1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Puppeteer's Resources Links

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Aug 23, 2005.

1. KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Aw man, sold out! :grr: Lol, oh well. Maybe they'll get more?

So, I read somewhere that using hot glue on foam caused it to deteriorate faster over the years, making the breakdown bits breathable and toxic, especially to children. Is this correct? I'm nearly ready to start building again, but now I'm thinking about the contact cement option.

That reminds me, is contact cement good for, say, gluing the fleece to fleece on the lip of a puppet mouth (to avoid sewing in that area for a "cleaner" look), as well as gluing fleece onto a rubber gasket mouth? If so, would it harden too much and take away flexibility?

Also, I've checked all these links, but can't find any Kermit or Rowlf type eyes. Besides making them myself, any suggestions on what to use? Oh yeah, one last thing: can I still get Antron fleece from GA Stage?

Thanks so much everyone! Fantastic thread.
    ;)
    Anthony
  2. Animal31 Active Member

I use hot glue for everything, never heard that before? I have also heard contact cement will turn brittle after time and loose it's seal, but then again I don't think it matters one way or the other as everything crumbles in time.

Rowlf eyes, you may have to improvise, but for Kermit's try 30-35mm half dome...
    KermieBaby47 likes this.
  3. Arthur Smith New Member

Hi there! I'm just starting in puppet making. Would love to get like minded people together to share ideas and creations. Please check out and share
    https://www.facebook.com/MakingPuppets
    . Thanks!
  4. MineKBMuppets New Member

I have a question. Im planning to make a puppet. But I am struck where to buy some fur. Like a neon green-ish fur or any other color. Help!
  5. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

6. ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

It looks like they finally did.
    KermieBaby47 likes this.
  7. Pop Tarts New Member

8. MagicFractal Member

What a great time to be into these things.

For those handy with electronics, there are companies like www.parallax.com (I do not work for them or any other company I recommend) which has fast USB interfacing to I/O. Any older computer can be used via its printer (Centronics) parallel port, if done carefully with protection.

As an example, if you want a lot of animation in your scenery, like birds, you could invest in some re-usable "Nitinol" (aka "Bio-Wire") which is strong enough to tug on small "cable puppet" actuators. There are other ways like solenoid coils and stepper motors, but those are bigger typically and need more power and support parts.

Soon I hope, I will have a 3D Printer to make props, as the cost is coming down, there's a do-it-yourself free design version and another that self-replicates !

Google provides sources for all of the above.
  9. Jungle Joe New Member

If you need to know anything regarding latex or latex puppets here are few resources:
    Blog for Latex puppets, contains lots of information about venrtiloquism and latex puppets, here is the link: www.allpropuppets.blogspot.com

A website for latex puppets, If you are interested in buying yourself a latex puppet or ordering a latex prop or puppet for yourself, here is a great website: www.allpropuppets.com
  10. Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I went to the first site you posted on there Jungle Joe. I couldn't find any information about making Latex puppets, only more performing with them. Is there any information in that regard there or is it more performance tips?
  11. Buck-Beaver Active Member

Sorry, I don't want to sound rude, but I have to debunk this.

There are pros and cons to contact cement and hot glue, but contact cement (assuming it's fresh and properly applied) absolutely will not turn brittle and lose its seal. I have been building puppets for almost 20 years and I have never seen that happen. The foam in a puppet is more likely to break down and crumble long before the contact cement does. If you use contact cement and that happens, you're doing something wrong.

Contact cement is a much superior adhesive to contact cement when building foam puppets. It's stronger, dries thinner and is more permanent. The trick is knowing how to apply it properly and making sure that it cures (dries) properly.

The drawback of contact cement is that it is extremely toxic. You need to use it outdoors, or in a very well ventilated area and you should always use a proper respirator and gloves. It should never be used in a basement (there is a minor, but serious safety risk if a lot of fumes come in to contact with a furnace) and using it an indoor room in a house with just a fan or a small window is a good way to shorten your lifespan and/or your family's.

Hot glue is much safer, although it's not non-toxic either - you're essentially melting plastic when you use it. The risk associated with it is much lower and a respirator probably isn't necessary unless you use it everyday, all the time. Hot glue is not as good or permanent an adhesive as contact cement. You can get much cleaner (thinner, harder to see) seams with contact cement than you can with hot glue. Hot glue is thick, difficult to control unless you keep it at exactly the right temperature (which most glue guns don't), there is always a risk you will get burned. It can also come apart if it gets hot enough, although to be fair I have only heard of that happening in hot climates like Arizona and Mexico.