Real/Replica Muppets

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
Yes!!!!! Excellent!!! Just like him.....The only skit i remember him in was when he was on the roof top Singin' that Willy Wonka song!!!! But Very Good work!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Rugby said:
I hope nobody here is suggesting that making a replica muppet for your own personal enjoyment is somehow wrong or a bad thing. If somebody is suggesting that, then all fan art is wrong, bad, illegal. Some laws are just dumb laws, and if making a replica Kermit for myself is some highly illegal manuever, then come and arrest me. Making a Kermit for myself isn't hurting a single soul. Some may claim that JHC would be losing licensing money by me not buying a licensed Kermit, but you would be very sorely wrong, because I wouldn't buy a licensed Kermit in the first place if replica is what I was after. Fan art should be considered a compliment, not a crime. Arresting fans for things they create for their own personal enjoyment would look pretty bad in the public eye, illegal or not.

*defiantly steps off soapbox*
Well, I've stated (it's a fact not a suggestion) that yes, it is technically illegaly to reproduce a licensed character.

"Fan art", that is a fan is a fan creating a painting or drawing of a character is sometimes technically copyright infringement and sometimes not. If you've seen Smig's Muppet fan art that's probably not an infringement because it's one artist's interpretation of a character which is covered as part of freedom of expression. Actually trying to duplicate an artist's work through any means (including building a replica of Kermit) is considered copyright infringement in the United States, Canada, the UK and most other countries . . . though Tztz can probably do it with inpunity over in Isreal! :stick_out_tongue:

Now, before people starting complaining and flaming all I am saying here is that this is the law. We can rationalize all we want but it's a fact. I do agree that fan art is a tribute and as long as there is no commercial activity it should be fine. I've never heard about someone being sued for making their own Kermit or Piggy. Where you'll have trouble is if you try to sell it. I think most of us agree that that is absolutely wrong, bad and illegal.

Jinx

Reaction score
Well stated, buck.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that we send out the police to arrest everyone who has ever made anuthing that looks like a muppet. But at the bottom line, if (mind you I said IF) JHC wanted to tell you that you couldn't make any sort of replica, they would be well within their rights.

Now, we also know that they are an incredibly smart bunch of people, and they are going to recognize the distinction between "fan art" and "rip-off", and choose their battles accordingly.

Let's not forget that they love us! I think that they have shown incredible support to their fans over the years!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Jinx said:
...and they are going to recognize the distinction between "fan art" and "rip-off", and choose their battles accordingly.
Well, that's probably what the producers of "Wimzie's House" thought! :stick_out_tongue: lol

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Is it in great condition? If it's not, are you going to refurbish it?
I like to have one of your's if you build another one if that's alright with you.