1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Nick22 Active Member

I'm excited for this movie, but I'm hoping it won't be in CGI. I mean, my mind may change when I actually see it, but I'm just not a fan of taking characters that were originally 2D animated and making them CGI. It just seems inauthentic to me.
  2. Ignatz Member

How is Charlie Brown's hair going to look in CGI?
  3. Bliffenstimmers Active Member

Hate to bump but I don't know where else to put this. I figured this would be the right thread for it, and I figured it would give you something else to talk about, so check this out: There's a new Peanuts comic book coming out about Charlie Brown's baseball team heading for a tournament in Tokyo, Japan... a strange idea, but this preview looks nice! It seems to have the same charm and wit as the old strips and specials.
  4. Ignatz Member

I haven't read the preview yet but the premise goes beyond what I think where Charles Schulz wishes. I thought part of the series was that Charlie Brown and his baseball team would rarely suceed and this seems to be based around the idea that they are good enough to go on an international tournament.
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'd have to read the whole graphic novel when it gets released. I can't see why they can't just make it a 4 part comic arc first, but whatever. But so far, it looks pretty much like a graphic novelization of a TV special or the TV show. I dunno about the premise, but it really does seem like the integrity of the characters are being up held, as they are in every Boom Peanuts single issue comic.

I just hope that translates into the movie.
    Like every single Charlie Brown toy you've ever seen, probably.
  6. Teheheman Well-Known Member

I think that instead of that, I think that they invite Charlie Brown and his team to that tourney, but then it's revealed that they were the only team they could get at the last second or something to where they were the last team that could do it.
  7. snichols1973 Well-Known Member

Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown is one movie that remains rather faithful to Schulz's style, since the animation was filmed in vignette style, with every section of the video adapted from the original Peanuts strips of the 1960's, as well as a flashback to the first strip from 10/2/1950.

In his will, Charles Schulz requested that the Peanuts characters remain as authentic as possible and that no new comic strips based on them to be drawn. The latter part of his will helps prevent unauthorized fanfic stories which would deviate from Schulz's style, yet CN's Mad still managed to pull off the "iCharlie" parody....

Nevertheless, I'd think that Warm Blanket seems rather faithful to animating the Peanuts characters the way Charles Schulz would have wanted it to be....
    Ignatz likes this.
  8. Ignatz Member

As the piece was parody I don't think there would be any legal problem, they can't control that as much as they could when Mad Magazine parodied the characters when Schulz was alive.
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

10. JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

Apparently, this new Peanuts movie will be in CGI... and no, I'm not going to jump the "CGI sux" bandwagon since it seems like the only reason people are crapping on it is because it's so mainstream in films nowadays. For me, it's a matter of whether it will be done right.

As long as the movie looks more like this...
    [IMG]

...and not at all like this,
    [IMG]
    ...then I can dig it.
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Demonizing CGI just goes so far before it becomes incoherent whining. There are bad cases of CGI... mainly Brazilian Pixar ripoff studios... It's not quite as cheap as everyone thinks it is. That is, if done right. Sometimes it is more cost effective on a movie in lieu of something that would be too complicated to accurately get with real live special effects.

I'm pretty sure the Peanuts rights holders and the Schulz estate are protective of their characters enough to veto any major design changes to the characters. I don't think the movie would have even gone forward if they even suggested it. We are talking about a franchise that cannot make any new TV specials unless they're directly pulled from the existing comics. they've shown some leniency with the Boom Peanuts comics, but it seems those are done with a vigilant eye. This isn't a matter of buying a license and throwing together a script before it runs out/using a pre-existing script for something generic and changing names. This looks like it's going to be one under a fine toothed comb.
    JonnyBMuppetMan likes this.
  12. FunnyBear Active Member

I hope it's better that the Super Mario Bros. Movie and the Star Wars Christmas Special
  13. AquaGGR Active Member

I hope this movie doesn't follow the typical "Rated PG for Rude Humor" trend that plagues many CGI family movies nowadays. Most likely it won't, because it's Peanuts.
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Schulz estate would flip if they did. On the one hand, I'm sure they're very involved with the traditional Peanuts "8 year olds that talk like they're in a Woody Allen movie" humor. if not, if this film is bad, they can always pull a Seuss estate and say "No" to any other movie plans.

I read somewhere (TV Tropes, I believe) that John Huges wanted to make a live action Peanuts movie in the early 90's. Shudder shudder. Even if this did have fart jokes in it, it's sure to be better than Charlie Brown now having a racist Asian friend.
    AquaGGR likes this.
  15. robodog Active Member

If there is so much as one fart joke in my Snoopy movie I will personally hunt down those responsible and gut them like a fish. Peanuts is above that sort of crap.
  16. JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

Cartoon Brew put up some preview images of the new CGI Peanuts movie, and according to the article, we'll be seeing a teaser trailer soon enough. Going by my last post, the look Blue-Sky is going for has elements of both column A and column B (the latter only really in terms of sheer detail; I'm not sure if people ever wanted to see Charlie Brown with fully-rendered eyebrows). Here's a sample pic:
    [IMG]
  17. Drtooth Well-Known Member

It looks pretty much like I expected. Slightly better (in terms of design) than the Red Baron Video Game cutscenes. All while keeping true to the original design aspects. No "this is how Snoopy would look in real life" stuff like Scooby-Doo or Garfield. That's a plus.

The only question left is matter of script.
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  18. charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Here's the trailer, no luck if you wanted to get any hints about the script.

Collgoff likes this.
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

That animation is pretty special right there. They have a strange three way look between CGI, 2-D drawings, with a touch of stop-motion-esque. I really like that look.
  20. mr3urious Well-Known Member

Definitely looks a lot better than I thought it would. Has that right blend of CGI, stop motion, and traditional animation styles. :)