Sesame Street needs to end

WazzupMyBoyz

Reaction score
NO! If people learn that Sesame Street is cancelled, they're going to be upset. I know it's been on for 50+ years, but no matter how strong or weak it was, it still changed how preschool children watched TV forever.

groverandgrapes

Reaction score
NO! If people learn that Sesame Street is cancelled, they're going to be upset. I know it's been on for 50+ years, but no matter how strong or weak it was, it still changed how preschool children watched TV forever.
Sorry, I dont agree there are other shows to watch besides sesame street

Andy451

Reaction score
To me, the series ended when Jim Henson passed away. I mean don't get me wrong, I like Steve Whitmire, but let's face it, he's not Jim Henson. There will NEVER be another Jim Henson. Let's be honest, Jim Henson was 25 - 50% the reason why Sesame Street is such an iconic household name and why we even loved it in the first place. Jim Henson laid out some of the foundation work for Sesame Street, with him being the one behind the designs of a lot of the Muppets we know and love to this day. I mean yeah Frank Oz was still there along with Jerry Nelson, but without Jim Henson, there was definitely an element of Sesame Street that was missing, and that was Jim Henson's personality that he portrayed through his characters, especially Ernie and Kermit. And it ESPECIALLY feels like there's an element missing without Jim Henson and Frank Oz working together anymore in the Muppet skits like in years previous. The rest of the series after his passing just feels like extras in some ways. Without Jim Henson, sesame street was NEVER the same. Anyone who prefers Whitmire to Henson, that's fine, but a lot of Sesame Street has been preserved on both online, vhs, and dvd. I mean it wouldn't at LEAST hurt to give Henson's skits a try and see what he had that Whitmire doesn't.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I don't think there's anyone out there that would prefer Whitmire's stuff to Henson. However, Whitmire was still the second-best at doing Henson's characters.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Honestly the idea that Sesame Street went in a different direction after Henson passed away to me is ridiculous.

If he were still alive I would absolutely imagine we would still have stuff like the Around the Corner sets and what have you. The show was competing against other PBS shows by this point, and it’s always been up to date with the times and what kids enjoy.

Heck I’d argue we probably still would have had “Elmo’s World” even if he were still present. 🤷‍♂️

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Anyone who prefers Whitmire to Henson, that's fine, but a lot of Sesame Street has been preserved on both online, vhs, and dvd. I mean it wouldn't at LEAST hurt to give Henson's skits a try and see what he had that Whitmire doesn't.
I'm mainly confused by this. I have truly never heard of anyone who refuses to watch a Sesame skit with Jim Henson performing because they're some sort of "Whitmire purist".

Honestly the idea that Sesame Street went in a different direction after Henson passed away to me is ridiculous.

If he were still alive I would absolutely imagine we would still have stuff like the Around the Corner sets and what have you. The show was competing against other PBS shows by this point, and it’s always been up to date with the times and what kids enjoy.

Heck I’d argue we probably still would have had “Elmo’s World” even if he were still present. 🤷‍♂️

It's such an easy out to say that something would have never happened if Jim were around. No one can truly know what he would have done.