Sesame Muppets on international versions of SS

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Errr... to the best of my knowledge, no. Most likely Ernie and Bert, like most other SS characters seen internationally are dubbed. The international dubbers claim the characters aren't American Ernie and Bert, dubbed, but they try to make them seem like they are part of the production. But they are dubbed.
My brother (who is part Japanese) lives in Japan, and told me they air both the original version of our Sesame Street, and then a dubbed version. (This was a few years ago, so they might have changed since then).

And just for the record, here's a guide to what some of the characters are called in other countrys...

Ernie
Anees (Kuwait)
Epi (Spain)
Enrique (Mexico0)
Erling (Norway)
Arik (Isreal)
Ernie (Sweden)
Edi (Turkey)
Yenik (Russia)
Erik (Denmark)

Bert
Bader (Kuwait)
Blas (Spain)
Beto (Mexico)
Bernt (Norway)
Bentz (Isreal)
Bert (Sweden)
Bu..du... (Turkey)
Vlas (Russia)
Bent (Denmark)

Cookie
Ka'aki (Kuwait)
Triqui (Spain)
Lucas (Mexico)
Kakemonsteret (Norway)
Oogie (Isreal)
Kakmonstret (Sweden)
KurabiteCanavari (Turkey)
Korzhik (Russia)
Kage Monster (Denmark)

Kermit
Kamel (Kuwait)
Gustavo (Spain)
La Rana Rene (Mexico)
Kermit (Norway)
Kermit (Isreal)
Kermit (Sweden)
Kurbagacik (Turkey)
Kermit (Russia)
Kermit (Denmark)

Grover
Gargoor (Kuwait)
Coco (Spain)
Archibaldo (Mexico)
Gunnar (Norway)
Kruvi (Isreal)
Greven (Sweden)
Ac,ikgoz (Turkey)
Grover (Russia)
Guffer (Denmark)

Anyone know where Kuwait is?

Pino

Reaction score
muppet maniac said:
Elmo, Narf, and the green female monster(not Phoebe, but the one with yellow pigtails---she was seen with Zoe in one of the Season 36 episodes) are on France's "5 Rue Sesame"

They also have a penguin on there, with a blue beak
you mean 1 rue sesame? But that hasn't aired since the late 80's!
What do you mean?:confused:

Pino

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
My brother (who is part Japanese) lives in Japan, and told me they air both the original version of our Sesame Street, and then a dubbed version. (This was a few years ago, so they might have changed since then).

Anyone know where Kuwait is?
Its true.. there where 2 versions.. They started with the dubbed version but because it was too expensive and no one watched it. The network canceled the show.. In the same time another network started with their own version.. this one was a succes... I think the 1st network made the wrong bet :wink:

And Kuwait is near the iraq border. That was the reason That golfwar 1 started arround the 90's.. Because Kuweit had a lot of oil and Iraq attaced them for it.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
What do you mean?

Well recently France got a new co-production of SS entitled "5 Rue Sesame".

Its true.. there where 2 versions.. They started with the dubbed version but because it was too expensive and no one watched it. The network canceled the show.. In the same time another network started with their own version.. this one was a succes... I think the 1st network made the wrong bet

No no no no...that's not what happened. THIS is actually what happened:

1971: Sesame Street was first seen on Japanese television(via NHK). Since then, it has become a huge success with merchandising(way better than over here), exhibits, a Sesame Place theme park, and even attractions at Universal Studios in Osaka. The show aired on Saturday mornings at 9(or 8 cant remember which)and in the evening on Sundays, giving older viewers a chance to learn a few English words/phrases. The program was broadcast in both English and dubbed in Japanese. I remember a few years ago during my stay there(around the mid 90s)that it was in English and at the end of the show, they had a segment called "Sunny Day Club", which fans(kids, adults, etc)send in their drawings and SS songs play in the background with a lady's voiceover heard(in Japanese of course she even spoke in some parts of an episode)...one kid even drew a picture of Guy Smiley(!) Occasionally they showed a few SS clips-one was "The Adventures of Prairie Dawn" and the other I think I will talk about later...In 2003-2004, Mr. Donuts had some promotion going on, and Sesame BB(some online program) and Sesame Mobile launched. But then, in March of 2004, NHK(not sure if they wanted to, or maybe some dude forced them to)canceled the show...for good. Sony lost the rights to SS merchandise, therefore all the SSW stores had to be closed down. And in April, someone(SW?) wanted to make a local adaption of the show---but NHK refused to become involved with it. SW teamed up with some Japanese companies and formed Sesame Street Partners Japan(SSPJ for short)to bring it existence...and in October of the same year, Japan's first co-production of SS was launched on TV Tokyo. The only three original characters on there were Big Bird, Elmo, and Cookie Monster, who were joined by four new Muppets: Mojabo, a cross between Stinky the Plant and Telly; a purple female monster Teena, small yellow bird named Arthur, and a blue frog named Pierre. And instead of the familiar brownstone buildings and doors, it was a complete Japanese neighborhood. The new version wasn't such a success as the original. Ratings were decreasing, and while Ernie, Bert, and Grover were seen in archived footage and on merchandise(although not REALLY part of the show like big bird,elmo, and cookie), several other favorites like Oscar, Zoe, and The Count were nowhere to be found. I guess this is similar to the time when Scrappy Doo joined Scooby and the gang, and later Daphne, Fred, and Velma were eased out. But, the good thing was: SSPJ also had the rights to the American show in Japan. Basically whatever new stuff is going to be out-be it merch, events, anything, they will manage all that. And finally, just as expected, the "all that" came. In 2005, Sanrio put out an Oscar the Grouch t-shirt, Count letter set(saw it on auctionsyahoo once), stuff with the characters in 35th art form(memo pads, spiral notebooks, folders, stickers...), mini figures sold in slot machines; a Sesame Street Live show toured in August of the same year; SSPJ opened up an online store on their website-source for vintage US items and even has a special staff talk w/ rare(and cool)SS photos. Sesame BB is still up and running, and so are the stuff at USJ(which SSPJ has nothing to do with because it was added there in 2003, a year earlier) and I was looking on auctions and saw black and white plush of Big Bird(hand puppet), Elmo(puppet/doll/mini doll), Cookie Monster(puppet), and Oscar(mini dolls) Right now, the Japanese version has finished its 52 episode run, and who knows what will happen...

And that's pretty much the end

Pino

Reaction score
wow.. was I miss informed then... thanks for clearing this up!
I thought that is was a simple network battle :wink:

zanimum

Reaction score
Pino said:
What do you mean?:confused:
Roxie Marie, from the mid-1990s Sesame Street, is also a new character on "5, Rue Sesame".