1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Hubert, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

According to The Hollywood Reporter, 20th Century Fox picked up the movie rights for a Sesame Street movie. Not much is really known about it right now, other than Joey Mazzarino as of now is going to be writing it and some producers have been announced.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this...

2. Cindy

Cindy Moderator Staff Member

Please let it be good. Please let it be good. Please let it be really, really good.

Or maybe I should be chanting:

Please let this happen. Please let this happen. Please let this happen.
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that because Joey is writing it, it will be good (and darn funny). I also hope there's no pressure from Fox or the Workshop to make Elmo the star; sure, he can have a main role, but not THE main role. I want an ensemble piece. And a Mr. Johnson appearance.
    iluvfragglerock and panmanthe2nd like this.
  4. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

"When evil businessman Tex Richman discovers oil beneath Sesame Street, Elmo's biggest fan must reunite the old gang..."
  5. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking. I feel a lot better about this because I know that an experienced SST writer and performer who has a large knowledge of the show is writing it.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Moderator Staff Member

I could go for a Murray's Big Adventure.
  7. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you know it? I was just coming on here to post this same thing.

That said, I can't help but be worried, considering Fox is behind well, this but I'm hoping they don't make Joey's script more THEIR movie than it is his. I don't want Big Bird eating Grover's poop or Cookie Monster making 3 million jokes about Charlie Sheen, Rebecca Black or the Cinnamon Challenge that will be outdated by next year. I'm sure Joey's script will have none of that but Fox might try and pull a fast one but hopefully not.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried that they'd Elmo's World the entire film than all of that. That seems to be the more likely, as Elmo is THE target Sesame Street character.

I have faith in Joey's writing credit. Unless they get that jerk director Tim Hill back in there, I'm sure Joey's vision and experience will be left unchallenged... or challenged very little.

I just hope they have a bigger budget than the last film and get some cameo human stars people have heard of that aren't too dated.
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Again, this begs the question... they couldn't get Jim Lewis to write The Muppets because...?

Either way, I'm having a hard time swallowing this one, mainly because they seem to be rather secretive in the article about the movie, along with Fox apparently having "no comment at this time", but other than that, if this is for real, then I'm psyched. I wish we could have a really spectacular Super Grover epic, or at least give Big Bird another movie, but if not, yes, PLEASE Joey, for us loyal Muppet Freaks, please make this an ensemble piece and not all Elmo.
    mo and SSLFan like this.
  10. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

I would love to see a movie abour Bert and Ernie, they are iconic characters from the show and in the past two movies ther were jus supporting cast. And I wanna see historic characters too, like Herry, Sherlock, amazing Mumford, Bruno, Gladys,Hoots, Natacha, etc.. Like The Muppets did, the parents loved to see charcters from their chilhood with their kids. The new Sesame film would be amazing if they work in that way..
    iluvfragglerock likes this.
  11. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

Wait, isn't Warner Bros. the current owner of Sesame Street? Or is that just merchandising rights?
  12. D'Snowth

Just as far as DVD releases are concerned.
  13. MrBabySpencer

MrBabySpencer Active Member

And don't forget those few Sesame Street video games Warner Bros. made!
  14. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Because Jason and Nick made a script when Disney wasn't doing anything in-house.
  15. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw this on IMDB.com this morning. I do hope it will be decent, as I was vastly disappointed in Elmo in Grouchland. I know that film was targeted towards a younger audience, so I do hope this new film will be like Follow That Bird in that will appeal to all ages. Afterall, Big Bird in the airplane chase scene that referenced Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" was pure genius.
  16. Great news! I look forward to more as this project builds steam. :)
  17. bingboingcutie

bingboingcutie Active Member

This is sooo awesome!!!!! I screamed like Piggy about to be on Broadway when I heard the news. First Muppets 2, then the Fraggle deal working again, and now THIS?!?! Best time to be a muppet fan ever!
  18. D'Snowth

Now I have to wonder... is this going to be considered the "third" SST movie, and the "first SST movie in thirteen/fourteen years" like how The Muppets was considered the "seventh" Muppet movie, and the "first Muppet movie in twelve years"? Like are CinderElmo and Abby in Wonderland going to "not count" like KSY, IAVMMCM, and MWoO "don't count" because none of them were theatrical movies?
  19. If you're going to chant the latter, we all need to be chanting the former.
    Cindy likes this.
  20. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

yes! i am excited for this movie. i wonder if they would make a story revolving around bert ernie and grover making them the MAIN roles and not elmo. i meant we had an elmo movie and big bird movie now maybe we can have a bert grover and ernie movie.

Maybe some big named cameos and some old characters brought back :search::p:(:insatiable::wisdom::grouchy::super::batty::laugh:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.