Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
As entertaining as I find everyone's theory about the disclaimers, and as much as I support cynical Elmo-era bashing, I do think that people's responses to this have made it a much bigger deal than it is.

The show's purpose has always been to reflect the popular aspects of television/pop culture and use them to engage and teach young viewers. The world changes, television changes, Sesame Street changes. Whether we like it or not, the Sesame Street that preschoolers watch today is not the same as the Sesame Street from other eras that we celebrate, and the disclaimer may therefore be deemed necessary by either the legal or marketing folks at Sesame Workshop.

Also, remember that Bob's wording on the first volume of DVDs was simply that the shows "may not meet the needs of today's preschoolers". The commentary and hysteria that has ensued would lead some to believe that the wording (or the intention) was much stronger than this.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If they said something to the extent of "these are for collectors, and your child might not be as interested in them as you are," it probably would have worked better.
Actually that probably would have made more angry, lol. But that's just me. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Also, remember that Bob's wording on the first volume of DVDs was simply that the shows "may not meet the needs of today's preschoolers". The commentary and hysteria that has ensued would lead some to believe that the wording (or the intention) was much stronger than this.
I just question their motives that's all. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Boy, if the Old School sets are going to continue, I'm RULLY going to be looking forward to a Volume 4 set, because that would cover 1984-1989, which is my personal favorite little era of the show. A Volume 5 set covering 1989-1994 would also hit close to home for me, because that's the SST I was introduced to, and that's the one I grew up and learned with those first few years of my life, but then again, 1992/1993 is considered the end of the "Old School" era.
I'd be mixed about an Old School 5. I think a 4th set should break tradition and have 6 episodes to cover up to the first episode of 1990 and then end the old school line for a similar release of "Sesame Street: Slightly more Current."

Other than that, I do agree. The 1980's was when Sesame Street achieved perfection, having more coherent linear street stories, showing things from all he previous years going back as far as the beginning, yet integrating it with new segments. it had the best mix of classic and current, and most things from the 70's didn't seem dated at all and remained quite fresh. Took me forever to realize certain Ernie and Bert bits were that old.

I laugh at the "needs of today's preschoolers." That says "we listen FAR too much to too many opposing child psychologists. Really... "Needs." Eh, whatever... I don't think 2 year olds would grasp the quality and educational content anyway. Though there is one tiny good point they make... this Sesame Street was for kids 4-6. 6 at most, maybe 7. Now it's for 3 and under. And honestly under 3 hasn't developed enough brain tissue to grasp concepts.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I laugh at the "needs of today's preschoolers." That says "we listen FAR too much to too many opposing child psychologists.
Who forgot what it was actually like to be a kid a long time ago. Too busy memorizing textbooks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd give you the "don't get me started on child psychologists" bit, but I don't want to. Some of the really bad ones read too far in to things.

But Child Psychologists have always been part of this series. It's just a matter of "what the heck happened?"

I betchya the disclaimer was created by the same SW employee that screwed up the "Cookie Monster is going to have more healthy choices" PR. Either way, noisy news has to bring popularity back to a popular kid's program due to all the junk on the competing networks.

But hey, I'll take all the annoying, stupid, yet easily ignored disclaimers if it means we're getting Old School Sesame on DVD. Though there is a discrepancy... they have some very suggestive innuendo based T-shirts with Elmo on them. I guess an overly long bit about cows is more damaging to children. :rolleyes:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You knew this was comming... Here's my wishlist for the season 11-15 classic cuts. Note that the five season premieres include two Monsterpiece Theater and two Geometry of Circles segments, so I won't list any of them among the bonus segments (I will be pleaseantly surprised if we get a bonus Monsterpiece Theater segment here, particularly because there aren't too many others from this era). And of course I'm bound to be wrong about some of the seasons.

Season 11 Classic Cuts
  • The Leslie Mostly Show: The Count
  • We Coulda
  • Letter's Make Words
  • Alphabet Chat
  • Mystery Guest
  • I Am Proud of Me
  • Born to Add
  • Anything Muppets Look for V
  • Bert and Ernie: Pigeon at Window
  • We're All Monsters

Season 12 Classic Cuts
  • Fuzzy and Blue (and Orange)
  • Deena and Pearl
  • If I Were
  • I Can Do It By Myself
  • Dancing Dog Imagines
  • Cookie in Glass Cage
  • Early Forgetful Jones
  • News: Dr. Nobel Price's Talking Stick
  • The Count and Countess
  • You're Alive
  • Name That Food!

