1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Puppet Up Television Special November 20

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by GelflingWaldo, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. GelflingWaldo New Member

Source: http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com
    Whoopie! :excited:
  2. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Oh that's AWESOME!! I will definitely be TiVo-ing it! Thanks for the info Gelfing! :) :D
  3. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Awesome--thanks for the news!

Go, Tivo, Go!
  4. Erine81981 Active Member

Make note. Record this speical.
  5. beaker Well-Known Member

Looks like they are using ACTUAL Muppet characters too, woot!

Check it out, these are ALL Muppet characters
    (the weasel from Statler and Waldorf In The Balcony, the koala from
    Animal Jam, and Joe The Armidillo...one of my personal faves)
    http://www.puppetup.com/photoaspen.html

Woot!
  6. beaker Well-Known Member

7. Punch'n'Judy New Member

They're not actual Muppet characters. Can't see Disney allowing that. And even when they are recycling old Henson puppets (e.g. Raisin) they are performed as completley different characters, only the physical appearance is the same.
  8. Land Strider New Member

Woohoo! We saw brief clips of this at ComicCon and it was HILARIOUS! So glad that we'll be able to see the performance in it's entirety.
  9. Punch'n'Judy New Member

Puppets not characters. There's a big (and probably legal) difference.
  10. MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    Is anyone able to record "Puppet Up" onto a DVD and send me a copy, please?

I would very much like to be able discuss it at the same time as everyone else and not have to wait for ages for it to be shown in the UK (if ever)!

I have lots of stuff to trade - simply click the hyperlink below for what I have to offer

I would appreciate it so much!

Cheers :)
  11. MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    Is anyone able to record "Puppet Up" onto a DVD and send me a copy, please?

I would very much like to be able discuss it at the same time as everyone else and not have to wait for ages for it to be shown in the UK (if ever)!

I have lots of stuff to trade - simply click the hyperlink below for what I have to offer

I would appreciate it so much!

Cheers :)
  12. BradFraggle Member

I can't wait! I would really love if they released a DVD of the special too (maybe an extended version - as two 1-hour shows will be filmed and be edited down for the 50-minute special) but I don't know how likely that would be.
  13. travellingpat Active Member

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET cant wait to watch it!!!!!
  14. beaker Well-Known Member

Um, so Joe the Armadillo, who stole the show of the Kermit Swamp Years dvd...thats not him?

So if I used the Kermit replica in my own show, and called him "Gilbert", it wouldnt be Kermit?

As far as I can tell, a variety of the puppets used in PuppetUp are definately muppet characters, performed by some Muppet alumni. I mean, otherwise we can just have Disney employees putting their hand in real muppet puppets and have no use for signature Muppeteers or anything.

Btw, are you aware the Sesame Street characters are STILL legally called Muppets? I'd wager most fans will forever consider Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street muppet characters.
  15. Punch'n'Judy New Member

They are being very specific with this. That armadillo puppet could be playing a real estate agent called Kevin who gets his kicks by groping Paris Hilton as she goes shopping at Wal Mart (all ideas that came up in the various shows I saw in Scotland). So it is a different character. Hensons were quite keen to point this out.
  16. BradFraggle Member

The armadillo puppet was actually first used as Dooley the Armadillo in "The Animal Show". It was used as Annette in the fourth season of "Bear in the Big Blue House" and was re-used again for Joe the Armadillo on the "Kermit's Swamp Years" DVD. Now it's been in some Puppet Up! shows. I don't know who has the copyright of the puppet design, but I doubt Henson would be using it if Disney had ownership claim over the puppet (someone's lawyer would have spoken up by now).
  17. MuppetMarc New Member

It's kind of sad to see the word 'uncensored' on a Henson project:sympathy:
  18. BradFraggle Member

Why?

Brian Henson (Jim's son) said "I think my father would have loved it because of how outrageous we get. My Dad really believed in community and sweetness but the other side of him was incredibly naughty."

Take a look at Henson's work on Saturday Night Live in "The Land of Gorch" sketches. Talk about uncensored - alcohol abuse, adultery, drugs, and even a full on puppet sex scene! Jim always had some uncensored stuff.

Sadly, Sesame Street The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock got him the trapped into only being seen for "Children's" and "Family-Friendly" entertainment. He always talked about wanting to break back into the adult world.

The shows are not excessively "dirty" and "fowl" (sometimes the audience suggestions aren't "kid-friendly"), this isn't like "South Park", "Crank Yankers" or "Jay & Silent Bob" – yes, they are for grown-ups (like The Tonight Show, Who's Line is it Anyway or The Daily Show) they're just not appropriate for a 5-year old – but I wouldn't feel awkward watching with my grandmother. They basically put the "uncensored" and "adults only" tag on the show to show this isn't like "Sesame Street", or even "The Muppet Show", and its not targeted at kids. This is sophisticated, improvised, live and grown-up humor.

I hope Puppet Up! and Late Night Buffet brings Henson puppetry back to a grown-up audience.
  19. Punch'n'Judy New Member

And they did do a very succesful run of Family shows in Scotland this summer.
  20. beaker Well-Known Member

So if they pull out a Frackle puppet, its not *actually* a Frackle. Ok.

Yeah, I'm sorry...I just do not consider the Muppets seperate from Fraggle Rock, non creature shop JHC or Sesame Street. I think very few if any Jim Henson/Muppet fans recognize the "Muppets" as only being Disney.

In fact I just went to Sesame Worshop.org, they seem to still call the Sesame characters Muppets. JHC is relaunching the Fraggle Franchise, and what they are no longer muppets?

I think its hillarious and pretty sad the Jim Henson Company not only sold out that which MADE them the Jim Henson Company, but all the sudden pretends the Muppets were never apart of them...going so far as to nix Kermit from Emmet Otter and other rereleases.

I consider PuppetUp Improv to be Muppets, and if they werent wed be discussing this under puppetry/Henson people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.