Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Something tells me negotiations fell through pretty early on, at least Fox backing out. I'm sure if the film even went to the drawing tables Joey would have heard about it one way or another. The fact that someone that's pretty high up doesn't know what's going on says this movie wasn't going to happen in the first place.
And again, I say, epic fail.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Something tells me negotiations fell through pretty early on, at least Fox backing out. I'm sure if the film even went to the drawing tables Joey would have heard about it one way or another. The fact that someone that's pretty high up doesn't know what's going on says this movie wasn't going to happen in the first place.
Actually, Joey was supposed to write it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't believe that mindset exists. Yeah, they can watch the show at home for free, but not that particular story (or they have to wait... and people will have to wait a lot longer to see it on TV than buying the DVD).
On the one hand, The Simpsons, South Park, the first Sex in the City, Rugrats, and Beavis and Butthead were all very successful... with the exception of Rugrats, they were able to have a lot more freedoms in terms of censorship. Sot that kinda helped. I always say this, but I'm baffled by the fact movies based on TV shows when they're current and still popular aren't viable from a business standpoint, but waiting 20 years when they're nostalgic, and essentially throwing away the source material, often turning them into bad jokes... films that inevitably bomb at the box office, are much more fiscally sound.

Then again, there's the aspect of it being a preschool show. Name one preschool show that had a successful movie ever... and it has to be in the United States (Anpanman and Wombles don't count). None of them are. FTB made the most money, but it wasn't all that much. Parents don't want to bring screaming 3 and 4 year olds to the movies to watch something they can sit in front of the TV, and any kid over the age of 3-4 will protest.

Actually, Joey was supposed to write it.
And he wasn't' even aware of it.
Someone didn't contact him and assumed he'd be the writer when the project was in the earliest of development stages. And we all know what happens when you assume.

Unless of course this was all just a rumor that someone blew out of proportion.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Parents don't want to bring screaming 3 and 4 year olds to the movies to watch something they can sit in front of the TV, and any kid over the age of 3-4 will protest.
But they have no problem bringing their kids to Sesame Street Live, which has been a success for over 23 years?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Drtooth does have a point though... years and years and YEARS ago, somehow, for some reason, I found myself being dragged to a Winnie the Pooh movie (THE TIGGER MOVIE, I think), and it was absolutely the worst moviegoing experience I ever could have experienced, all because every single freakin' kid in the theater would not sit down and shut up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Drtooth does have a point though... years and years and YEARS ago, somehow, for some reason, I found myself being dragged to a Winnie the Pooh movie (THE TIGGER MOVIE, I think), and it was absolutely the worst moviegoing experience I ever could have experienced, all because every single freakin' kid in the theater would not sit down and shut up.
And that's why the last movie failed. WTP turned into a preschool franchise ever since Book of Pooh, and it doesn't help that the last Pooh project before that movie was a Dora the Explorer style preschool series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This movie has been confirmed to not be happening.

Please refrain from goofy comments.

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
Aw Mann!!! I already told my friend that when it came out I'd get it for her!

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
This movie has been confirmed to not be happening.

Please refrain from goofy comments.
Just wondering, do you have any official sources like from Joey Mazzarino or a 20th Century Fox executive? I'm just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.