Poetry.com is a SCAM

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I'm sorry Cooked Sashimi, but you misunderstood. It was because she put off following up on the "offer" that she found out it was a scam and saved the money, which was definately a good thing.
That's a good idea! Is it posible to submit any of your work to a local paper or magazine? I also read the poem, and I love it and your motivation behind it. But did you rully need a reason to be thinking of Richard? *wink*
My advice is to let your work be seen by those you know will pay due attention to it, and never mind what other people have to say.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I submitted a poem once, because I think submitting one allowed me to enter some other contest online. This, in itself, was a tip-off. I've been steadily ignoring their emails since. I think I allowed them to publish the poem in one of their anthologies, but I haven't shelled out any money for one.

Thanks for the info--I hope more people read this and save themselves the trouble.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
cooked sashmi: I didn't pay for anything, not because I realized it was a scam, it was because I kept losing the stupid letters they were sending me. It was only when I got the latest letter, asking about coming to a Convention in Las Vegas, and seeing the OUTRAGOUS prices for it. ($595 for the poet, $495 for each guest. Unless you were under 18 then your guests were only $295.) Seeing THAT letter, raised a few red flags in my mind, so I searched it out, and what I've told you is what I've found.

AndyWan Kenobi:
Oh, did you pay for one of their anthologies then? Cause if you don't....they won't publish it in it. (From what I've heard at least.)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yeah, I've entered their contests before but luckily didn't lose any money on it because I didn't buy the book. I got the convention invitation too, but I don't have that kind of money anyway, especially for such an irreputable organization. It's really a shame that they take so many people in like that...
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
[/B]Oh, did you pay for one of their anthologies then? Cause if you don't....they won't publish it in it. (From what I've heard at least.)
Supposedly I was published in an anthology too, but there's a good chance you're right about not getting in if you don't pay. After all, how can you check on it if you don't buy a copy? Though they need to fill the books so maybe they do publish the other poems anyway if not enough people buy the anthology.
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
They are a scam, preying on other peoples' intelligence and creativity to make a book they can sell without paying you anything. If they were NOT a scam then they would have offered a book to each person who submitted to them--instead they want you to buy a copy.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Oh, maybe I'm not in the book anyway. That's cool by me, though. At some point I hope to publish an anthology of my own--I've got about 120 poems around here somewhere...

:smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Awww, *hugs* the poem was very good. Its such a shame there are those dishonest scam sites out there :frown: