Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If anything else in these episodes needs to be edited for any reason and they add in segments then I hope the replacement skits include rare characters from this period (if they're not in the bonus clips).
I sort of take this back. If rare characters from this period don't appear in the episodes themselves, they very well could put them in the bonus segments, but they most likely won't include stuff from before or after this period as bonus skits (though all of the easter eggs on volume 2 came from the first five years). So now I say that if anything in the episodes has to be cut and replaced, they should be replaced with rare skits from the first ten years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as classic cuts go, I really hope they do put a Deena and Pearl on there. They seem to be completely lost, and SW hasn't posted any of them on Youtube or their own web site, and no one has any footage of them anywhere.

But I'd really like to see (highly unlikely) street scenes featuring C-3P0 and R2-D2 from the episode where they guest starred. Not the small inserts they're in.

And maybe one of the Gilbert and Sullivan segments as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well whether some of those pieces appear on the discs or not, I'm sure that we'll get some great stuff on them.
You're right. I think my wishlists for the contents of the previous Old School sets (and the 40th anniversary DVD) only had a handful of clips that made it to the releases, and yet those releases are still great.

In a few cases on that list I just listed characters or recurring segments. So if this contains any of those, you very well COULD say I got what I wished for on a technicallity. I hope it has some great rare segments that I've never heard of... Of course if I hadn't heard of them then I can't wish for them (then again, that's where listing rare characters like Deena and Pearl and Aristotle come in).

I'm sure the classic cuts will include more segments that have been released on DVD than I listed. Though I hope it has a different Dr. Nobel Price segment than the one that has been released on DVD (if any Dr. Price segments appear). Ditto with Teeny Little Super Guy. I'd like to see a segment where Brian Meehl performed Elmo, but I don't know the details of any of those segments.

Looking at the Muppet Wiki guides to these five season premieres over and over, I've noticed that quite a few main characters don't appear too much in the episodes, especially when compared to how much they appear in the first ten season premieres. Big Bird is in all five, being involved in the street stories and being the focus of three of the episodes. Six Bert and Ernie segments appear among the five episodes, while one Ernie skit without Bert is included as well. And there seems to be plenty of Oscar, Telly, and Snuffy. But among the episodes (at least Noggin's edits), there's only two appearances by Cookie Monster (both of which are Monsterpiece Theater segments), three by Grover, three or four by The Count, two by Kermit (both news segments), and three by Herry. There's three Two-Headed Monster segments, though one appears twice among the episodes (and it doesn't really matter to me how much Two-Headed Monster is on this). I wonder if the bonus clips will over-accomodate for this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, since The Muppets came out last year, it seems Disney had stopped using the Muppets Studio subsidary. Considering this'll be the first Sesame Street release with Kermit material since then, it'll be interesting to see if the copyright credits refer to Kermit as being a trademark of The Muppets Studio or The Walt Disney Company. Though the last few Sesame DVDs listed the word "Muppet" as a trademark of The Muppets Studio, and even after The Muppets Holding Company switched to Muppets Studio Sesame Workshop did continue referring to Muppets Holdign Company for a few years. So who knows?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Kermit, or no Kermit, they refer to the Sesame Street characters as Muppets anyway, and have to have the copyright info. So we'll probably see it on the upcoming season before we see this DVD release.

But I hope there's a good amount of Kermit on this release anyway.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Kermit, or no Kermit, they refer to the Sesame Street characters as Muppets anyway, and have to have the copyright info. So we'll probably see it on the upcoming season before we see this DVD release.
I don't think you quite understand what I was wondering. I wasn't wondering if they'll drop the "Kermit the Frog is a trademark of Muppets Studio" credit, I was wondering if it'll now refer to Kermit as a trademark of the Walt Disney Company instead, since Disney seems to be embracing its ownership of the Muppets now.

Looking at the Muppet Wiki guides, I've found that two of these five episodes will NOT be sponsored by the number 2 (12th season premiere was sponsored by 8, 13th sponsored by 12). It's a little interesting to see that after 11 seasons of the number 2 sponsoring the season premieres (since the numbers seemed to sponsor in numerical order) we get two in a row sponsored by other numbers, and then two in a row sponsored by 2. Yeah, it shouldn't be that odd, considering at the time they had no idea they'd be compiling the season premieres together on a commercial video format.

I know it's likely too soon to be talking about a potential volume 5, and I'm not sure if it'd be better to start another thread, but I've been looking at the guides for the season 21-24 premieres, and there's some interesting stuff there. The season 21 guide was compiled from a japanese program guide (meaning there's no known video footage of that episode out there yet), and the season 22 premiere is available at the Paley Center for Media (not sure if anybody has a copy). The season 21 premiere properly introduces Preston Rabbit, a character I don't remember nor am too enthusiastic to see, but after reading the guide he could be a great character. And the season 22 episode, where the cast honors Oscar on "Grouch Appreciation Day", has a number of old school characters in the plot, including Bruno, Simon Soundman, and the Two-Headed Monster (and Preston Rabbit again).

I've also noticed that Monsterpiece Theater: Gone with the Wind appears in both the season 22 and 23 premieres. Muppet Wiki notes that the 23 premiere shows it with the altered Alistair Cookie intro, but doesn't say which version is in the 22 premiere, but I assume it's the version with the original intro (it also doesn't say which opening it has, but I assume it's the longer library opening... Muppet Wiki does note one early-1990s episode that has Gone with the Wind with the second Monsterpiece Theater opening but also with the original Alistair Cookie scenes). It would be interesting to see that segment included twice, with different edits. I've also noticed that two of the Newsflash segments involving Little Red Riding Hood (the two that are NOT on the Silly Storytime DVD or at sesamestreet.org) appear in the season 21-25 premieres.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They'll probably include a "Kermit is property" thing too, but I've noticed they continuously credit Disney's ownership just for the mere mention of the word Muppet.

Sigh...

I wish Henson had that luxury. I guess it was made special for Not For Profit Sesame Workshop.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Henson still has the right to call the Fraggles Muppets

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, JHC has to legally refer to any such characters under their ownership as "The Jim Henson Company Puppets", since Disney also trademarked the name under their own ownership... Sesame Workshop seems to be the only one they're allowing any kind of exception with: notice not only do they still get to refer to the characters as "Muppets", and we still get to see Kermit in older inserts with a property mention, but notice other such productions have to eliminate Kermit's involvement completely... Emmet Otter, Christmas Toy, among others, they all have to remove Kermit from the story.

The whole thing is really complicated, and somewhat confusing to be honest.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Emmet Otter and Christmas Toy releases happened quite a while ago, when Disney just bought the rights to the characters. Disney's been a lot more open with Henson releases since (otherwise we probably wouldn't have had Henson's Place released on DVD). If they were to rerelease those, I'm sure Disney would allow them the use Kermit on them. I mean, Sesame Workshop worked them down to let Kermit appear on the Fairy Tales DVD cover. And that was after a LOT of negotiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.