1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by BigBirdABCDEFGH, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

When I read the DVD Talk review and saw that one of the bonus clips mentioned was Rainy Day Song, I thought the song title sounded familiar, though I thought it was a song sung by Bob (forgetting that that one is from the early 1970s). Then I looked it up on Muppet Wiki, and seeing the image looked familiar (for some reason I didn't get this sense of familiarity in the past when seeing the image in episode guide pages). But then I clicked on the link at sesamestreet.org, and it all came back to me. I recall seeing this segment as a kid, but hadn't thought about it or remembered it in who-knows-how-long. Sudden instant recall effect. Rewatched it several times, catchy tune, a number of the visuals came back to me just before I saw them in the clip. I am so glad that this particular clip is going to be included.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

HA! I'm sure Herald will be pleased, if that's the case.
  3. minor muppetz

Does the booklet include an interview with any characters, like the booklets for the first two volumes?
  4. liss1979

liss1979 Member

Just preordered my copy right now. When I read that the In/Out song was on there, I had to jump on it. I remember that song when I was a kid!!!!!!
  5. minor muppetz

The DVD Talk review referred to it as "In/Out with Barkley", so it's not actually the disco song with monsters.
  6. liss1979

liss1979 Member

Oh I know...I was talking about the song with Barkley
  7. minor muppetz

I had no idea the Barkley segment was a song. I had seen an "in and out" segment with Barkley and Maria, which I don't remember including any singing, and then I read here that that segment was a remake of a segment with Luis.

Well, we have just five more days until the big day (which coincidently is also election day... But the release of Old School Volume 3 is much more important! :))
  8. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I found another review that claims some segments have been removed for music rights. Unless they were referring to the theme song, I can't think of any that are actually non-Sesame songs except the Cab Calloway bit from #1576 and the Beethoven number from #1446.
  9. minor muppetz

Looking online, the Cab Calloway number is a parody, so I assume that shouldn't be a problem, and I thought that all Beethoven music had become public domain long before Sesame Street even started.

Still, I wonder if it's really due to any celebrity appearances. Though I think all of the celebrities in these episodes have appeared in material on other video and DVD releases. Not sure if clearing one appearance by a celebrity means all their appearances are cleared for video.

Then again, since the opening was cut, I wonder if this release cut every song written by Joe Raposo. It'd be sad if that was the case (I was looking forward to having "Dressed Up" on DVD).

I wonder what inserts (if any) will be included as replacements for the cut material. I'm torn as to whether I'd rather see them add rare inserts from before season 11 (since those wouldn't be included as bonus segments) or rare stuff from seasons 11-15 that didn't make it to the selection of bonus clips.
  10. Oscarfan

I keep saying the theme song is probably not a rights issue.
  11. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

If anything, maybe the kids seen in the opening theme sequences (who are now adults) want more money for their screen time. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I really disagree with this alteration and I'm still holding on to my logo-free Noggin recordings.
  12. minor muppetz

If there is a fourth Old School volume, I think it should do what is (apparrently) being done with the "Goodbye, Mr. Hooper" episode here, include the street scenes from certain episodes in addition to full episodes and classic cuts. Assuming volume 4 focuses on seasons 16-20, it'd be most expected that they include the street stories from Maria and Luis' wedding and Gabbi's birth episodes.
  13. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Like I said, they could easily blur them out. It'll look obvious, and stick out like a sore thumb, sure... but they'd be preserved.

I'm starting to think this is a mangled "favor" on the part of WB for marathon watching. But then, why isn't there that first one?
  14. minor muppetz

Actually if the opening was cut for purposes of marathon watching (how often do people "marathon watch" shows on DVD, anyway? And I think I'd still want to see the opening and closing if I was "marathon watching") the opening should be on the first episodes of both discs.

Was the same opening used for seasons 11-15 or did it change any during this time?

Even though I doubt I'll buy it, it's a shame that the opening was cut from both episodes on the Elmo's Magic Numbers DVD. Were the "Word on the Street" cold openings cut as well? The Kinect Sesame Street TV release has 30-minute edited versions of hour-long episodes. I assume the opening is cut from the episodes on that release.

Well, it's two more days until the big day. I wonder if we'll get a trailer tomorrow, or another review (I've only seen four reviews so far). We know it'll have Dr. Noble Price, but will it have Deena and Pearl, Aristotle, Bruno, Leslie Mostly, or Shivers the Penguin? We'll see soon.

For a brief bit I wondered if the opening was removed to save disc space, since it's five hour-long episodes on two discs instead of three, plus more bonus features than the previous two. I had thought if it were to save on disc space I would have happily gone without the animated storybook (I don't think any of us were begging for that kind of bonus feature on a release like this, even if it was a classic book). Then I remembered that disc 1 has three episodes (well, they could have maybe made it four bonus clips per season instead of five, but I think I'd rather have more bonus clips than the opening).
  15. Oscarfan

"Elmo's Magic Numbers" still has the WOTS bits; they immediately cross-dissolve to the main street story. The Kinect game does have the theme song though; though the title at the end is slightly altered.
  16. jonnytbird

jonnytbird Member

I know I haven't been on here for a while, but I'm super stoked about the new DVD box set! I kinda made a vow to not find out about the complete bonus classic cuts before I buy it in stores Wednesday, but I accidentally found out about it when I was just on muppet wiki. Maybe things will change because last I checked, it had 4 classic cuts listed for Season 12. And what's with "Henson Ball #3" being listed as Season 15? Truly, that must be some kind of mistake. Anyway, from now until Wednesday, I won't visit this site or anything muppet-related or nothing related to this box set. I know it'll be released tomorrow, but I'm gonna be super busy then. Wednesday, I'll have myself more free time. I'll share my opinions after I buy it.

Take care!
    Jon
  17. jonnytbird

jonnytbird Member

I just found out that it'll have Dr Nobel Price: Talky Stick! That was the only Dr Price moment where Warren Wolf interviews him and not Kermit. So far, it only shows 4 classic cuts from Season 12. So I'm hoping that something with Deena and Pearl will be added as short notice but who knows. At least we'll see Aristotle in Season 13 classic cuts. I don't think they'll feature Leslie Mostly, which kinda sucks cuz I was hoping to see the one where she interviews Guy Smiley. I don't even know if anything from Karen Prell will be featured either. Plus, I think Forgetful Jones from 1446 will be the only one that we see with Michael Earl.
  18. minor muppetz

Regarding season 12 having 4 instead of 5 clips, I wonder if that was an oversight. I noticed that on the Honk Around the Clock page lists Old School Volume 3 as a video release yet that's Honk Around the Clock is not listed on the page.

According to Muppet Wiki's Sesame Street News Flash page, the "Talky Stick" is actually a microphone, not an umbrella. And I don't see anything in the listing about a "Dr. Noble Price Umbrella" segment. It could be the segment listed as "in the rain" or "weather around the world", or perhaps it was cut from Noggin (or added in place of something that's cut for rights issues).

Looks like there'll be at least three bonus Kermit segments, two of which are songs (I wasn't expecting two Kermit songs as bonus clips). I do find it odd that Henson Ball #3 is on there, since that's from season 2 and the redone ending is from season 6 (which is on the second volume). I'd be surprised if there was an alteration we weren't aware of (hopefully it's the powder ending).

Wow, only one celebrity clip? That's unusual.

I've noticed five clips I can't identify by title (including Trash Outta Heaven). I can get an idea from the titles, but still, it'll be fun to see what happens in those segments (I get a feeling most of them are films or cartoons).
  19. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.