1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Pre-Order Sesame Street Old School Volume 3 (1979-1984) coming to DVD 11/6

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by BigBirdABCDEFGH, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Are they going to bleep out any of the underscores of the theme song?

Seriously... How can a TV show NOT OWN it's own theme song? I'd love to see someone explain that one.

Edit: To clarify.. how can a TV show not own its own theme song if it's specifically written for it, and not using a song that existed previously (like Married with Children).
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

To share a slightly related anecdote, when I was at Comic Con one of the vendors asked me if I was interested in "old or new comics." I said "old, definitely." But when I suggested Transformers or G.I. Joe he said, "Oh, those are new." I was shocked, remember we're talking roughly 1983-1990 here! But in the grand scheme of things that's still considered new! Lol
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a music rights issue; the reviewer just made it sound that way.
  4. Drtooth

There's no other reason left to cut it, if that's the case. If it's a likeness issue with some kids or something, they can easily blur their faces out like they do in the Transformers DVD's with the commercial bonus features.
  5. KSiteTV

KSiteTV New Member

Hi,

I am the author of the DVD review for Old School Volume 3 at KSiteTV. I found this forum, trying to see if anyone had any insight on the theme music thing.

I grew up with old Sesame Street so some of my statements were based on memory (which could be faulty) and not fact.

To clarify some things:

- The only place I've noticed Fonzie was, I believe, in the promo for the earlier volumes. Still, he did manage to make it in there, when I think he would have been cut for a rights issue otherwise.

- Another area where I could be wrong, but the only time I recall hearing the Sesame Street theme as a music cue -- though there may be other places -- was at the start of the marathon episode, very briefly.

- I don't know what happened with the theme; I was or am assuming a rights thing or else it would have been on the menus or *somewhere.* Still such a bummer. I loved having all this stuff at my fingertips, and then one of my favorite parts was gone, which annoyed me.

- I did not know that about the closing credits just being on Friday! It's been 30 years since I saw these episodes as a kid, and I guess my faulty memory thought it was daily. Oops!

Thanks for reading, though... and if there are any questions about specific "Classic Cuts" I can pop it in and look it up for you, if it helps at all.
    Oscarfan likes this.
  6. Oscarfan

Oh, so Fonzie's just in a promo then? That makes sense; a sketch with him was on the last set. As I said, another recent Sesame DVD had full episodes, but lacked the theme song, so I don't think it's music rights; I think it's just an odd move they're trying to do. It's a shame they'd do it on the classic episodes, since the theme is what most people remember.

I have a question about the bonus segments though: I don't want to know what the rest are (don't want to be too spoiled), but how many are there? A different review listed 9 as "highlights" and said they run just under an hour. How many segments are actually included (without naming names)?
  7. Drtooth

I could see where that is confusion. Though, the previous Old School sets had the credit crawls as part of the classic cuts, since these episodes included were all Monday aired season premiers. In fact, it wasn't up until last decade when the Sesame Street credits came after every episode.
  8. KSiteTV

KSiteTV New Member

From looking at the first disc (since it's handy)

Season 11 bonus has 5 clips/segments under "bonus" plus audio commentary by Sonia Menzano. There's also one in there that would surely be "something that needs to be cleared," but it worked out.

Season 12 has five.

Season 13 has five.
  9. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

What about Seasons 14 and 15? Do they have 5 as well?
  10. KSiteTV

KSiteTV New Member

I'd have to look later on :) I got distracted and put on Sonia's audio commentary, and I'm a bit too lazy to stop it and go and get Disc 2 at the moment.
  11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Doesn't the booklet list the bonus segments?

Does the set contain any "Teeny Little Super Guy" segments?

Does the set include any of the following rare characters from this era: Aristotle, Deena and Pearl, or Leslie Mostly?

I know that many older episodes have the theme music playing at the end of the shows as the sponsors are announced, even on episodes that don't have end credits. I wonder how that's handled here. I wonder if Sesame Workshop has any copies of these episodes without the music playing at the beginning and ending, since when the music plays there is often talking over the music. I wonder if the music is muted or if any dialogue during these scenes are redubbed (in the old days a different character announced the sponsors by voice-over, so it shouldn't be too hard to replace those).

In the book Street Gang, it says that the producers decided from the beginning to let the songwriters own the rights to songs written for the show, so they could get the best songwriters possible and because the show was a non-profit production. Still, it's weird for the opening to be cut now after all these years. Also interesting in that it seems Sesame Workshop has never had any problems with releasing any song written especially for the show on any commercial release. I wonder if other Joe Raposo tunes are on here (I know Jon Stone and Bruce Hart are also credited with writing the theme).
  12. KSiteTV

KSiteTV New Member

You are right, I did check the booklet and there are 5 on each, plus four "Behind the Scenes" bits.

I didn't watch all of the Classic Cuts, so I can't speak for the rare characters... you'd have to see for yourself. I was mostly excited to see Forgetful Jones again... he was a favorite when I was a kid.
  13. minor muppetz

I'm pretty sure I know what that is. I've seen the back cover which has an image and I know it was in season 11.
  14. I'm hoping I don't have to buy that "Best of Ernie and Bert" VHS tape just to get a copy of I Don't Want to Live on the Moon. xD
  15. KSiteTV

KSiteTV New Member

If there's a way I can spoiler-tag here (I'm new to the forum), I'd be happy to list all of the extras... I just don't want to ruin it for anyone who wants to be surprised.
  16. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Active Member

Has anybody heard about what Classic Cuts will be on the Old School Vol. 3 DVD yet?
  17. minor muppetz

Do the episodes have introductions like the first two sets do? Are there any "disclaimers" that the set is intended for nostalgiac adults?

I feel like there's a way but not entirely sure.
  18. Oscarfan

Some of us are trying to avoid that; the fun is in the surprise
  19. KSiteTV

KSiteTV New Member

I didn't see/notice any. Each episode has a very cheaply drawn title card "Sesame Street, Old School Volume 3" that I think is said by Carroll Spinney as Big Bird with the episode number, but no warning about educational curriculums etc.

The menus have clips from the given episodes/extras running in the background.
    FrackleFan2012 and minor muppetz like this.
  20. minor muppetz

See the "A" icon? That's text color. If you change the text to white, text will appear invisible. The only way to make white text visible is to highlight. And that's how you can hide spoilers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.