Pixar Vs. Dreamworks

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Disney not only doesn't have any 2-D features on the drawing board, they laid off all of the 2-D artists who didn't convert.

In fact, even their direct-to-video features are now going to be all 3-D. They closed the Australian Studio that did such nice work on some of those videos. Home video MAY still have a 2-D feature or two in the pipeline (I'm not sure), but if there are, that's the last of them. (That is, until 3-D pictures start to bomb or somebody else makes a successful 2-D film. But by that time, they'd have to completely retool the studio again and try to find the talent to make a 2-D movie, since they let them all go.)

:stick_out_tongue:

P.S. Rapunzel was originally being developed by Ron Clements and John Musker ("The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin"), but they were let go, too.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Cast my vote for Pixar. :smile: I like some of DreamWorks' stuff, but "Finding Nemo," et al, are just in a higher class in my opinion.

BEAR

Reaction score
Pixar is high quality in its animation, story, and casting. They never fail to bring us tasteful, classy and smart family entertainment.

superfan

Reaction score
I couldn't get over how much I enjoyed The Incredibles. My husband and I saw it on the big screen. The chase between Dash and Violet with the 'bad guys' in those (and I'm sorry for this wording, but...) 'crazy-spinning-mini-jets" things in the forest was absolutely fantastic.
Shrek I enjoyed thoroughly as well, and although Shrek2 wasn't AS good, it had its moments.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think Shrek 2 may be one of those rare examples of a sequel being better than its original.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I think Shrek 2 may be one of those rare examples of a sequel being better than its original.
Another example, is that The Santa Clause 2 was MUCH better than the slow, barely cheerful original.

As for Ice Age, I didn't like it at first, but after a while, when I watched it more, I loved it. Blue Sky did Ice Age, and a wonderful, touching short "Bunny". I can't wait for Ice Age 2: The Meltdown to premiere.

Kimp the Shrimp said:
i think that Sherk 3 and 4 are just going to be played out
Okay, I know that they're doing a Shrek 3, but since when did they announcer a Shrek 4?!

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Another example, is that The Santa Clause 2 was MUCH better than the slow, barely cheerful original.

!
Whoa whoa! Thats funny cuz I have to disagree with you one hundred percent on this one. I felt the original was the best. It was wonderful and sweet like a holiday classic should be. Then they had the second one with a giant evil Santa action figure type of plot. That one seemed more like an sci fi. Good to know that they are wrapping up the trilogy with something closer to what it all started with. And Ann Margaret is in it! Yowza!:smile:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
No question, Pixar's movies are just classic while Dreamworks movies are just bad, cheap CGI movies and tons of unneccesary sequels. For example, Shrek, Madagascar, and Kung Fu Panda

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dreamworks, as I said before, came a LONG way since Shrek and Shark Tale. I'd hate to lump Kung Fu Panda with the other two. Shrek and Madagascar were what they were, but Kung Fu Panda, both movies, were very masterfully done. When the first one came out, I almost missed it, thinking "oh boy, a cheap kung fu movie parody." I was delighted to see a deep story and a deep respect for Kung Fu films.m And NO stolen catchphrases. And the second one was even better. I don't think they should sequel the heck out of it, like they're threatening to... but it is a high quality film.

Like I said, they're actually maturing with their films and their humor. Megamind is shockingly sophisticated and adult for what it is. it isn't just a cheap super hero parody... it's a strong, sharp satire from the point of view of a villain who's own world is so romanticized, he's basically a bad guy for the sake of the game between him and the super hero... and he doesn't even realize how important that is until he's gone. I hate the trailers for ruining the surprise reveal, though.

Still, Pixar is the highest of quality... even though the Cars movies are more commercial and aimed directly at 5-9 year old boys. I'm so glad the next movie is Brave. That looks like something that puts story back as the most important element. I don't think we'd see too much merchandise coming out of that one.