Way too much surrealism, fantastical, fourth wall breaking abuse. Yeah I know its the Muppets, but there really wasnt too many outlandish things(cept Animal becoming massive) that was in the original films.
    If Segal being outmeans it will get a more laid back realism approach, I'm all for it.

I just hope it doesn't have the same Disney family movie look to it this time around.

Also, for some reason I felt more magic in this blu ray extra than I did for a lot of the film, which to me is more like
  11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

So, looks like the Muppets film next November will be a spy/caper sort of film set in Europe(or specifically the UK), from what I gather. It'll probably be The Muppets: (insert james bondian/austin powers like title) HOPEFULLY this means our very own Luke and BlueFrackle will have a hand in the production somehow:p

Speaking of casting, we have the first bit of casting news from The Hollywood Reporter, who revealed late last night that Oscar-winner Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained) is in talks to star in the film! The article says his role will be that of an Interpol inspector, one of a handful of non-cameo human roles in the film. The article also reveals some of the other human roles, a Russian femme fatale and a male lead whose intentions are always in question. Who would you most like to see playing these two roles? (I would be beyond thrilled if Neil Patrick Harris was cast as the male lead.)

For some reason that setup doesn't really interest me. Kept me away from Cars 2.
    I get the whole trying to mimic the original trilogy...hmm, maybe this means the Muppets film in 2015 will be set in NYC? :)
  12. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Some of this is actually kind of old news.
    DrDientes and muppetlover123 like this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I would take a NYC film...though I think that here they have to be careful not to just make a copy of GMC, but rather to throw in a completely new plot line in the city that still is remnant of GMC's occasionally.
  14. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

i really think for the new movie they should release a kinect or just a regular xbox 360 wii and ps3 video game based on the new movie i would love it come on they didnt do one for the last one and sesame street has alot and every other disney movie gets one !
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  15. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I agree that a Muppet video game should be in order for one of these days...I think that it would be an essential piece of merch that many would buy.

I mean, if people are buying SST ones, why wouldn't they buy Muppets? :p
  16. Mo Frackle

I do like the idea of video game. We had some really nice ones in the past (Muppet Party Cruise, Muppet Race Mania, Muppet Monster Adventure, etc.), but we really haven't had any in awhile. I'd love to see a new one, and I'm sure it would get a lot of attention.
  17. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

they should make one either based of last years movie or the upcoming one
  18. Mo Frackle

Or they could make an entirely original one.
    muppetlover123 likes this.
  19. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I think either one would work, though a video game based on this past movie would seem to make some sense, even though I'd personally prefer an original one. One based on the new movie has so many possibilities, everything from driving with 80s Robot to playing minigames when going to each character's jobs.
    muppetlover123 likes this.
  20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Im so far behind the news:( I thought it was just fans saying they thought the second movie was going to be akin to GMC. Hmm...

Will they actually film it in England? It was ok for them to film Paris in LA, but if its going to be based in the UK it should be filmed there.