Should there be a Sesame Street Channel?

muppet baby

Reaction score
Wow, that certainly is a cool idea! There's no doubt about it that Sesame has more than enough material to fill up it's own station without repeats for a long, long time!

However, in other threads we've had alot of very spirited discussion over whether or not old 70's SS is appropriate for today's children. Many people have an "it's fine, I grew up with it and I'm fine, why can't they?" attitude. However, I'm more in the camp of "the 70's episodes were catered to the needs of 1970's children; in today's day and age we should cater to more modern needs". Of course they are needs and themes that are universal whenever you were a child, but the treatment is often different - ex. SS today would never show kids in a construction yard, as they actually did back in the day.

So while a 24-hour Sesame Channel is a sweet idea, I think that too many parents would assume that everything on there would always be appropriate, and may end up being upset with what their child is exposed to.

Well, for first thing that i want to say is i have been thinking about a 24/7 ss channel, that would be a wonderful idea .

As for the ponit that was brount up about some of the 70s ss eposides not being for today's kids ok maybe some people might get upset . They could if the channel happened they could just put those on the late night time for the channel . that would be cool, for the die hard fans like me and other adults that grew up with the show .
i mean no one really ment for something to be taken out of contexted for later generations i hope that makes sense saying that .
i mean how else are the die hard fans who where born after the 70s that really want to see those . i was born in 81 and would love to see the first ss eposide and all the epsodes that i missed, when i had to stop watching it durning school because of time and other issues that made me where i could not watch al that i wanted to at the time . Anyway i am a DIE HARD FAN . I mean i would by them if they came out on dvd even if it would cost a lot of money .
The channel though would be even better becuse in a way would could see it any time that we wanted if that makes sense . hehe

i know that i am rabling that poeple feel the same way that i do about a ss channel there is always hope that it could happen .:batty: that would be the greatest

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's just that I don't want the older episodes just for myself. I'd want them for the kids as well. I honestly wouldn't want to show my kids most of the current show. I don't want my kids to learn that old is something to hide away. And I don't want to assume that because something's currently popular on the TV, must mean it's beneficial.

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
Maybe Muppet Central could build an online Sesame Street Channel. We have an online radio.

muppet baby

Reaction score
It's just that I don't want the older episodes just for myself. I'd want them for the kids as well. I honestly wouldn't want to show my kids most of the current show. I don't want my kids to learn that old is something to hide away. And I don't want to assume that because something's currently popular on the TV, must mean it's beneficial.

Yes herald, i totally agree with u that i do not want the older eposides just for me either and yes i also don't want my kids to think just because it is old that it needs to be tucked away . i wanted to say that in my last post but did not know how much room i had . he he .

All your points are perfect .

i hope that at some point that this channel could happen .

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes herald, i totally agree with u that i do not want the older eposides just for me either and yes i also don't want my kids to think just because it is old that it needs to be tucked away . i wanted to say that in my last post but did not know how much room i had . he he .

All your points are perfect .

i hope that at some point that this channel could happen .
Aw thanks, and I do agree that showing the old episodes at night for the older fans would also be a great idea. I can't see most adults getting up that early in the morning, even for Sesame Street. :wink:

muppet baby

Reaction score
Aw thanks, and I do agree that showing the old episodes at night for the older fans would also be a great idea. I can't see most adults getting up that early in the morning, even for Sesame Street. :wink:
i know late night for ss, would be good i know adults early in the morning i really agree with that i have been there hehe .

i hope that the channel does happen . :excited::wink:

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
It probably wont happen, Muppet Baby. I may have come up with this idea, but unfortunately, I am not the executive of Sesame Workshop, so I can't put it into action. Then again, they said that a Sesame Street theme park would probably never happen, and we have Sesame Place.

muppet baby

Reaction score
It probably wont happen, Muppet Baby. I may have come up with this idea, but unfortunately, I am not the executive of Sesame Workshop, so I can't put it into action.
yes i know what u mean and i know that u do not work for ss workshop he he . Nice idea, though and maybe some day . hope is always is there for any thing .

he he . Glad that u have come to the forum Taco wiz i hope that u have a wonderful time here this is a wonderful place to be .

ssetta

Reaction score
I do think that an all-Sesame Street channel would be wonderful, but at the same time, I actually may not like it that much. Of course, everyone here on MC loves Sesame Street. But even so, I don't think I would want to spend EVERY SECOND of my TIME watching Sesame Street. There's other things I would want to do. And also, keep in mind that there has never before been ANY channel that only ever played one show. And there are a lot of TV shows out there who have done as many episodes as Sesame Street, or even more than that. I really don't think it would be popular at all, for the most part.

But also, you have to realize how popular iTunes is nowadays for buying and downloading TV shows. They have like 30 episodes of The Electric Company on iTunes, which from what I understand, have never before been released. They are NOT the same ones as on the DVDs, and I'm not sure if they were ever on Noggin. But what I'm saying is that they could very well do the same thing with Sesame Street, and I would not at all be surprised if they did. So it seems like these days, things like iTunes are a better method of getting/viewing old TV shows than television itself. Also, don't forget how popular TV on DVD sales are. I actually have to say that very very slowly, but very very surely, TV as we know it is starting to become obsolete.

Taco Wiz

Reaction score
Every single Sesame Street episode on iTunes is a good idea. Then again, Sesame Street has it's own online video player. And even then it only has a couple hundred sketches. Anyway, even though you don't want to spend every single minute watching Sesame Street, you don't have to. I like Cartoon Network, but I don't spend all day watching it.