Real/Replica Muppets

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ahem.

(Buck pulls out his soap box and sighs deeply)

Actually, it is very illegal to have a replica Muppet made even just for personal use. Copyright laws are very clear on that. Are you likely to get in trouble for owning one or making one yourself? Probably not. But any puppet maker who makes one for you is profiting from another's work (the JHC's in this case) which is illegal and really disrespectful and unethical.

Like Whatever suggested, Eden and Applause have made some very good Kermit puppets. In fact they are much better than most of the rip-offs that occasionally show up on ebay or elsewhere on the `net.

Jinx

Reaction score
(Stepping briefly onto Buck's soap box)

Worth mentioning, too, is that the Eden and Applause items are licensed by the Henson organization for exactly the reasons that Buck mentioned. To protect their copyrighted characters, while still allowing the public to have limited access to them.

I think that often people think that if they don't get caught, or if (in their own estimation) no one is being hurt by an action that its OK. Its like running a stop sign in the middle of the night when there's no one around. Its still against the law, whether observed or not.

Drew

Reaction score
I never thought about the legal side of things. Sorry :frown:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The Applause Kermit had a harder plastic mouth lining; the Eden Kermit is the VERY BEST that I've ever played with! Even over the one from the late 70's.

Rugby

Reaction score
*Hops on rugby's soapbox*

I hope nobody here is suggesting that making a replica muppet for your own personal enjoyment is somehow wrong or a bad thing. If somebody is suggesting that, then all fan art is wrong, bad, illegal. Some laws are just dumb laws, and if making a replica Kermit for myself is some highly illegal manuever, then come and arrest me. Making a Kermit for myself isn't hurting a single soul. Some may claim that JHC would be losing licensing money by me not buying a licensed Kermit, but you would be very sorely wrong, because I wouldn't buy a licensed Kermit in the first place if replica is what I was after. Fan art should be considered a compliment, not a crime. Arresting fans for things they create for their own personal enjoyment would look pretty bad in the public eye, illegal or not.

*defiantly steps off soapbox*

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
Ok....Question.

Am I to understand, that if I myself make a replica of Floyd to display in my own house, I am Technically infringing on copyrights????

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, I look at it like this. I don't want someone else doing Muley art or puppets without my permission, but as long as they don't make money off it then it's really not much I can do about it unless they are demeaning the charaters' integrity and someone mistakes the fake-Muley for my real Muley art. However, I have had folks do Muley art that they gave to me, which I didn't mind at all and found that rather neat.

I'm sure the JHC doesn't want us to use their characters in any shape form or fashion or to make any profits off those said characters, but I doubt seriously they care what any one singular person does in their own home that doesn't financially benefit themselves with the JHC's properties. They have bigger fish to fry.

However, technically and morally, it's not a good thing to do.