Season 13 Classic Cuts
  • Diana Ross: Believe in Yourself
  • Singing and Dancing Waiter
  • Long Time No See
  • Making Crayons
  • Dance Myself to Sleep
  • Triangles at Museum
  • Headwarmer Salesman
  • Thinking of U
  • Aristotle
  • Honk Around the Clock
  • Everybody's Song

Season 14 Classic Cuts
  • James Taylor: Up on the Roof
  • Super Grover: Computer
  • Google Bugle
  • Bert and Ernie: Snowman
  • I Love Alaska
  • Oscar and Bruno
  • Angry Annie
  • Ferlinghetti Donnizetti
  • All by Myself
  • Two-headed Monster: HONK

Season 15 Classic Cuts
  • Teeny Little Super Guy: Danger
  • Proud to be a Cow
  • D-U-C-K-I-E
  • Ask Oscar
  • Health Minutes: Teeth
  • Sneak Peek Previews
  • Home Run on the Range
  • Street Garden Cooperation
  • The First Day of School
  • Just Because

I'm sure there's a lot of great film and animation segments from this time period that I'm either unaware of or unaware that they're from this time period. I'm sure there'll be more animation and film for each season than I put in this wishlist. Same with celebrity appearances.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
You knew this was comming... Here's my wishlist for the season 11-15 classic cuts. Note that the five season premieres include two Monsterpiece Theater and two Geometry of Circles segments, so I won't list any of them among the bonus segments (I will be pleaseantly surprised if we get a bonus Monsterpiece Theater segment here, particularly because there aren't too many others from this era). And of course I'm bound to be wrong about some of the seasons.

Season 11 Classic Cuts
  • We Coulda
  • Letter's Make Words
  • Alphabet Chat
  • Mystery Guest
  • I Am Proud of Me
  • Born to Add
  • We're All Monsters

Season 12 Classic Cuts
  • Deena and Pearl
  • If I Were
  • I Can Do It By Myself
  • Dancing Dog Imagines
  • Cookie in Glass Cage
  • Early Forgetful Jones
  • The Count and Countess
  • You're Alive
  • Name That Food!

Season 13 Classic Cuts
  • Long Time No See
  • Making Crayons
  • Dance Myself to Sleep
  • Triangles at Museum
  • Headwarmer Salesman
  • Thinking of U
  • Aristotle
  • Honk Around the Clock
  • Everybody's Song

Season 14 Classic Cuts
  • Google Bugle
  • I Love Alaska
  • Oscar and Bruno
  • Angry Annie
  • All by Myself

Season 15 Classic Cuts
  • Proud to be a Cow
  • D-U-C-K-I-E
  • Ask Oscar
  • Sneak Peek Previews
  • Home Run on the Range
  • Just Because

I'm sure there's a lot of great film and animation segments from this time period that I'm either unaware of or unaware that they're from this time period. I'm sure there'll be more animation and film for each season than I put in this wishlist. Same with celebrity appearances.
Nice list, Minor Muppetz.

I hope these videos come on the DVD.

Also, I have to correct that "The First Day of School" is from Season 14, not Season 15.

zns

Reaction score

Season 11 Classic Cuts
  • We Coulda
  • Letter's Make Words
  • Alphabet Chat
  • Mystery Guest
  • I Am Proud of Me
  • Born to Add
  • We're All Monsters
Season 12 Classic Cuts
  • Deena and Pearl
  • If I Were
  • I Can Do It By Myself
  • Dancing Dog Imagines
  • Cookie in Glass Cage
  • Early Forgetful Jones
  • The Count and Countess
  • You're Alive
  • Name That Food!
Season 13 Classic Cuts
  • Long Time No See
  • Making Crayons
  • Dance Myself to Sleep
  • Triangles at Museum
  • Headwarmer Salesman
  • Thinking of U
  • Aristotle
  • Honk Around the Clock
  • Everybody's Song
Season 14 Classic Cuts
  • Google Bugle
  • I Love Alaska
  • Oscar and Bruno
  • Angry Annie
  • All by Myself
Season 15 Classic Cuts
  • Proud to be a Cow
  • D-U-C-K-I-E
  • Ask Oscar
  • Sneak Peek Previews
  • Home Run on the Range
  • Just Because
Well whether some of those pieces appear on the discs or not, I'm sure that we'll get some great stuff on them. The anticipation really has me going. I hope that we see some cover art soon.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Well whether some of those pieces appear on the discs or not, I'm sure that we'll get some great stuff on them. The anticipation really has me going. I hope that we see some cover art soon.
Yeah! Me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.